!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 15485 times)

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #240 on: March 31, 2020, 09:27:36 PM »
Two visits to the MhRC today, 
In the first in the first I scraped the sides and top of the walls to make them  more wall  shaped.
Then scribed all the stonework.  A quick wash of grey was then added to see how it looked.
On the second visit the wall was given a wash of thin green then a thicker coat of grey so it stayed where it touched...  At that point the photos were taken,  as the walls are wet they are a bit darker than they will be.
For size comparison I placed a scale RAF mini,  a model of wot I used to drive.

After that I worked on the accompanying main board 5, more filla on the cutting sides shaped to look more excavated rather than natural rock.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #241 on: April 05, 2020, 08:04:47 AM »
All that green has been grassed, 

I remembered that hollows in the rocks tended to go black and fill with water so I've painted the holes black and been dropping Varnish into the holes

Several layers of varnish have been applied to the lochan and stream,  time for another wash of black before raising the water level further.

Things that have been bothering me,

The rocks on the cliff faces / cuttings are too dry, the highlands and Islands are soggy..
Solution,  paint varnish along the tops and let it dribble down.

The long road climb behind the main station doesn't look right, it's too big they wouldn't have spent that amount of money digging it out.
 Solution, on the boards here just a minor change of road.  But the board at the MRC will need some surgery.

I'll try to remember to  take more pictures today.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #242 on: Yesterday at 06:56:00 PM »
I don't recall seeing a layout before that had that much open rugged wilderness. Wonderful job Q.  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #243 on: Yesterday at 06:59:44 PM »
Looking good.
I particularly like the stone walling which is nicely rugged and not too even.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #244 on: Yesterday at 09:22:19 PM »
Thanks for the comments folks, to me a railway should be in its landscape whether city or countryside.  I how ever am a country boy,  and that's what I'm aiming at

Apart from varnishing the lochan and burn and various bits of damp stuff again I've mostly been working on the war memorial.  The site for it is a  bit more dramatic than that on Tiree but I wanted it to be prominent .
The blank rough shapes for the memorial has now been made from plasicard, and I need to definitely remember this gadget tomorrow  not only to take pictures but it's got the downloaded photos of Scarinish war memorial on it.

Talking of which..

Oh just been studying road surfaces on Tiree and found a second railway on the island

I'm going to have to model that
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:01:10 PM by The Q »

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal