!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 30613 times)

Delboy and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 05:30:07 PM »
Well one board is nearly complete and it has straightened out considerably over night. I plan to fit strengtheners in the corners for the support legs /frame, which should keep it straight. I will glue these in place and leave them overnight which should make the boards pretty strong. In the local model shop today I bought a Peco set track planning book, now I am not using set track but it confirmed that my plan, in my head, for the fiddle yard should work in the space I have allocated which is good news. The extra foot in length should enable some decent length trains to be stored in the fiddle yard. The only problem I forsee at the moment is the Cobalt point motors, mine are the old anolouge motors(DCP-CB6 on the box).I am not sure if these will work with the Cobalt Alpha I have ordered, it says it works with anolouge motors but mine are the early ones. I might contact DCC Concepts and ask about them, I have bought two digital motors today. I know I will need some more motors so it makes sense to buy digital motors. Pics to follow later on.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 09:51:29 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
   All sounding very interesting Chris, good luck with the build, will be following with interest.
      regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 10:18:24 PM »
Thanks Derek, watch this space I am really motivated at the moment, looking forward to this myself.  Seeing has I am abandoning the peco motors for the Cobalt motors, I know I need some more so I will buy all the digital type in the future. The plan is to use them for the fiddle yard has well as on the scenic section of the layout. I will not be using many on the scenic section it just depends what I can fit in without the layout looking to crowded. Trains in the country is my main idea for the layout on two levels. Here are a couple of pics of items purchased recently, from L to R ,new Solder iron tips, Gorilla glue and two Cobalt digital IP motors. The second pic shows my boards one nearly finished, the second board behind still needs it's ply fitting,I have run out of panel pins, I have a bag somewhere but can not find them which is typical. The second board frame is spot on no distortion at all, I must have made that one better than the first, obviously I am a bit rusty in the joinery department.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:19:39 PM by lil chris, Reason: spelling »
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 10:39:56 PM »
We seem to be at a similar stage of development Chris. Sure foundations and all that jazz! :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 06:23:06 AM »
Hi Chris. Iíve just caught up with this thread and itís looking good so far!  :thumbsup:

I do enjoying watching these layouts come together right from the bare wood stage! Iím a big fan of gorilla glue and use all kinds of it; even the strong tape comes in handy. Just be cautious about using too much of the expanding stuff. Itís amazing how much it does expand. Iíve gone to bed before thinking it was fine only to return the next day to realise I used way too much.  :o

Good luck with the layout.
Gold Hill - my rule 1, ďjust for funĒ micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 06:36:44 AM »
Yes, Chris, do go for the IP motors.  I have no less that 46 of the beasts, mostly in the storage loops (my version of fiddle yards).  It's great, because you can pair them up for crosovers by giving both motors the same accessory address.  Also, If you have a contoller that supports routes, you can group them into routes, which makes operating MUCH simpler.  :thumbsup:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 10:14:23 AM »
Thanks Laurence,I had a pair of Peco motors paired for a crossover on the old fiddleyard.  Regarding the Peco motors I do not think they are ideally suited to N _gauge points,they go with a bang and of course n gauge points do not need has much travel has 00 gauge. One of the points I removed from the fiddleyard was falling to bits and wires were loose on a motor probably caused by the vibration. So time for a change, I like the Cobalt motors,but most of mine are the old ones.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 11:29:25 PM »
Some good news, I have found out I can use a accessory decoder unit called a AD-FX which will control 4 anolouge motors and is cheaper than buying 4 motors so I will probably get one of those.
This afternoon I managed to get in the railway room and do some more work on the baseboards. I fitted the piece of ply to the second board which I glued and tacked with panel pins, then I fitted some more corner supports for the legs to the first board using the Gorrilla glue for those, clamping those. I only have two clamps that will fit so I can only do two at a time, using the Gorilla Glue they need clamping also taking care not to use too much.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2019, 10:50:33 PM »
Well after shopping this morning I had a trip to Heywood, the club there had a openday. There is not much n gauge, it's nearly all 00 plus a couple of big 0 gauge layouts. I had a chat with a guy on the n gauger layout. I asked him which track he was using and he said code 80, so I gave him 3 xcode 80 live frog points, they had soldered track joined to them and wires etc. I thought instead of messing about trying to clean them up I would donate them to their layout. He said thanks very much and went crawling under the layout and then gave me two code 55 points, which I thanked him for, so a good morning.
 I managed to find some time in the railway room this afternoon and evening to do some more gluing and cutting of more strengtheners for the second board. I have also now figured a way to make a self standing support frame for the centre of the fiddle yard boards. I need to think of a way to make self standing supporting frames for the ends of the fiddle yard board without losing too much stoarge space under the layout boards. I have found a nice plan for the fiddle yard boards in the Peco set track book I bought, I of course I will be using code 55 with the Cobalt motors, but it is all coming together.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2019, 04:19:13 PM »
More work on the baseboards this afternoon, more strenghtheners in the corners and I have made two sides of the centre support frame with castors. One has it's location dowels glued in place, I intend to have a small shelf on it to store stuff on, I am waiting for glue to dry at the moment. The dowels do not need to be a tight fit I want to be able to lift off a single board if needed to work on. The idea is the whole layout can be wheeled forward, I need some more of the small castors, I think I bought those from a show a few years ago. I think B&Q do some of a similar size, hoepfully the same size then I do not have to try and calculate the height difference. The supports I have made make the layout 2' off the floor, I can not go much higher because of the big beam across the room.
Lil Chris

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2019, 04:31:27 PM »
Castersonline
https://www.castors-online.co.uk
Are quite good.  I have used them in the past.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2019, 05:08:13 PM »
Thanks Laurence, just taken a look, they look very much like the ones I have, thanks again.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2019, 04:11:38 PM »
Well today I went to B&Q for some wood for making support legs. While I was there I found these,
 What I think are frames for plant pots, the thing is they have for 4 nice sized castors fitted. The castors on there own were £3.65 each, these frames were £5.98 and they have four castors that were bigger and better so it was a no brainer, frames bought. As it happens I also have two castors with the same size wheels in my box so they might come in handy. I managed to finish the frame last night, I even managed to put a shelf on it. I need to make at least one end frame then I can put one board up to see how it looks. Once I checked for height etc I will start on fitting the dowels before painting the boards.
I forgot to add here is a pic of the central support frame for the fiddle yard.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:05:49 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2019, 04:33:40 PM »
Nice, tidy work Chris. Like the locating dowels. Very professional-looking! :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2019, 09:04:56 PM »
Well work unfortunately stopped this afternoon, I have looked everywhere but can not find the drill I bought for the cabinet makers dowels. Also I went out on a musical evening tonight, but tomorrow I will have to bite the bullet and buy another drill. The railway might be a bit expensive this week, I have ordered some control equipment, track and electronics etc, it's going to be fun. Off to watch Youtube a bit of Simons shed a fellow n-gauger.
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal