!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 29993 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2019, 09:00:59 PM »
Nice, tidy work Chris. Like the locating dowels. Very professional-looking! :thumbsup:
:hellosign:
  I'll second that & hope you aquire all you need Chris.
         regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2019, 09:05:38 PM »
Hello everyone, I have done plenty today, I have built the right support frame, I have made it "L" shaped so it will stand alone. I have fitted the dowels to join the two fiddle yard boards, one was slightly out so adjustment was needed. The best way is to clamp the two boards together and drill a pilot hole through the both of them, I could not do that with these two fiddle yard boards because of a inner support, I won't make that mistake again. I have given the central support a layer of primer on the bare wood, it just needs glossing to finish it off. I have also drilled some holes between the boards for wires etc, I should be able to try them standing tomorrow before finishing painting the boards them selves.
Today I received a parcel with my accessory decoder, it should have been a 4 way but they sent two two ways instead, which as it happens might be better for me to wire up too my anolouge Cobalt motors.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2019, 09:08:11 PM »
Thanks Derek, @cornish yorkie things are progressing well. My order from the model shop has not arrived yet, might be later this week. I am enjoying doing this, once the boards are up things will start to take shape.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2019, 05:17:07 PM »
Some adjustments needed to be made this afternoon to my first fiddle yard board. Despite it only being less than 1mm out from one end to the other, which was easily adjusted the board was not level with the spirit level. On putting the spirit level on the floor I found out the floor on the right side of the loft room is not level either. So two pieces of 6mm ply later added to the supports on the left side of the board should do it, I will report back later the glue should be dry by now.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:22:47 PM by lil chris, Reason: spelling »
Lil Chris

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2019, 05:19:58 PM »
Looks good Chris.
I share your problems with floors not being level.
We live in a 200 year old cottage. Nothing is level!
All good fun.
Martin
Iíll get round to fixing it drekkly me Ďansome.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2019, 05:24:50 PM »
Thanks Martin, well I used castors on the old fiddle yard  and that was giving me problems with stock rolling to the left, now I know why. The main boards of the layout all had leveling feet so I had no problems with adjusting them. Its nearly correct now a couple of pieces of cork on top of the legs should do it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:25:53 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2019, 05:29:19 PM »
Well I managed to level the board,two pieces of 6mm ply on the two left supports and i also shortened the three right posts a touch. The fun will be making the left fiddle yard supports. I think I will just make them the same, it is easy enough to adjust them if needed to make them higher.
I have cut wood for the right scenic board and fitted the dowels ready, I did that ready while it was easy to line the boards up. I will not get in the railway room now till sat evening, not sure what to do next possibly painting.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2019, 03:30:53 PM »
I have done some tidying up last night in the railway room, making room for the second fiddle yard board. I can now proceed making the next set of legs for the left side of the fiddle yard. I have also made some tracksetta's out of some old drawer bottoms. I have made them in two sizes, 3rd radius and second radius, second radius being the minimum for this layout. I did have some first radius on the old fiddle yard which was a bit limiting. I am now planning the track on the first board to see where the points will be, then I can add some strengtheners in appropiate paces under the board before painting.

Well  Two strengtheners added on and now the board has been part painted with primer/undercoat.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 08:15:45 PM by lil chris, Reason: spelling »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2019, 07:42:27 PM »
More progress today, second ie lh support frame has been made for the fiddle yard board. Hopefully I have my measurements correct for the length of the legs. I will probably have to adjust the individual height after, I can always add height with pieces of ply or cork on top of the posts to get things level. I have also given both boards and the leg frames a coat of primer/undercoat.
Today I went to one of my local model shops, I bought some code 55 and a couple of points plus some of the excellent Woodland Scenics shaper sheet, I have seen a few guys using this on youtube to good effect. It's a little expensive but is a lot better than using chicken wire, once you put plaster over the top it is has solid as a rock, is that the name of a tune ?. Pics to follow in a few days when I have the boards set up ready.
Lil Chris

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2019, 08:03:01 PM »
solid as a rock, is that the name of a tune ?.

Solid As A Rock, Ashford and Simpson, 1984.

Nice to hear things are progressing Chris.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2019, 09:57:38 PM »
Thanks @dannyboy  Danny,the tune,  I knew I had heard of it.
Had some good news after checking one of my e mail accounts, I have a full licence for AnyRail and they have sent me the licence key so I might have a play with that sometime.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2019, 01:52:45 PM »
Well today I made a big investment in my Model Railway system. The Cobalt Alpha central system I ordered a couple of weeks ago from my local model shop has arrived, I also bought some cork to put under the track. I decided on the 1.5mm thickness because that looks about right after track ballasting to give a nice shoulder. I have also been to The Range and bought another bottle of Copydex to glue the track down, I prefer that too using pva. This is a early christmas present to myself, skint now till I get my pension.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2019, 04:54:28 PM »
Hello everyone, has suspected the second board was low on the left so modifications have now been made, ie 2 pieces of 9mm ply added to the supports on the board. I can make final fine adjustments after with pieces of hardboard or cork. There is no way I am having this board not level but I am getting there, pics to follow later when the boards are up, waiting for glue to dry at present. I can not wait to start laying some track, after I have finished painting gloss of course. It's crucial to paint the boards in this loft room with varible temperatures.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2019, 07:57:33 PM »
Well I have managed to level the fiddle yard boards, I had to fix two pieces of 9mm ply onto the board supports. I had to fix them to the boards because of the large thickness on the legs, I was losing the dowels. I can now finish painting the boards so they are ready for the next phase.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2019, 08:42:04 PM »
Hi everyone, well both boards and the supports are all painted now with gloss, I do not think I have missed anywhere. Doesn't this paint take ages to dry now adays, some has been on 24 hours and is still tacky. I can start planning the next phase now, I need to make a decision on how to power the layout. I have 4x psx circuit breakers, on the old layout 1 for the fiddle yard, 1 for the other 4 sections and two for the station, ie up line and down line. The idea being a fault on one would not shut down the whole layout, inevitably when a fault did occur it was on the fiddle yard boards which more or less shut down any running.
One thought was one breaker for each board but that would have the same effect on a fault. So I am thinking of 2 breakers for the fiddle yard 1 for the outer track/clockwise and the other for inside track anti clockwise. The same with the two scenic section breakers at the front, this should allow some running to continue if there is a fault. I also need to decide where to place my control panels, its fun working all this out. I am a person who has a plan in my head and work on it as I work on it, hopefuly it will all work out. I have learned a lot on the last two layouts and hopefully that will help me avoid the same pitfalls. I am so looking forward to laying some track, the right side of the fiddle yard will be first. The fiddle yard will be more conventional than the previous yard which wasted a lot of space, I will be following a plan in the the Peco set track book but using code 55 track and points, it should work.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 08:43:44 PM by lil chris, Reason: correction »
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal