!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 9797 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #180 on: January 19, 2020, 04:27:39 PM »
This is my latest update, not bad while watching snooker has well. I have nearly completed the down gradient from the viaduct, the viaduct goes where the copydex bottle is. I need to finish the end of the ramp where it meets the fiddle yard points but that will be easier when I split the boards again. Tonight I will start on laying the track over the screws ready for soldering. I am quite please with the graidient I still manged to get it too 2% although it does include two curves. It will be good to run some trains and test it, that will be the big test. Of course I still need to do the right hand side yet so not finished by a long way but getting there.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: January 20, 2020, 07:15:59 PM »
Hi @lil chris  - It depends on how long trains you want to run. Curves and gradients at the same time are possible, I built a helix about 2% and used the following:
  • No 2 = 263mm, 10 3/8 in - used for inner loop of helix (Grafar minimum) and curves in/ out of hidden sidings (check outer loop radius)
  • No 3 = 298mm, 11 3/4 in - used for outer loop of Helix (Dapol steam minimum radius)   
I can get some, but not all, the steamers up this with a rake of 5 coaches, BUT diesels are no problem. You just need to test them. Let's hope all OK, but test before you nail down all the track and finish the viaduct!

IF you find a problem and it's too steep, can I suggest a fix whilst you are still in building mode? If you can, could you drop the height of the tracks that go under the "flyover" tracks? So the tracks below dip down say 5mm under the flyover tracks and level up again after. This means the "flyover" tracks can be at lower height too (leaving a minimum clearance between top of rail and bottom of the wood of say 30-35mm- or your tallest loco/wagon load if taller) and the gradient will be less. Also a trick I adopted was to glue the flyover tracks to a strip of 2mm thick plasticard just for the flyover section (use a width of card with 1cm or so clearance either side of the track, you can easily glue some Peco truss bridge sides to it if you want). The plasticard is much thinner than wood, so will give more clearance, but is solid enough to support the track with wooden pillars either side of the "flyover" section to hold it up.

Just a thought if you get stuck. I had to do both techniques on my layout at one point to reduce the gradients.
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #182 on: January 20, 2020, 07:29:10 PM »
Thanks @DarrwestLU6 I looked into a helix at the start of this project but ruled it out on the width of it plus the height under the eves would have been a problem.  What you are suggesting about lowering the underpass  track is what I have done already. The track from the monkey bridge is on a down gradient and drops half a inch so that the track from the viaduct which is also on a down gradient will clear underneath, then it rises back up to the fiddle yard board before the incline at the back of the fiddle yard board. I have tried to keep curves to a minimum of 2nd radius, I have a slight problem with the track on the fiddle yard where it curves, I am planning on working on that tonight
Since I took that last pic I have laid track over the board joint on both  levels and soldered it in place and added the feed wires too. I now need to connect the curves up to the straights on the fiddle yard board, the outside tracks are no problem but the inner ones I need to take care with finishing the curves. Once I have done this I can then start on finishing the tracks over the joins on the right scenic board so then all tracks will have been laid on the fiddle yard board.   pics to follow.....
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: January 20, 2020, 10:57:08 PM »
Sounds good! I see from the photo that the flyover tracks are on a wooden base, but I can't tell from the photo how thick, so you could fall back on the 2mm plasticard idea as a backup plan if you need it. Let's hope it all works well when you wire it up for the test run! Fingers crossed.
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2020, 10:04:55 AM »
Thanks I have used 9mm ply for the flyover, I was going to use thinner stuff but it was too flexible. I have tried to keep the clearence under the flyover to 1.5 inches to be honest it is a touch lower so i might just thin the ply over that section to give a bit more clearance. I managed to finish the end of the ramp last night but decided to leave it and let the glue dry.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2020, 09:59:46 PM »
I have today fitted the remaining track between the decent from the viaduct and the fiddle yard. I have fitted the feed wires has I fitted the track presoldering the wires to the track before laying the track. I decided to pull up the overpass on the front scenic board so I can slim it down a touch, if I mess up I will just bridge the gap with plasticard or thinner ply. I need to goto the model shop again tomorrow, unfortunately last week I got the wrong thickness of cork, its too thin which has stopped me from any more progress untill tomorrow night. I am getting so near to completion of the track on the fiddle yard board, the next big job is to lay the track over the right board joins. Again there is two levels of track, this time one is high level but there are no gradients involved.
I might complete the track on the two scenic boards, this would complete the full circuit of track, so I could possibly test the track with a dc controller and a Jinty tank that has not been converted to dcc. Once this is done I can seperate the boards again and make a start wiring the bus and installing the point motors.
Lil Chris

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2020, 10:01:59 PM »
You are getting on at a fair rate Chris.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2020, 10:10:19 PM »
Thanks @dannyboy I am desperate to run something soon, I want to wire up the track soon as possible.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2020, 04:46:01 PM »
I have been to the model shop today I managed to get the correct size of cork this time. I also managed to purchase some tag strips, I think these will be better than using choc blocks and  not take up has much room especially on the fiddle yard board. I think they will be a lot tidier although of course they need soldering. This afternoon after playing snooker I have used my dremel to thin the ply on the flyover down a bit, I am a lot happier with it now it just needs glueing back in place. Tonight I am planning to work on the right fiddle yard board and finish laying the track over the board ends installing the required feeds has I go, I have eight pairs of feed wires I prepared last night.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2020, 08:55:14 PM »
Well folks I made a error, I had calculated the rh corner curve from the fiddle yard points wrong somehow. I also forgot I need to install the rh scenic back board because the high level comes out through a hole in it and of course there is a track join there too. I had to use the jigsaw to make the back scene hole larger that done I have now fitted the back scene board to the front right baseboard, that was a pig of a job, under the eves did not make it any easier. Another problem the board was not sitting upright in otherwords square to the baseboard so I have found one of those old metal shelf brkts to give support. I have also fitted one of the old scenic boards to the side, it will need a access hole cutting in it for access in the tunnel. So now back to installing the track over the baseboard joint, more soldering required, I need to glue some cork down first.
Lil Chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2020, 09:42:36 PM »
Just think of all the money gone into the 'Swearbox for railway purchases' though, Chris ;)

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2020, 10:07:07 PM »
Thanks Mick @Newportnobby I need a new rh curved point for the lead into the station from the tunnel. Looking at the point I was going to use, it's damaged, sleepers at the toe end are missing and I think it was the point I had trouble with before so it's probably better to buy a new one.  The back board and right side board's are in place, the outer track now crosses the join, unfortunately on a curve but it is soldered in position now. The next job is the inner track then I can do the upper track which crosses over the lower track on the fiddle yard board.
Lil Chris

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2020, 10:16:55 PM »
Chris. It's looking good but hopefully one will gain an insight into what went wrong and learn
 It will look good when you have that error made good and wiring which I dislike too come good. We are all here to help each other. Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2020, 10:40:08 PM »
Thanks @crewearpley40 The fiddle yard is a bit of a compromise, I had a plan which I changed slightly. The trouble with curves leading into fiddle yards is the room they waste at the front. Plus I need to leave room at the back for the high level ramp. I would have prefferred to have had a bit of straight track before the two points from the curve, has it happens the down track which is the inner leads into a large radius point, so that should ease it somewhat. On my old fiddle yard I had used code 80 curved points leading into the fiddle yard which made a couple of the sidings very long, maybe in the future I could change the right end. Its all coming together now the test will be when it is running trains.
I also have a idea for my electrics after seeing a video on youtube. I intend to put the electronic units on a board fitted with hinges for access.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:42:21 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2020, 10:44:14 PM »
No worries chris. Apologies it's late. Hopefully one can rectify issues . Maybe one of the experts at track planning and electrics can help solve. Agree that curves can waste space. I m hoping on my own layout to tuck wires underneath the board with those
 Chocblocks holding all together
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:47:45 PM by crewearpley40 »

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything