!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 17529 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #315 on: March 19, 2020, 12:16:34 AM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
  Looking very neat & tidy Chris, admit mostly beyond my skill level but looking splendid   :thumbsup:
        regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #316 on: March 19, 2020, 06:54:12 AM »
Hi Chris

All you need to do to swap the action of a Cobalt is to send it the address 197.  No need to change the wires over, although you may need to reverse the DCC connections if the frog polarity is reversed.  Also, I find that removing the spring sometimes causes the switch rail to come adrift.  If you are using the new Unifrogs, there is no need to remove the spring and, in most cases there is no problem leaving the spring in place becasue the switching happens after the electrical contact to the point blade has been broken.  I had problems with shorts when using the internal switch on Seep motors and I overcame that by installing hex frog juicers, which I don't need with the Cobalts.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #317 on: March 19, 2020, 09:48:42 AM »
Thanks Laurence I am using the sniffer bus not off the dcc bus to control the motors. So I am using the switch with feeds from the dcc bus for the frogs. It will be a lot easier to wire them the correct way round for polarity of the frogs in the first place, I just need to study the diagram.
Thanks everyone for the comments.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #318 on: March 19, 2020, 09:23:47 PM »
More progress on the 2nd fiddle yard board. I have wired 6 of the eight motors, I have connected the down bus. I have also connected the sniffer bus to the tag strip, I still need to connect the feeds for the polarity switches to the motors. Still not got my head round to that yet, you can see the loose wires still not connected.

Ps I will stop posting these pics if its giving people nightmares with the wiring...........
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:17:22 PM by lil chris, Reason: extra text »
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #319 on: March 19, 2020, 10:55:41 PM »
Hi Chris,

Have you checked that the 'Sniffer bus' on your DCC system can control your accessory decoders?
The reason I asked is that as I understand it a sniffer bus is used to connect the main DCC output from one system to a second system that is then connected to the tracks.
So I'm not sure how you could get a DCC signal out of a sniffer bus to a decoder.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #320 on: March 20, 2020, 04:23:21 PM »
Hi @jpendle john, I am using a Dcc Concepts sniffer unit with a power supply which provides the bus for the motors. I am then connecting a Cobalt Alpha Central unit with built in switches to control the motors, all independent of my dcc bus.
Just thought I would add, using the Cobalt sniffer you only need two wires to the motors, so this system can be used on a dc layout. You can use the Cobalt Alpha Central like I am doing or use a Alpha AEU and use any type of switches including stud and probe.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 09:23:17 PM by lil chris, Reason: extra text »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #321 on: March 20, 2020, 10:07:53 PM »
Latest update, I have nearly finished the wiring on the left fiddle yard board. I have fitted the up bus and fitted 2 tag strips for the extreme left droppers,2 droppers on each. I finished wiring the two motor feeds from the bus so all motors are wired up now, still need to connect the switch wires. I will download another copy of the cobalt instruction sheet, I have confused myself writing on the other one not realising the wiring on there was for a different orientation of the motors. When you turn a motor round, most of mine are not at the toe end they are under the centre of the point because I have dropper wires at the toe end. Two motors fitted where a crossbeam was in the way are at the toe end. These two points where a after thought, ie a header on the two sidings to allow longer trains to be kept there. I was not planning on having any points in the centre of the fiddle yard, but has you know plans can change. I only have to solder wires now to the left tag strips and soldering will be finished.....hooray....hooray !!! So the job will be finished this weekend.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #322 on: March 21, 2020, 11:24:22 PM »
Well I decided to give the soldering a rest today. So I started on a job I have been putting off transferring my computer into a new smaller case. Everything working except no internet the built in network adapter as give up so using a I pad for this blog. I will get a add in network card on Monday from a local computer store,not pc world I may add. Itís a excuse for a ride out, I have ordered online for collect Monday. I will finish the wiring on the fiddle yard boards tomorrow, the next job will be programming the Cobalt motors before I turn the board over.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #323 on: March 22, 2020, 09:42:34 PM »
Well I am back in the railway room. I connected the two remaining tag strips and then realised I had not connected the two small tag strips on the rh side. They were a bit difficult to get the soldering iron into without burning other wires but after some messing around I managed it. I need to do some testing and make a note of all the connections for future refference. I still need to connect the frog switch feeds, I need to download and print off a couple of drawings but with my computer downstairs offline at the moment it will have to wait till tomorrow. At least I have finished the soldering on these two boards....I think.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #324 on: March 23, 2020, 07:53:27 PM »
Tonight I have sorted wiring the Cobalt motors using one of its switches for frog polarity. The thing to note is to forget the colours used, for a start I am using blue and brown. The outer rail is what matters and the orientation of the motor, most of my motors are mounted facing the other way because I have feeds at the toe end apart from two motors where a beam was in the way. If you do wire them wrong it is just a matter of swapping  s2-L and s2R over. But with 17 motors that would be a bit of a task so wiring them the correct way in the fist place helps. With my other computer back on line I downloaded and printed the diagram from Dcc Concepts site. There are lots of helpfull diagrams and videos on there to help wire their product range.

Just checked the motors on the right board and I have already wired them correctly, what a good do.....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:05:35 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #325 on: March 23, 2020, 09:35:41 PM »
Well bad news I seem to have a short between the two districts, I have tried dissconnecting tag strips to no avail. The next job is to dissconnect the upper tracks maybe I have a rails connected to the wrong tag strips. A job for tomorrow now knees are hurting.
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #326 on: March 24, 2020, 06:42:39 AM »
Take it one step at a time, Chris.  If necessary, have a look at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41012.25
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #327 on: March 24, 2020, 07:36:47 PM »
Well tonight I have realised what the fault is without needing to do any testing. For there to be a fault between the up bus and the down bus there had to be some wires connected to the wrong bus. With a fresh mind looking at the board I realised a big error, I have wired the outer track ( up ) to the down bus and visversa on the last two tag strips, so a simple job of swapping them over. Phew hopefully that was easier than  I thought.
Lil Chris

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #328 on: March 24, 2020, 07:44:10 PM »
Amazing what walking away from a problem for a while can do. Glad you got it sorted Chris.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #329 on: March 24, 2020, 07:52:04 PM »
Iíve always said that a problem is best walked away from.
Itís amazing how a break and a re-consideration often works wonders.

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal