!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)  (Read 4301 times)

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Stobs (Waverley Route, 1961)
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2020, 09:06:51 AM »
You wrote 'Looking North across the viaduct towards Hawick, I think realigning the track was worth the effort.'

Definitely worth the effort. Thats one pleasing curve. Very easy on the eye.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Online belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2020, 10:25:23 AM »
Tracklaying well under way at Stobs Camp Sidings (a.k.a. one of the two storage loop boards).  Those who like to work neatly and tidily should look away now.

I don't really like having rail joins on curves, but given the size of the loops I don't have a lot of choice.  I have eased the curves either side of the joins, which doesn't look as pretty as a continuous radius curve but should avoid the "doglegs" which I have seen so often causing problems with derailments.

I don't think I have enough materials to finish the second board today (brass screws and fishplates running low) so I might concentrate on getting this board wired up today.  Then I can at least see something move under its own power.   I really have got over-ambitious with this layout -so much to do before I can run trains.  It's a bit late for second thoughts now :)

Richard

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2020, 11:11:00 AM »
Those who like to work neatly and tidily should look away now.

I don't really like having rail joins on curves, but given the size of the loops I don't have a lot of choice.  I have eased the curves either side of the joins, which doesn't look as pretty as a continuous radius curve but should avoid the "doglegs" which I have seen so often causing problems with derailments.

Eh? 'Neatly?' 'Tidily?' What meaneth those words ???

Your fiddle yards look as if they will resemble those of Laurence's @Innovationgame layout

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2020, 01:09:08 PM »
Tracklaying on the first storage board is now just about done, enough for me to have a tidy up anyway:

A1 Pacific and ten coaches (one more than the normal Waverley max load) fits into the shortest of the four loops with room for another three coaches.  The spur off the outer loop is for turning banking locos ready for their next duty: I haven't yet decided whether to put in a small turntable or just turn locos by hand.  The turnout next to the loco will serve two dead end sidings to hold short non-timetabled trains (inspection saloon, breakdown train and suchlike). I haven't laid them as they cross the baseboard join and I have run out of small brass screws.  Speaking of which:

Laying tracks on the diagonal like this across a board join is just asking for trouble.  The rails are firmly soldered to small brass screws which are themselves a nice tight fit in the plywood. I hope it will be enough.

I might put some wire droppers in a bit later and see if I can get something moving on the outer loop at least.  Until I have all the turnouts motorised and the frog switching relays in place, a single road will have to suffice.

Richard

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2020, 01:45:53 PM »
"Stobs Camp Sidings" (the first of the two sets of storage loops) is now mostly wired up and I can run a train!

Only on the outer loop: I forgot to order toggle switches to control the point servos, and even if I switch the points by hand the frog switching relays aren't yet wired up.  They depend on a signal from the point servo control boards.  So there is still a bit more to do.

The blue things are the frog switching relays.  The layout is electrically split into two districts, so there are four tinned copper busbars to feed the track.  Go DCC, they said.  You only need two wires, they said.

Next job is to do exactly the same thing all over again, this time for "Shankend" (the other set of storage loops). I'm going to miss my aim of running a train over Barns Viaduct on the 50th anniversary of the last passenger carrying train to cross it (April 1st 1970).  The storage loops are at home, but the scenic boards are at my workshop. If I run out of things to do on the storage loops I can start work on the loco fleet: plenty to keep me busy there for a while.

Stay safe everyone and keep modelling.  With all these new layouts under construction, there should be plenty to see at exhibitions once the restrictions are lifted.

Richard

Online degsy_safc

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2020, 03:33:08 PM »
"Stobs Camp Sidings" (the first of the two sets of storage loops) is now mostly wired up and I can run a train!

Only on the outer loop: I forgot to order toggle switches to control the point servos, and even if I switch the points by hand the frog switching relays aren't yet wired up.  They depend on a signal from the point servo control boards.  So there is still a bit more to do.

The blue things are the frog switching relays.  The layout is electrically split into two districts, so there are four tinned copper busbars to feed the track.  Go DCC, they said.  You only need two wires, they said.

Next job is to do exactly the same thing all over again, this time for "Shankend" (the other set of storage loops). I'm going to miss my aim of running a train over Barns Viaduct on the 50th anniversary of the last passenger carrying train to cross it (April 1st 1970).  The storage loops are at home, but the scenic boards are at my workshop. If I run out of things to do on the storage loops I can start work on the loco fleet: plenty to keep me busy there for a while.

Stay safe everyone and keep modelling.  With all these new layouts under construction, there should be plenty to see at exhibitions once the restrictions are lifted.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Looks great, out of interest are you using servos for point control and if so which model of servo are they please - have been looking at the version recommended by the guys at megapoints the HK15178 but they donít ever seem to be in stock at hobbyking.

Also if you donít mind, how many frogs are you controlling in each relay, looks like more than 1 green wire per relay?

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2020, 07:14:50 PM »

Hi Richard,

Looks great, out of interest are you using servos for point control and if so which model of servo are they please - have been looking at the version recommended by the guys at megapoints the HK15178 but they donít ever seem to be in stock at hobbyking.

Also if you donít mind, how many frogs are you controlling in each relay, looks like more than 1 green wire per relay?

Cheers Derek

I'm using Tower Pro SG90 micro servos in MERG 3D printed mounts.  About one servo in ten is faulty straight out of the box, but they're cheap enough that I can live with that.

Each relay switches one frog but some of the power feeds are taken off other frogs depending which way the points are set.  Hence the short green wires between relays.

Richard

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2020, 07:45:34 PM »
Been catching up on your thread richard, some super work and as some have said already, a divine gentle curve away from the viaduct - you make it all look & sound so easy!  Even your woodwork is pretty grand

Look forward to seeing the next steps, sorry you didn't make the 1st April deadline, but events conspired against you there rather than any sluggish progress on your part

Online degsy_safc

• Awards
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2020, 08:42:28 PM »

Hi Richard,

Cheers Derek

I'm using Tower Pro SG90 micro servos in MERG 3D printed mounts.  About one servo in ten is faulty straight out of the box, but they're cheap enough that I can live with that.

Each relay switches one frog but some of the power feeds are taken off other frogs depending which way the points are set.  Hence the short green wires between relays.

Richard

Thanks Richard - much appreciated.

Iíve been looking at the TP SG90 too, seemingly plenty of those available.

Cheers Derek
Cheers Derek

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #129 on: Yesterday at 10:46:13 PM »
1st April 1970: D5307 passes through Stobs with an inspection saloon: the first train (apart from demolition trains) south of Hawick since January 1969, and the last.

Huntigowk!  (Scots for "April fool".) The track isn't wired up yet so this isn't a running train, just a staged photo commemorating that last working, fifty years ago today.  Bruce McCartney was at Stobs that day to capture the "Huntigowk special":  https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/59/19/

Depending on who you speak to, the inspection saloon contained BR engineering staff, demolition contractors bidding for the scrap metal, or a Hallade track recorder.

Back in 2020, work continues on "Shankend", the second set of storage loops.  I'm hoping to have both sets wired up and operational this weekend.  How long before I can join them to the main boards, stranded twenty miles away, is anyone's guess.

Richard

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #130 on: Today at 12:05:37 AM »
If I recall correctly Bruce McCartney had to warn a dog walker on the track of the train which was met with disbelief!

Lovely portrayal of a train very familiar in pictures albeit not those colours if memory serves (all my Waverley books are in storage currently).

Roy
« Last Edit: Today at 12:07:23 AM by Roy L S »

Online belstone

• Awards
« Reply #131 on: Today at 07:23:34 AM »
If I recall correctly Bruce McCartney had to warn a dog walker on the track of the train which was met with disbelief!

Lovely portrayal of a train very familiar in pictures albeit not those colours if memory serves (all my Waverley books are in storage currently).

Roy

I thought repainting the loco and saloon in BR Blue just for the day would be taking my obsession a little too far :)

Richard

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £40.00
Site Currency: GBP
33% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal