!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 16855 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2020, 06:06:24 PM »
That setting for the viaduct looks perfect.  :thumbsup:

Seconded!

Online cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2020, 09:07:55 PM »
That setting for the viaduct looks perfect.  :thumbsup:

Seconded!
:hellosign:
Absolutely Third that's looking superb Chris  :thumbsup:
       regards Derek

Online lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2020, 09:54:14 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments. Tonight I have sorted the approach to the viaduct on both sides. The middle of the two scenic boards is a track join so that was important to get right, I am waiting for some glue to dry now. Tomorrow night I will fix the final board join track screws in place and maybe solder some track over the join. The screws for the low level track leading over the monkey bridge are already in place waiting for the track. I went to the model shop today and bought another three lengths of code 55 unfortunately he had no medium radius points in stock but he has placed some on order, they will be uni frogs, but thats ok with me. I have plenty to do so I can leave the station loop and goods spur for now and concentrate on other things.  One thing I have done is modify the second curved point at the other end of the station loop, I have now fitted that in place so that I can complete the main line which after s bend curves leads over the monkey bridge. One thing I have changed is the position of the second curved point, I have moved it to the right slightly away from the crossover bridge, so the loop will be a touch shorter but I think it will look better. With moving the point the curves have moved slightly to the left and will be a bit more curvy, still nothing tighter than 2nd radius, it should look good though. I will post some more pics when I make more progress.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 09:56:21 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2020, 06:38:31 AM »
That all sounds like good progress, Chris.  Let us have some more picutures whe you get the next bit finished.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2020, 09:18:56 PM »
Thanks Laurence for the comments here is the latest track update. I am concentrating on the finishing the low level before finishing the high level. It is just has well because like I said I had to recaculate some of the curves. I have managed to lay the outer track over the board join towards the monkey bridge. While I was waiting for the copydex to dry on the track, I started on fitting some of the feeds I had missed  on the awkward curves, I managed it without damaging the sleepers and burning myself. I have run out of feed wires so I need to make some more, its remembering that on the front boards the wires are the other way round. I am using brown and blue, brown is the inside of the track and blue the outer rail. I do not think I have made any mistakes yet, that's tempting fate of course. Here is  the latest pic of my progress.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2020, 09:54:33 PM »
 I went to the model shop today and bought 4x more lengths of code 55 and some more cork, even though I bought 3 pieces on Tuesday. I also wanted a left hand med point unfortunately Peco only sent him rh points even though he ordered them at the same time has a box of code 55. I will wait while he gets them because I know he will be getting unifrogs and that suits me fine. I have gone over the track I have laid and made a few tweaks here and there, I have also checked each piece of track has feed wires, I found a couple I had missed. The bigest problem today was finding where I could put the track feeds after the track join's between the two scenic boards. There is a small over ( low) road bridge then  hill where the signal box will be then the monkey bridge. I decided to put the feeds just after the board join, the wires will be hidden behind the bridge suport wall, at least thats the idea, I drilled bigish holes in the board beneath the bridge position for the wires to pass through. The track board joins are soldered down to the screws, just before the join the track curves round has it is dropping some height but I noticed a slight dip. I first noticed the dip when the board was on it's side, so what I have done is pack the track there with two layers of cork to level the track out. The next job now is to finish the high level track over the viaduct, so I will have to fix the viaduct in it's final position ready for the track. Some of you may notice on the picture that I have been generous with the track spacing round the sweeping curves, this to avoid problems with running, I think it will look better once the scenery starts to appear. Most of the curves on the left scenic side will be hidden anyway, I have yet to decide where the tunnel mouths will go.
Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2020, 10:15:20 PM »
I have just glued the viaduct section in position ready for the next phase of building. Just thought I would post a pic showing the layout.
Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2020, 10:18:55 AM »
Something I have noticed since placing the viaduct in position is the little stacker truck on the factory scene has gone walkabouts. I did have a vacuum session yesterday so I need to check inside that, or I might find it with my knees which would be painful.
Lil Chris

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2020, 10:20:44 AM »
or I might find it with my knees which would be painful.

I've got that t-shirt too  :o

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2020, 10:58:24 AM »
or I might find it with my knees which would be painful.

I've got that t-shirt too  :o

Yes, been there and done that.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #220 on: February 01, 2020, 10:00:07 PM »
More progress tonight, I have finished the rail over bridge structure ready for laying the track over on the rh high level. I have also laid the track round the curves from the fiddle yard and part way over the viaduct, that was a tight squeeze but I have managed to keep within a minimum of second radius. In the scenic sections the track is glued with copydex, the advantage is if you make a error when its dry just slide a thin blade under the track and your ready to make any corrections. The only problem I find is if you drill through where there is some copydex it gets wraped round the drill so I miss sections for the feed wires. The curved section I have laid tonight needs the feed wires sorting out yet. I still need some more track, I was trying to avoid having a track join on the viaduct because that would cause a problem with feed wires to that piece of track. I was also trying to avoid using old pieces of track so I might have to go to the model shop again and buy another couple of pieces of track to or use some old track after all.
Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #221 on: February 02, 2020, 06:03:50 PM »
Well this afternoon I completed the up track over the viaduct including feeds. I have finished the up line apart from the fiddle yard at the back which needs connecting with a short piece.
I was using a old Burgess soldering iron I have had for years but unfortunately it has packed in. It was good for soldering to the side of the track adding the feed wires, with having a small tip. I am not complaining I have had my money’s worth out of it,40 years approx. I have ordered a new small tip Antex iron from Rapid online. My main soldering iron work station has a very short lead and a very short mains lead too, so using a small iron was a lot easier. I have run out of code 55 new track now so I will wait till Tuesday when my model shop opens and hopefully my new iron will arrive by then. I had a crawl under the layout this afternoon, I try to avoid that nowadays. I did not find the missing stacker truck, but I did notice a point on the fiddle yard with no feed wires. So I am nearly there, I have done a bit of track tweaking in places, there are one or two places I need to keep a eye on when I finally do a test run.
Lil Chris

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: February 02, 2020, 06:19:23 PM »
You are progressing well Chris - your model shop must love you!  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #223 on: February 02, 2020, 06:55:38 PM »
Thanks @dannyboy yes they do at the moment spent a fortune recently. Here is my latest track update pic. I must admit I was nearly tempted to use some of the old track but the soldering iron packing in sealed it, it can wait a couple of days I want it right. I did have a slight problem this afternoon with one of the new board joints, I was trying to fix it when the soldering iron packed in so that will be the next job.
Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #224 on: February 03, 2020, 05:35:08 PM »
Well today I could not wait till tomorrow to get the track so I went to the second model shop in the area I know of, bit of a trip but I bought two more pieces of code 55 so I could finish the main line.I have laid the track now across the high level section. Tonight I will make a start on the track feeds, it means moving my soldering workstation, like I said its good but the leads are a bit short. I might have a change and make a start on eother side of the viaduct. You need a good reason to have a vidauct so really I need hills on each side to justify the viaduct.
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal