!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 16837 times)

Offline ptopo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #195 on: January 24, 2020, 11:35:27 PM »
Hi Chris, after being away a while Iím really impressed with the scope of the new layout - a really nice vision of a plan and coming along really well. The old layout was super so this has oodles of promise.

Iíve not quite got my head around the fiddle yard issue from the pictures but my best advice (to anyone) is not to stick down track but instead hold it in place with v. small screws between sleepers, itís then dead easy to move around if thereís problems. They can stay in until ballasting and removal the screws at the end and fill the holes with ballast. Sorry if bleedin' obvious.

On track laying I took and adapted my dads most sage advice, think four times, measure three think twice more, then act. Unless youíve had a beer... :beers:. Itís why my layout is taking so ruddy long...

V best, PT

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2020, 10:46:27 AM »
@ptopo thanks for the kind comments. The track in the fiddle yard is pinned down and i have no intention of ballasting it so change will be still possible. Tonight i intend to carry on laying the track over the board join,like i said previously i might finish laying all the track on the scenic boards too. Then its the wiring that will need doing,with the boards like they are i can seperate them and turn on there sides to make the wiring easy. The plan is four seperate sections,basically the up an down lines,a short on one does not close down the whole layout.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2020, 06:25:51 PM »
Thanks for all the updates, Chris. I'm looking forward to seeing some trains running, soon. You've certainly made very rapid progress.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2020, 07:54:12 PM »
Thanks Chris, after reading the other post...https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=48053.0 Ricky was having the same problem has me on my old layout. Seeing has I have a curved point in a similar place on my new layout which is a awkward place to work on ie near to a board joint, I decided to take the plunge and modify the brand new point I bought yesterday. I have done the same has the oo guys, I saw a guy doing it on his layout on youtube so thanks Charlie. Of course it is a lot more fiddly on N-Gauge the hard part is cutting the little link joining the two switch rails and of course soldering between two sleepers. I staggered the two links so has not to weaken the structure of the point, here is a pic of the modified point, there is a arrow pointing to the link that needs cutting plus of course the wire that leads to the frog which I have soldered a wire too, to attach to my Cobalt motor switch for frog control, just hope it works. Its too late now I have done it but hopefully no more problems with at least two of the loco's I remember having problems before.
By the way I left the black wire attached to one of the links in the picture so you can see how I did it, you cut that off before fitting to the layout.

Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2020, 09:05:37 PM »
Well a bit of a nightmare tonight, like I said the two lower tracks going over the board are at a slight angle because of my error. It is not a good idea crossing over a board joint at a angle, I had the problem of marking the track and soldering the rails and then the inner rail moved in the sleepers. Also trying to get the fish plates onto the point was a nightmare. The rails end of the point did not look parrarell, new point ?, and under the eaves so hard access. I wanted to have one piece of rail around the curve and then crossing the board joint ie no track joins especially on a curve that would be asking for problems. I have filled the swear box tonight I can tell you, I should have enough for a sound loco soon. The gap where the track joins the point on the inner rail is slightly large can anyone suggest something I could fill it with, the rail won't move now its soldered in place. I have packed in for tonight and turned off the soldering irons, I have the high level track to do tomorrow but I will not have the same problem with that one it is more straight, still one piece of track though with a curve.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 09:07:25 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #200 on: January 26, 2020, 04:53:14 PM »
Well this afternoon I managed to reduce the gap on the inner rail. I put the soldering iron on the rail joint and loosened it then managed to push the rail through the sleepers and reduce the gap,I then resoldered the joint. I have now fitted the first point of the crossover along with a straight piece and fitted the droppers. The next stage i need to cut some ply for the high level where it comes through the back board,I will do that tomorrow.pics to follow.
Lil Chris

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #201 on: January 26, 2020, 05:08:07 PM »
Well this afternoon I managed to reduce the gap on the inner rail. I put the soldering iron on the rail joint and loosened it then managed to push the rail through the sleepers and reduce the gap,I then resoldered the joint. I have now fitted the first point of the crossover along with a straight piece and fitted the droppers. The next stage i need to cut some ply for the high level where it comes through the back board,I will do that tomorrow.pics to follow.

Congratulations, Chris. Well done.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #202 on: January 26, 2020, 10:31:21 PM »
I have revised my plan for the small station, it was always going to be mainly a through station. I was thinking of a island platform on the up line but has soon has I fitted the curved point leading from the fiddle yard I realised there was not enough room. The curved point is basically a large radius point and takes up some room so it is now going to be slow line allowing small trains to stop at the platform. I will install a trailing point or possibly use a slip to allow access to a small goods yard for operational interest. Would you believe I am running out of new code 55 track and I bought nearly a full box. All the fiddle yard is new track, this part of building the layout is very enjoyable, ie sorting the track and I am taking care to lay it properly.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2020, 10:14:00 PM »
More work today on the rh side boards. I cut the ply that is forming the high level section and fitted cork in position, After the nightmare with the two low level tracks with them being curved I have approached fitting the high level tracks in a different way. I sorted the screw positions out then put the pieces of track with a slight curve over the screws. I then cut the sleepers where required and soldered the sides and under the track. After tinning the screws ready I placed the track over the screws and clamped in position and then soldered the two tracks to the screws. The track needs the curves finishing on the fiddle yard side a join piece and feeds adding, but that will be a doddle after yesterdays exercise. I can also do that when I have split the boards before making a start on the electrics. When I install droppers on the high level section I have already drilled some large holes to enable the wires to go below the main board, I might make a larger access hole for incase of any future problems, trying to think ahead once scenery is in the way. I am not sure where to put the spur off the loop for the goods yard, t needs to be at the bottom somewhere because I need room for station access.

This second pic shows the fiddle yard the other side of the board join, the tracks still need joing up.
Lil Chris

Offline ptopo

• Awards
« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2020, 07:54:28 AM »
Oh yes...! That’s going to make for great operation and running.

:thankyousign:

Regarding the point modifications - I’d read about that approach and couldn’t quite get my head around the advantage vs the normal dropper from the frog (sorry, it’s been so long since I did point works). Is it to stop mis-timed switching of the frog polarity and actual movement of the switch rail causing a short? I dimly recall having this problem with some polarity switching options.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 10:40:35 PM by ptopo »

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2020, 08:33:40 AM »
You are making cracking progress Chris, the layout is coming along a treat  :beers:

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2020, 10:11:15 AM »
Thanks guys for the comments,regarding the point modification it's when you have problems with some loco's with the wheels catching the switch rails when they come round the curve and hit the point. I had this problem on the old layout with at least 3 loco's,i seem to remember one was my class 47 diesel. I checked back to backs etc at the time,even bought a gauge to do it with. I read a post the other day in the track section where somebody had the same problem so decided i would try to avoid it this time.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 04:31:41 PM by lil chris, Reason: spelling »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2020, 05:23:22 PM »
More work today, to make life easier in installing the track I have assembled all four boards. The high level is now approaching the viaduct, the next job is to build the high level structure it might be a good idea to bring the low level track round first. I need a lh point to complete the station loop for the goods access. I was trying to make do with what points I have left but it's no good compromising the plan for the cost of one point, I can still complete the main line. The track on the fiddle yard high level still needs connecting yet, I will do that after splitting the boards again. Here is a pic showing progress.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 05:24:23 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline Shropshire Lad

• Awards
« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2020, 05:26:34 PM »
Amazing progress Chris!

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2020, 05:38:47 PM »
That setting for the viaduct looks perfect.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal