!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 16292 times)

Online lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #585 on: May 22, 2020, 09:13:25 PM »
Well I have made a start, the loop track has been pulled up. The Curved point leading into the station has been replaced with a Uni Frog rh point plus a longer piece of track to the crossover, feeds re attached, the point motor now needs moving slightly. Now waiting for glue to dry, I will now see if I can get the loop to run wider so I can have a island platform. I think that would look better in the station anyway. I could still use a un modified Curved point at the bottom of the loop but I do not want to chance it with all the luck I have with them. I think I will avoid using it, fortunately I have a few spare points I can use including a 3 way point. That needs re wiring all the feed wires felloff when I pulled it up on the old layout, still two frog wires fortunately.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #586 on: May 23, 2020, 07:58:09 PM »
Well I have made a start, the loop track has been pulled up. The Curved point leading into the station has been replaced with a Uni Frog rh point plus a longer piece of track to the crossover, feeds re attached, the point motor now needs moving slightly. Now waiting for glue to dry, I will now see if I can get the loop to run wider so I can have a island platform. I think that would look better in the station anyway. I could still use a un modified Curved point at the bottom of the loop but I do not want to chance it with all the luck I have with them. I think I will avoid using it, fortunately I have a few spare points I can use including a 3 way point. That needs re wiring all the feed wires felloff when I pulled it up on the old layout, still two frog wires fortunately.

Good luck Chris - hope the changes are successful and give you troublefree running  :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #587 on: May 23, 2020, 09:56:24 PM »
Thanks for the comments Derek, that's the plan, I have the main line connected up now and feeds soldered in position. The motor for the facing point had to be turned round and the feed wires would not reach the toe end of the point so I had to extend them using one of the excellent Gaugemaster kwikonnect connectors. I am at present again waiting for the glue to dry on the mainline track. I am taking my time, I want this section right and good running and nice connections with no kinks in the track. My next task is to see If I can get a nice loop in with a gap wide enough for a island platform, if not I will revert to the original plan but without the curved points.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #588 on: May 23, 2020, 10:17:55 PM »
Well more progress, from the point replacing the facing curved point I have a nice second radius curve to the station loop connecting to the point which leads off the loop to the goods yard. The platform will be a interesting curved shape on the loop side, that will be good making a platform for that some fun ahead. The track leading into the station has a nice gentle curve so I should have no running issues, looking forward to finishing this, pics to follow.
Lil Chris

Online degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #589 on: May 23, 2020, 10:23:15 PM »
The motor for the facing point had to be turned round and the feed wires would not reach the toe end of the point so I had to extend them using one of the excellent Gaugemaster kwikonnect connectors.
Hi Chris,
One of the best things Iíve seen for a while was recommended by @jpendle - Wago connectors, these would be perfect for extending wires if you run out of your Gaugemaster variant.

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #590 on: May 23, 2020, 10:41:38 PM »
@degsy_safc , I think Chris bought an assorted box some time ago on my recommendation.

But the specific ones I use are these

https://www.wago.com/us/lp-221

I find the 2 way and 5 way the most useful.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #591 on: May 23, 2020, 11:15:41 PM »
Thanks Derek and John, yes I have a box of Wago connectors has well. I find they work better with thicker gauge wire but I have used both on this layout. I have laid another point on the end of the curve, I drilled the holes for feed and motor and frog and then glued the point in position. I had to re route the point feed wires but fortunately this time they were long enough to reach the new position. I intend to try and finish it tomorrow but it is looking good. I want to finish this and start on the scenery which I enjoy the most. I have a few tunnels planned on this layout, four to be precise and as with all tunnels you need a reason for the tunnel. I have made some mistakes on my previous layouts, ie one tunnel going under another, another tunnel too near the edge of the board for the support walls etc. This layout will be a tale of two halfs, the right side a small station going through a built up area with house's etc, the left half the train will run through open countryside over bridges and viaducts, I am looking forward to this.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:16:51 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Online degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #592 on: May 23, 2020, 11:24:43 PM »
@degsy_safc , I think Chris bought an assorted box some time ago on my recommendation.

But the specific ones I use are these

https://www.wago.com/us/lp-221

I find the 2 way and 5 way the most useful.

Regards,

John P

Iíve bought the 3 & 5 way - best thing Iíve seen for ages  :thumbsup:

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #593 on: May 23, 2020, 11:36:55 PM »
I forgot to add I need to finish my control panel, I want to have led's showing the route. I have bought two Mimic sets, the first I bought is red and green led's. The second set is green only and I soon realised I would soon run out of the green ones to show the route so I have ordered a extra pack today. The other thing I need to do is get my Castle run in on my rolling road, then I can give it a run.
Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #594 on: Yesterday at 07:56:56 PM »
More progress tonight, the station loop track has been laid,, I had it down once but had to pull it back up when I realised the point was damaged, it looked like a new one too. Fortunately another point was found in my spares box, frog wire attached and now that is down instead. I also have the Castle running on the rolling road having a running in session, I need to read up and find out how to activate the sounds. The next job is wire the feeds for the loop, I am at present waiting for the glue to dry. I have also moved the head shunt for the goods yard, it originally followed the main line. The new thought is to possibly have a level crossing before the overbridge, it will just add a bit more interest.
Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #595 on: Yesterday at 09:29:05 PM »
Just finished wiring the new station loop, I am happy with it I cant see any forceable problems with the curves. I am going to fit the second goods yard point while I have the soldering iron out.

Update: I have just fitted the second goods yard point which was a bit more difficult than I thought. One of the leg supports was in the way so I soldered a short piece of track to the point, I have now glued them down. Because of the shortage of room the plan is to fit the feed wires to the piece of track otherwise I will not have room for the motor.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:12:45 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal