!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 17531 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #330 on: March 24, 2020, 08:41:55 PM »
Well I have done that but still have a fault. I have also made a blunder with my numbering system for droppers, the trouble was I was working backwords from the right board. I wanted to have consecutave numbers from left to right but I started work on the right board first because that is where all the electrics are located, back to the drawing board.......
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #331 on: March 24, 2020, 09:41:21 PM »
Finally sorted, the fault was caused by a pair of droppers to the wrong bus tag, down instead of up. It was in the centre of the board and with the board on its side its difficult to pin point each pair of droppers. Only one wrong out of all the droppers is not bad going, I need to connect some of the motors back up now after I dissconnected them during the fault finding. At least I did not wire any the wrong way round, blue outer rail and brown inner rail worked for me.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #332 on: March 25, 2020, 09:02:46 PM »
Like I said I sorted the track short last night, it was a bit of a longwinded exercise but I got there. Before I program the Cobalt motors I need to figure a way to control the 17 motors only using 12 switches on the Cobalt Alpha. My last fiddle yard was a pain to use even though I tried to colour code them, accidents were waiting to happen by the time you pressed the correct switches. My thinking this time is too number the sidings then have one switch control the two points ie one at each end of the siding. Just pressing one switch and a train can run straight through would be good, any thoughts or ideas on this would be appreciated. I now need to make notes of the wiring and make diagrams, not something I am not very good at but it needs doing, hopefully I will not do any more cockups......famous last words.....

Just thought I would add while working out my wiring I have found a tag strip with no feed so I need to sort that next.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:13:40 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #333 on: March 26, 2020, 07:41:41 AM »
My thinking this time is to number the sidings then have one switch control the two points ie one at each end of the siding. Just pressing one switch and a train can run straight through would be good, any thoughts or ideas on this would be appreciated.
Hi Chris

I have 46 points on my layout, but I have grouped them together as routes.  For all the mainline storage loops, setting a route operates six points, eight on the Millk Loop crossover and four on the branch.  In most cases, I have set each Cobalt with an individual DCC accessory ID and then grouped them in routes.  But for crossovers and the branch runarounds, I have given two points the same DCC accessory ID number, so that switching one accessory ID switches two points at the same time.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #334 on: March 26, 2020, 09:37:39 AM »
Thanks Laurence, I think I will do something similar , it is easy enough to program two or more Cobalts with the same switch.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #335 on: March 27, 2020, 09:06:59 PM »
I have drawn up a plan for the fiddle yard operation, basically points 1/2/3/4 control the up lines and 5/6/7/8 control the down lines, each switch controlling two points. For a train to go straight through the fiddle yard I only need to press 1 or 5 respectavily, simple. Number 9 controls one of the headers and number ten the crossover in the centre, leaving two switches spare. I am thinking of extending the sniffer bus to the right front scenic board and then adding Alpha AEU to control the anolouge motors. The plan is to have all the controls at the front of the layout mainly on the right hand side. I was going to program the motors tonight but I forgot about the broken point switch rail. It is the main point on the downline on the left side of the fiddle yard board, in otherwords all down traffic goes over it. I turned the board over ready to fix it and typically my small table lamp packed in. I think I have managed to glue it with superglue for now, I will see how it holds out. I have not got a spare point to use the same size, and it is a new unifrog point. If the worse comes to the worse I will fix it in the straight ahead position while the shops open again and eventaully buy a replacement. I am leaving it now tonight to see if the glue holds, the tie bar is still free, I have checked. Hope everybody is ok in these difficult times, Keep Safe.
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2020, 06:39:54 AM »
The problem with streamline points is that the spring holds the tie bar rigidly in place.  If you remove it, the tie bar floats around and the point blade can pop out of its socket.  With Unifrog points, there is no chance of a short during switching so it's best to leave the spring in place.  When the cobalt changes the point, there is a fairly loud snapping noise as the spring flips the blades across but, at least, that lets you know the point has changed successfully.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #337 on: March 29, 2020, 11:14:29 AM »
You are making great progress Chris, very neat wiring and loved the video tour of the layout   :beers:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #338 on: March 29, 2020, 12:56:14 PM »
You are making great progress Chris, very neat wiring and loved the video tour of the layout   :beers:

Seconded!

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #339 on: March 29, 2020, 03:54:59 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I made a diagram for the fiddle yard this afternoon laid out simple to avoid confusion. Last night I connected up the sniffer bus and my Cobalt Alpha Central, I managed to program most of the motors. There are two that will not program, one of them when pressing the button causes the sniffer indicator light to change to red indicating a fault or short. Unfortunately that motor is number one on my up line, due to the present crisis if the worst comes to the worst I will swap it for one of the lesser required motors. The other motor seems to have moved off centre but will not move again. I have managed to contact DCC Concepts and they have advised me to try giving the motor a direct feed on its own to see if that works. The sniffer bus is a low powered unit so wiring the two motors direct might move them. I could also remove the motor from the layout and try connecting the motor to the bus on my test track and using the handset to program it.
Once I have had a go at sorting those two motors I need to sort a few of the motors, changing the direction of travel using the 197 command. Keep safe everyone.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #340 on: March 29, 2020, 10:30:07 PM »
Well some good news, I managed to get the motor number 1 working with a a direct feed. Then after connecting it back with the others it now works correctly. The other motor that seemed dead, DCC Concepts told me if it did not work after connecting a direct feed to try connecting a switch to the end terminals to see if it would work that way, it does so that is good news. At least I can operate it in a fashion with a seperate switch for now while this crisis is over. I now need to program some of the motors to work in the opposite direction. You need to program 197, but I have forgot how to do it with the Alpha Central. I am sure I printed off a sheet a couple of weeks ago on how to do it,( programming cobalt motors with a accessory bus), I can not find it anywhere and whats more I did not seem to have saved it on the computer. If I did, I do not which computer and where I saved it, I am losing my marbles. I will have to go on DCC Concepts site again and find it.

UPDATE.....
I have found how to do it, a video on DCC Concepts site, it is a similar procedure to setting a digital clock, done quite a bit of that today with the clocks going forward, so easy to do.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 11:33:03 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #341 on: March 30, 2020, 08:56:08 PM »
Tonight I have programmed the Cobalt motors so they are syncronised. I have set up the Alpha switches so they are green for the selected route. Number 1 Up and number 5 Down are the two central lines, green indicates straight through. I still have a problem with one motor, but I can work round it, it is for one of the headers. The only other problem is the switch rail has come off again on the left number 5 point which is right unifrog. I do not have another point that size or I would replace it so I have ordered one on the Rails site. I can not see any messages to say they are shut for postal orders, it will be no big deal if that is the case there are more important things to worry about at the moment. I have tried to glue the rail again, I do not think it was quite in the correct position, Keep Safe everybody and keep modeling.
Lil Chris

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #342 on: March 30, 2020, 09:08:59 PM »
Chris. Rails have posted info on their website. They are open only for mail order and phone calls. Hope you get what you need
 Stay safe. Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #343 on: March 30, 2020, 09:46:58 PM »
 @crewearpley40 Thanks Chris, I did not see that must have missed it so there is some hope then of getting it in the next few days. Lucky for me with it being on the end of the fiddle yard it will be easy to replace, the track is pinned down so fairly easy.
Lil Chris

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #344 on: March 30, 2020, 09:50:19 PM »
It's on their website. Click on the link @lil chris that's got the cv picture. Everything explained.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal