!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Irwell Valley Railway  (Read 16851 times)

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Irwell Valley Railway
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2019, 06:49:01 PM »
I am seriously going to stick my little head above the parapet here but I have a question about the trackplan. Why is the viaduct at the front of the layout with the Monkey Bridge etc. behind it? Won't it block the view of the Monkey Bridge? If the lower line, with Monkey Bridge, was at the front with the viaduct behind wouldn't that make more sense?

It is merely me thinking and typing aloud for which I apologise. :(
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2019, 10:15:39 PM »
Yes @chrispearce I know what you mean about the bridges, the viaduct section has not been fixed in position yet, actually when I place it in position you can see the Monkey bridge ok. Its all to do with the gradients and the room needed to get things up and down and keep to the max 2% rule. The viaduct at the front gives me just enough track length to get it down to the level before the fiddle yard, it's only 1 and half inches height, but I have lowered the viaduct the same amount at the front, the viaduct is 3" high. I will fit the viaduct in position permanently after laying the lower track, then lay the high level track.
Today I have been doing some more work with the soldering iron, first remove all the red frog wires from the used points and replace with a black wire. I am also tinning the rails at the toe end, ready for feed wires. I have also bought a packet of Peco PL82 for in case I get stuck with a feed to some point feeds, I probably will not need them because I am happy with the tinning I am doing, plus the wires are not the same colour has my feeds. I have had some trouble with the new curved point I bought, the frog link wire came loose so I have had to carefully solder it back, I melted a few sleepers in the process but underneath so it does not show. I have prepared 10 points today so happy with that for a start. I prefer to solder the feed wires to the side of the track even on the scenic sections, it is easy to disguise the joints. I used to solder under the rails but if one comes loose you cannot see that once ballasted, so its harder for fault finding. I have used my helping hands doing the soldering, it sure makes life a lot easier.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 10:17:41 PM by lil chris »
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2019, 10:51:03 PM »
That all makes perfect sense. Thanks Chris.  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2019, 10:06:17 PM »
More soldering tonight whle the railway program on CH5 is on the tv. Love the sound of that Loco working, that's what adheres me to steam, what I remember from being on the railways has a child.
Back to the soldering, I realised I have made a mistake, I have been using the wrong gauge wire for the frogs, think it's 16/02, whatever its too heavy. I have found some that is more suitable so tonight I have been changing the wires over. Just for clarity some of you may be wondering where I tin the end of the points, here is a pic showing the tinning and the frog wire soldered underneath the pint. Where the point is tinned I use a craft knife between the sleepers to cut away the webbing, I scrape the side of the rail apply some no clean flux then touch with the iron with the solder. This is where the helping hands comes in use,avoid letting the solder run to the end of the track or you will have trouble fitting the fishplates ie tilting the point helps. By the way the point is a code 55 large radius SLE389F. When the track is laid simply drill a hole next to the point and feed a tinned feed wire up through the hole, press the wire against the side of the track, and you need a steady hand for this touch with the soldering iron and hey presto feed wire fitted.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #139 on: January 01, 2020, 10:57:30 PM »
Some more work tonight, I have finished the soldering ie preparing the points old and new. Out of all the old points only one is unsusable so that's not too bad, I might find a use for it has check point we shall see. I have disconnected the right front scenic board, I still need to remove the left board too. Then I can seperate the two fiddle yard boards and place some card between them, then lay the fiddle yard track across the join. I plan to lay most of the track but not the two curved ends, I will leave them till the boards are connected up again. I want a close joint with the fiddle yard boards but the scenic sections will be on different circuit breakers so the last thing I need is touching rails between sections. I need to leave room for track expansion with the temperature changes in this loft room.
Lil Chris

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #140 on: January 01, 2020, 11:37:43 PM »
Thanks for that timely bit of inspiration Chris! Joining the boards with a piece of card in between, laying the track in a single length then cutting it wouldn't have occurred to me. Now THAT is an excellent idea.

Many thanks!  :thumbsup:

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2020, 10:30:11 AM »
Thanks Chris, I learned it on here so its good to pass it on. The hard bit is soldering to the screws,to place the screws in the correct position I place a piece of old track over the join and give it quick blast of a rattlecan of acrylic paint. That leaves a outline of the track and makes it easy to place the screws correctly,then adjust them for height.
Lil Chris

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2020, 06:23:14 PM »
Hi Chris,

I use single strand 24 AWG wire stripped from Cat5 network cable for all my wire droppers, it's a lot easier to use than 16/0.2

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2020, 07:23:21 PM »
@lil chris  - Happy New Year, I've been reading the post with interest, keep us posted on how it's going!
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2020, 07:25:21 PM »
Thanks John @jpendle I must admit I used cable from mains for my droppers on the old layout. This time I am using thinner wire, it is thinner than 16/02, I have two reels Blue and Brown the same colour has on the mains cable I am using for the bus wires. I have started fixing the track down, I have two points down at the end of the fiddle yard, so making slow progress. I have decided to tin the sides of the rails for the feeds has I go along to make things easier when I start the wiring itself. I can then just pop the tinned feed wires through from under the board and touch with the soldering iron against the track and points, easy.
Back to work now, just working on a crossover on the fiddle yard, after that the only hard bit will be soldering to the screws on the board join.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 12:03:23 AM by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2020, 07:26:53 PM »
Thanks @DarrwestLU6 , Happy New Year to you too. I am getting some track down at last.......wheeeeee lol

Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2020, 09:42:13 PM »
Work today, giving it a rest now my knees are hurting. I have laid some track down in the fiddle yard, including 5 sets of points. One was one of the new unifrogs, no pesky insulated joiners required. I am pinning the track down in the fiddle yard and I am using a mixture of points, the first two which lead onto the curves I am using Large radius. I figured it would be easier on the loco's from the curve especially the anti clockwise direction. I have done the crossover the hardest part now is the board joins. Here are a few pics, the first shows my soldering setup for the points etc. the second a close up of where I solder the sides of the rail on code 55. the third shows some track down at last.

Lil Chris

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2020, 10:17:53 PM »
Hi,

You might want to try soldering to the bottom of the code 55, I think it's easier than soldering to the side of the track.
I cut out just enough webbing to lay a wire under the first track and solder it to the second, I also cut out a bit more webbing on the first track to solder the other wire to. This means that the solder joints are hidden and there's less chance of melting sleepers, also, as I use twisted pair wires (Cat5 cable again!) it means that both wires can go through a hole on one side of the track and remain twisted.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2020, 12:01:11 AM »
High John, @jpendle , I solder to the side of the track because I find it is easier for fault finding and I find it easier to lay the track. I drill a small hole at the side between the sleeper, and just pop the tinned wire up, touch against the side of the track and touch with the iron, you do need a steady hand. It should be even easier this time has I plan on using the thinner wire I mentioned before. I intend to lay the track then when finished do all the feeds at the same time.
 I soldered to the bottom of the code 55 track on my first layout, the trouble was some of the wires came loose, I was using thicker wire at that time. I found that I had  to pull the track up or solder wires to the side of the track, its fairly easy to do and disguise once the ballast is down and of course in the fiddle yard it does not matter.
I have glued some more cork down so leave that to dry now, I will start again on Saturday laying some more track.
Lil Chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2020, 09:42:48 AM »

I soldered to the bottom of the code 55 track on my first layout, the trouble was some of the wires came loose, I was using thicker wire at that time. I found that I had  to pull the track up or solder wires to the side of the track

I reckon that's the telling comment. Sure, soldering to the base of the rail makes it invisible but............if a wire comes loose................. :worried:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal