!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 16852 times)

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #150 on: January 03, 2020, 06:12:05 PM »

I soldered to the bottom of the code 55 track on my first layout, the trouble was some of the wires came loose, I was using thicker wire at that time. I found that I had  to pull the track up or solder wires to the side of the track

I reckon that's the telling comment. Sure, soldering to the base of the rail makes it invisible but............if a wire comes loose................. :worried:

Then I just solder it back to the side  :D

And don't forget with a degree in electronics from the University of Liverpool, I'm a soldering whizz, NOT.

We were led to believe that there would be people to do that for us  :doh:

Oh, and do all the typing as well.

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Online lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2020, 11:34:01 PM »
I know what you mean John but with my way I am soldering the side of the track before I lay it, which enables me to be very carefull not to damage the sleepers. I have soldered to the side of the rail in situ before, but you really need a steady hand, it is definately a lot more difficult. I will stick to this way now, it is what works for me best.
I have not done much today in the railway room, I did manage to cut some ply for fixing to the back of the fiddle yard boards, I even give them a coat of primer. I do not want any stock falling off the back of the boards, plus it will give some protection to the high level track at the back from the sloping roof ceiling. And of course the boards are all on wheels, I have moved them forward a bit while I work on the track, it is still too low for even a small guy like me hence the sore knees yesterday lol.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2020, 09:19:10 PM »
More work on the layout, back boards on the fiddle yard, I have fitted and painted in primer. I have made them 3" in height, any higher would stop the layout from going back under the eaves. They serve two purposes, protect the trains from falling off at the back especially when I will be moving the layout and at the moment they prevent my tools from falling off the back. Tonight I have laid a piece of track over the board join and successfully soldered the rails to the brass screws. I have had to make a decision tonight on the length of the fiddle yard sidings, I want the sidings at least two of them to take a train with six coaches, I was struggling just a bit so I have made the decision to pinch 6" off the down gradient. It will mean the anti clockwise direction will have a slightly steeper incline than I wanted but from previous experience with my first layout which had a steeper gradient I am pretty sure it will be ok, sometimes compromises have to be made. I will post some pics when I get some more track down in the near future.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 10:43:25 PM by lil chris, Reason: spelling »
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2020, 12:17:58 AM »
More prgress today, I now have a double track through the middle of the fiddle yard with both tracks soldered to the screws at the board join. I have also started on the gradient section on the back of the fiddle yard. I have cut the pieces from 9mm ply using my jigsaw a lot easier than by hand but not has straight.  But I also cut some curved ply with the jigsaw ready for the curved sections I need, also a lot easier than by hand. The plan is to try and sort most of the track on the fiddle yard before joining the scenic sections back and of course the wiring points motors and the track feeds, also needs sorting before connecting back up again.
Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2020, 09:34:09 PM »
Tonight I have been working on the high level woodwork. It is a 6' incline 3' on each board to a height of 1.5 inches before it curves too the right to join the scenic board. I have used 9mm ply mounted on softwood blocks calcullated to give the correct height and it feels solid, it is glued and screwed. I have left the curved section, just screwed for now so I can remove it while I lay the lower curved track. I have thought of making it removable but it would complicate things because at one end is the baseboard join which is also high level, difficult enough already. A couple of pics showing the progress.

Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #155 on: January 08, 2020, 11:01:01 PM »
More track down tonight I made another siding but then changed my mind about using a long radius point I used. I realised it compromised my siding for a 6 coach train, so I changed it to a small radius point. I am trying to avoid buying any more points, I still have another 4 small radius points left from the old layout to you use up plus a couple of y points. I have three brand new points plus a curved point which I have saved for the scenic section. I am not sure about those curved points, I have had trouble with one on the old layout we shall see how it works out.
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2020, 06:36:33 AM »
I have half a dozen curved points in my storage loops and they don't cause any problems.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2020, 09:36:31 AM »
Thanks Laurence, the one i had trouble with was leading into the station from a long curve. I had trouble with certain locos that caused a short, i even bought a back to back gauge to check locos with. I managed to ease the problem but never completly solved it. I was planning on the using the same curved point on the new layout, I might use the long radius point instead and bite the bullet and buy some more medium radius points.
Lil Chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2020, 10:57:48 AM »
At the front of 'Kimbolted' I have curved points off curves on both inner and outer ovals leading to large radius points to form a 'common' third loop and don't have any issues with them.
Hope you can solve your problem, Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2020, 05:02:19 PM »
Today I bit the bullet and went to one of my local model shops and bought 4 medium code 55 points, they are still the old stock not unifrog. I have just spent the last hour preparing them for fitting, feed tinning points and a frog wire.I hope to do more on the fiddle yard tonight.
Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2020, 05:12:26 PM »
Yes Mick @Newportnobby not sure what my problem was caused by but I spent a lot of time trying to solve it. I painted the side of the switch rails at one point, I tried fitting a check rail before the point, I checked back to back's and they were within the correct tolerances. I ended up not running certain loco's in that direction to avoid the point, maybe it was just that one point I had some more curved points in the fiddle yard too. This layout is not set in stone yet so I may change the plan, I have a brand new curved point but that is the opposite hand for where the loop re joins the main line, I seem to remember the  troublsome loco's would go over the point in the reverse direction with no problem. Back now to track laying, and then I might start on some feed wiring so I can run something.
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2020, 05:14:44 PM »
Today I bit the bullet and went to one of my local model shops and bought 4 medium code 55 points, they are still the old stock not unifrog. I have just spent the last hour preparing them for fitting, feed tinning points and a frog wire.I hope to do more on the fiddle yard tonight.
Well done Chris.  Keep biting the bullet (but don't swallow any lead!  :D)
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2020, 10:32:03 PM »
Four tracks now in the fiddle yard it is begginning to look like a fiddle yard at last. I have also made some track feed wires and installed some of them to the track. I was using my trusty soldering workstation to tinn the track for the feed points as required has I lay the track. To save time I dug out another soldering iron I have thinking I could use that just for the wires unfortunately it is a bit too big, I melted a few sleepers. I have a even older soldering iron which I think still works with a small bit, so on my next session I will try that one. The aim is to try and get all the fiddle yard board tracks laid including the high level gradient.
I have made the decision to wire the track through two PSX circuit breakers, the down line and the up line will run independant of each other. In other words a short on one breaker will not shut the whole fiddle yard down like on my old layout. I also plan to do something similar on the two scenic boards. Once the fiddle yard board has all its track laid I can turn it on its side to do the wiring then I am getting down to the nitty gritty, and some trains running.
Lil Chris

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2020, 09:38:02 PM »
 :hellosign:
  Thanks for the latest updates Chris, excellent progress & looking forward to seeing trains running.  :thumbsup:
        regards Derek.

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2020, 04:46:26 PM »
Some hard work last night and this afternoon, my knees are aching a bit now from kneeling. I have now laid most of the fiddle yard tracks and I have soldered all of them to the screws at the board join with no problems. I have made a head shunt on both ends of the smallest siding at the front and just one head shunt on the back track, there was no room at the other end. This should enable me to run the odd longer train around if I want too in both directions. The length of the fiddle yard itself is dictated by the gradient track lines coming in from the left and of course the curves at each end but some compromise has had to be made to allow some decent length trains and some good running prospects. The next main job now is the two high level lines across the back, I have the screws in place and tinned already. Here is a pic showing progress so far.
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal