!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 17204 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #270 on: February 20, 2020, 07:34:49 PM »
Well today I had a trip up to Settle with the good lady wife so of course I called in at Dcc Concepts shop.The weather was not too kind but she demanded we went up to Ribblehead so I duly obliged.
I have ordered some more bits today including a Cobalt value pack which includes some motor operating rods stickers etc. So I will wait for them to arrive before fitting the old motors,I must have used slightly thinner ply on the old layout, it will make fitting them a doddle. I have also decided to use Alpha aeu unit on the front scenic board with a small mimic panel for the station and goods yard. When I have been looking through the old wiring for my control panel I noticed some of the soldered connections on the 25way connector where loose. With my present eye sight it will save trying to solder those back. So tonight I will move the jumper panel that needs moving and then possibly make a start on the left scenic board wiring.
Forgot to add a couple of pics......

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:20:32 PM by lil chris, Reason: add pics »
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: February 20, 2020, 09:19:58 PM »
I note you have expanded your viaduct, Chris ;)

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: February 20, 2020, 09:44:10 PM »
Brings back many a happy memory. Chris
 A picturesque shot or two

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #273 on: February 20, 2020, 09:46:36 PM »
Thanks Mick @Newportnobby I wish....Mine is staying at six arches happy with that..... I could have bought a couple things while at Settle but I forgot. Apart from the weather it was a very enjoyable day we had a nice ride out.
Re the layout I have foxed the jumper sockets and taken another look at the bad board join I have left. I think I have found a solution that will not involve removing any track so once I have seperated the left scenic board I will take a good look I will have easier access. I have drilled a few holes for some bus wires from the high level, the second board will be a doddle to wire up. I will leave it till weekend now.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #274 on: February 21, 2020, 07:44:34 AM »
Are you going to paint of those bits of plaster 'snow' in the bgackground?  :D
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline ptopo

• Awards
« Reply #275 on: February 22, 2020, 09:12:21 AM »
Great stuff Chris with problem solving. As my mum says - these things are sent to test us.

Super video too.

Cheers, PT.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #276 on: February 23, 2020, 08:53:10 PM »
Hello everyone, I have not managed to do much over the last few days, the wife had a big birthday and that took president. I have bought some more equipment for the railway, the Cobalt extra pack arrived along with a Cobalt Alpha AEU which I have bought from Costal DCC, ordered thursday night and received on Saturday morning so good service from Coastal and the Royal Mail. The Alpha AEU unit will take any switch and convert it to digital signal, I intend eventually to make a new control panel using one of the Alpha Switch D packs but they are on short supply. But I can run wires into the AEU from switches from my old panel with a tempory control panel for now. The only thing is there are only three of the operating bars for the points in the Cobalt switch pack, so I will have to find some wire somewhere to make some.

Tonight I have made a start on wiring the left scenic board, like I have said previously it is pretty simple. I have just used simple single tag strips and I used a old bus wire for one of the up bus on this board. The bus wire had soldered wires off it so I just soldered them direct on the tag strips, no need to over complicate things. I seem to have run out of letters for labeling, the ones I have been using were from Staples Office outlet now gone. The up bus needs extending to the left edge of the board and I of course need to make a Down bus yet but I am well on the way.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 08:54:42 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #277 on: February 24, 2020, 05:13:07 PM »
I have managed to finish the two bus wires using old wires to finish the bus. A few droppers need soldering and another tag strip is needed. Another job was fixing the rising track on the fiddle yard left board. With the scenic board removed that was easy to fix without having to remove any track. I have glued it in position hopefully correct this time, there was a slight dip which would have caused some problems. Removing two corner wedge supports and then correcting the board and re fixing the supports in position. I am too busy to work on the layout tonight so hopefully I can complete this board tomorrow. I should then be able to start on the fiddle yard boards, that will be fun, lots of droppers and point motors.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 05:14:15 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #278 on: February 25, 2020, 09:05:45 PM »
Tonight I have finished the wiring for the left scenic board all tag strips fitted and all feeds soldered in position and connected to the bus wires. I have numbered all the feeds and tag strips, I have also checked with my meter all wiring is showing no shorts. Of course the next job is just a bit big, sorting the fiddle yard boards. I have not made my mind up which way to go about it, not sure if I will fit the point motors first. By fitting the point motors first it will make sure they do not get in the way of the wiring. I need to fit a 2 wire bus for the motors, I am am not sure how I am going to wire them yet possibly with small choc block connectors. Then I need to wire the two lots of bus wires up and down again fed from two PSX circuit boards. The two circuit boards are fed from a large plug in choc block connector from the right scenic board Main Bus.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #279 on: February 27, 2020, 09:07:55 PM »
Tonight I have began preparing the Cobalt motors ready for fitment. Has anybody any advice on the best way to number the point motors on the fiddle yard. On my last layout It was difficult to remember what to press which switch for any of the tracks. This time my idea is to have the two centre tracks has straight through lines, bit of a pity really has they are the longest tracks. I will have twelve switches on my control panel and I can not make my mind up. 1/ number the points in sequence for the up line first so the first 6 swithes will all be the up line and the reamining switches for the down line. Or 2/ have the first 6 switches on the left for the left side of the fiddle yard and the right switches for the right side. You can have one switch control more than one motor which is just has well because there are 17 motors. Two form a crossover so that one is easy. My tracks are in a ladder formation, here is a pic before it was finished, the front siding has a extra two points with two headshunts to allow longer trains or two trains. Any idea's will be appreciated........
Lil Chris

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #280 on: February 27, 2020, 09:34:23 PM »
Personally Chris, I would go for the switches on the left controlling the points on the left hand side and the switches on the right controlling the right hand side.  But, before long, you will have some one advocating your other option!  ;) . Have a think about it for as long as you can and then decide.  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #281 on: February 27, 2020, 10:14:10 PM »
Thanks David @dannyboy You made me think, I found the old panel. Looking at it it was numbered1-7 for the left, 8-14 for the right.I had to keep looking at the panel to see which switch to press and I even tried to colour code them. I want a system that is more intuitive, I am even thinking of a switch for a track has opposed to for a specific point. I might though give the four main points their own switch, anyway it's pickeling my brain at the moment. I will work something out I need to do a drawing of the tracks.
Lil Chris

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: February 28, 2020, 06:49:17 AM »
Hi Chris

I have a chart showing which points control which loops.  '1' means the point are set to turnout and '2' means they are set to straight on.

It means that I know exactly what to set up for the routes, but I can also use it for direct access to the loops.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #283 on: February 28, 2020, 10:02:06 AM »
Thanks @Innovationgame     Laurence thats a good idea, although i will name mine up and down lines. I have that in my head already, ie the outer track is up and inner is down. Having a think overnight i am thinking of numbering the points 1_6 for the up lines, i think it will be easier to remember.
Lil Chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: February 28, 2020, 10:03:56 AM »
See you tomorrow pm, Chris?

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00