!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Thinners  (Read 334 times)

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
Thinners
« on: November 01, 2019, 04:45:53 PM »
Very quick question, people.

I've just finished up a tin of Humbrol (enamel) thinners. Being a cheapskate, I was wondering whether it is OK to use white spirit instead, or is Humbrol a different, better beast?

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
Re: Thinners
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 05:50:08 PM »
Cleaning brushes or thinning enamel for airbrushing Chris???

Offline Papyrus

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 07:09:29 PM »
Yes, sorry, should have clarified that! Just brush cleaning, really. The amount of spraypainting I'm likely to do doesn't warrant the expense of an airbrush - I can't see myself using anything except rattle cans.

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 07:17:28 PM »
Chris

I use four little jam jars for brush cleaning.  The first has dirty white spirit,  The second has clean white spirit (it becomes the first jar in due course).  The third has Humbrol thinners.  It's interesting that a brush which appears clean after the second jar leaves paint on the kitchen towel after immersion in the third jar.

The brush then gets a good wash with washing up liquid, a thorough rinse and left to dry - standing vertically.

The fourth jar?  Getting washed and dried ready to take over from jar one or three as appropriate.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 07:18:17 PM »
I always use white spirit in an old thinners glass bottle, wash through after with warm water and brushes stay particularly good.

As soon as they start going a bit grim they get chucked into the weathering powders pot which they last about a week before they drop into the bin completely bald.

In my opinion  :o might not be the same for everyone

:beers:

Offline Papyrus

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 07:22:02 PM »
Thanks, guys! That's really interesting information. I like John's 4-jars system - I might nick that!

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 07:38:12 PM »
The only major difference between white spirit and Humbrol or synthetic thinners is that white spirit does not have the additives "driers" etc in it.

For those who did not know this fact, if you pour your waste dirty thinners into a resealable jar or bottle, the dirty thinner will clear leaving a sediment at the bottom.

Offline Papyrus

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 05:29:43 PM »
Chris

I use four little jam jars for brush cleaning.  The first has dirty white spirit,  The second has clean white spirit (it becomes the first jar in due course).  The third has Humbrol thinners.  It's interesting that a brush which appears clean after the second jar leaves paint on the kitchen towel after immersion in the third jar.

The brush then gets a good wash with washing up liquid, a thorough rinse and left to dry - standing vertically.

The fourth jar?  Getting washed and dried ready to take over from jar one or three as appropriate.

Best wishes.

John

Hello John,

Just to let you know I have adopted your 4-jar system with great success. Many thanks for the idea.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline N_GaugeModeller

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 10:42:15 PM »
One thing I like about Humbrols enamel thinners is it's smell, quite a pleasant smell compared to the rather sickly smell of white spirit.

Must admit though I much prefer a propped enamel/synthetic thinner even though it stinks compared to the others with a much faster drying time, but I am airbrushing so don't need the self levelling something like white spirit would offer a brush painter.

I notice that my local home base sell a low odour white spirit, not tried it though so don't know low odour it is or how good it is with enamels

My Local art supplier used to sell a low odour thinner thst was quite good but they stopped selling it dome time ago.

NGM

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 10:53:45 PM »
I always used turpentine.... is white spirit the same stuff?  :dunce:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 02:38:00 AM »
I always used turpentine.... is white spirit the same stuff?  :dunce:

I had a look at the "Diggers" product sheets for their Mineral Turpentine and White Spirit. Looks like mineral turps is a blend of light and heavy and white spirit is 100% heavy.  Like you, I use mineral turps for brush cleaning.

MINERAL TURPENTINE
Solvent naphtha (petroleum), light aromatic 64742-95-6 < 40%
Naphtha (petroleum), hydrodesulphurized heavy 64742-82-1 < 70%

With components:
1,2,4 Trimethylbenzene 95-63-6 < 20
1,3,5 Trimethylbenzene 108-67-8 < 15
Xylene, Mixed Isomers 1330-20-7 < 15
1,2,3 Trimethylbenzene 526-73-8 < 5
n-Propylbenzene 103-65-1 < 5
Cumene 98-82-8 < 5

WHITE SPIRIT
Naphtha (petroleum), hydrodesulphurized heavy (Low Aromatic White Spirit) 64742-82-1 100%

With components:
1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene 95-63-6 < 10
1,3,5-Trimethylbenzene 108-67-8 < 10
Xylene, Mixed Isomers 1330-20-7 < 10

Mark

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 02:42:18 AM »
Well that's certainly answered that!

Thank you!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline N_GaugeModeller

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 09:40:05 AM »
That's interesting, I have a bottle of 100% Napther I use as a cleaner in one of my other hobbies, never thought of using it as a thinner, it also has a different smell to the normal white spirit i buy.

Will have to give it a go.

NGM
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 12:06:23 PM by N_GaugeModeller »

Offline Platy767

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 11:33:08 AM »
I hope this doesn't add to any confusion. On this web page there is a discussion about White Spirit, Mineral Turps and Spirit of Turpentine (I think we call that Gum Turpentine in Australia)

https://www.jacksonsart.com/blog/2018/04/17/oil-painting-solvents/

I looked at the "Diggers" info again and this is what is listed for Pure Gum Turpentine

Thinner for oil-based paints in artistic and china painting where a particularly high-quality finish is required
        Unique eucalyptus odour
        Insoluble in water

Diggers Pure Gum Turpentine is a thin, volatile oil with a unique eucalyptus odour. Different to mineral turpentine, Diggers Pure Gum Turpentine is highly refined and is predominantly used as an artist paint thinner.

So, it looks like Mineral Turpentine ($3.70 per litre) and White Spirit ($9.40 per litre) are petroleum derivatives and Pure Gum Turpentine ($21 per litre) is a high class oil paint thinner.

I think there might be some crossover in the names depending where on the planet one is, so I'll stick to using Mineral Turps to clean the brushes!

Offline N_GaugeModeller

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 04:03:32 PM »
Just tested the Naptha as a thinner used with Humbrol Enamels in my airbrush

Results was a 100% success

But then again given that it smells exactly the same as Humbrols thinners I suppose that should not be a surprise.

Certainly a much better experience than the usual synthetic thinners I normally use as it didn't stink the flat out.

Just ordered another 5 litres to keep me going for a few years

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything