!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 26211 times)

cornish yorkie and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #825 on: July 27, 2020, 01:59:19 PM »
Always good to support locally chris . Bridge looks good. Is the girder and sides / base structure being supported by piers?

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #826 on: July 27, 2020, 04:21:48 PM »
Hi Chris it will be stone walls and I plan on one arch for a road on one side to allow access to my station. I have built the girders and added the lower girders similar to the picture but I could not find the dark maroon paint I used for the upper girders. I used some LMS crimson but it is too bright, I need to tone it down, hence the visit to my model shop.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #827 on: July 27, 2020, 04:34:13 PM »
Look forward to more chris. The stone effect would look impressive

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #828 on: July 27, 2020, 10:08:57 PM »
Slight annoying problem tonight, the paint I used on the girders last night has still not dried, it is 70 plus in this loft so that should have helped. The paint is Precision LMS crimson, I gave the tin a good stir before use. Anyway I have gone over it with Railmatch BR Maroon tonight hopefully it will dry over the top, they are both enamels so should be ok. This has made it difficult now to do the stonework to support the girders, anyway I have still not decided what to use yet, printed version or some plastic stonework, I have both.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #829 on: July 28, 2020, 03:49:09 PM »
Well the s/h road bridge I bought yesterday was the wrong way round so I took it back today. Lucky for me there was a queue at the shop, Jim let me have a rummage through some s/h stuff in the back of his car while I was waiting, I found a old Metcalfe mill kit. There are 8 pages of card not sure if it is complete, I think that kit is a dis-continued Kit. I should be able to make use of it though, I also bought Metcalfe kit PN901 which is a builder kit of stone walling so happy now all I need for tonight.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #830 on: July 28, 2020, 10:52:56 PM »
I have been working on the rail over rail girder bridge, the girders are glued in place. I have now started working on the support walls using Metcalfe stone card. Yesterday I fitted the second Dapol semiphore signal on the high level, I was hoping it was long enough to be able to screw the nut on through the two boards. Unfortunatley no, I thought of struggling to fit the nut on the high level board but If I have a problem with the signal it would be awkward to get too even if I made a removable piece of scenery in front of it. So I have settled for putting a small screw through the base to hold it in position, I need to camoflage the screw somehow. The signal box will be fitted in roughly the position it is in now, I need to fence it off from the field along with the railway.

I should add this little signal box has been on every railway layout I have made. Originally it was on a layout made for my children in the 90's.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 11:26:26 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #831 on: July 29, 2020, 08:37:26 AM »

I should add this little signal box has been on every railway layout I have made. Originally it was on a layout made for my children in the 90's.

Now that is what I call recycling. Looking good Chris.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #832 on: July 31, 2020, 10:18:10 PM »
It is a bit warm in the railway room but I have progressed with the railway bridge. I dropped a clog tonight and was forced to re-do part of the structure, well it is 85 plus. There is a arch to the right of the girder bridge, well on the real one at Burrs country park there is a arch on each side, one is enough for me in this case with having the low level rail line. I made the arch to high, you could see the wood supporting the track, so I had to put another layer over the top and re cut the arch. I intend to put the stones over the top of the arch to finish it off.

It is a bit wider than I want, it was off a tunnel arch but should be ok.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:20:23 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #833 on: August 01, 2020, 07:40:05 AM »
That's looking very tidy, Chris.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #834 on: August 01, 2020, 01:37:13 PM »
Chris, looking forward to seeing the finished structure and how it fits in landscape wise.

Mike H  8)

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #835 on: August 02, 2020, 12:26:39 AM »
Thanks for the comments Dannyboy, Laurence and Mike. I have not yet decided what is going to the right of the bridge, there will be a road leading to the station on the low level from under the arch. I had thought of a level crossing in front of the bridge but felt it was too much plus the track is curved. I plan to end the wall from this bridge and have a grass banking break, then a wall behind the station, with houses or industrial unit on the top which will continue of the top of the low level tunnel.
Tonight I have been working on the bridge and the arch structure, I have made the wall for both sides and fitted a brickpaper arch to one side. I need to print out another copy of the arch stone work, yesterday I made the arch too tall but I managed to bodge that to something like. Tonight I made another error on the back wall of the bridge I cut it too short, but I have got away with that by extending it and making a join underneath the pillar. The hardest part was figuring how to fit the brick lining in the arch road bridge, I am happy with the solution I came up with. I am using Metcalfe stone card but to give it some strength I fix it to some mounting card used for photography. I have plenty of off cuts given to me by a friend which has come in handy. I will post some more pics possibly tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:38:22 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #836 on: August 03, 2020, 03:13:34 PM »
The scenery is really comong along very well, Chris. I'm glad that the coaches arrived safely and that you were able to add a matching brake end coach to complete the rake. I had not realised that the GUV was missing a buffer. The coupling should be easy to replace though.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #837 on: August 03, 2020, 03:26:36 PM »
Making progress last night and this afternoon, watching snooker while doing my modeling, bliss for me, not for everyone I imagine.
I am still working on the bridge's and things are starting to look good. I have the road arch in position now, just filled the gaps either side of the tracks before I fit the inner walls.

By the way the glue bottle is keeping the wall in place while the glue drys.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #838 on: August 03, 2020, 03:28:34 PM »
Thanks Chris, I have managed to get a coupling from my local shop but not a buffer, but it's no big deal I will find something sooner or later. I plan on doing a running session soon perhaps with those coaches in a train.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #839 on: August 03, 2020, 07:53:25 PM »
More progress on my stonework, I only need the coping stones now to finish the job.
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal