!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Beyer Garratt new project  (Read 485 times)

Online Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Beyer Garratt new project
« on: October 31, 2019, 10:49:24 AM »

Here is my new Beyer Garratt rebuild project.
A number of you may remember me building a Beyer Garratt 18 months back, the castings were the last from Lytchett Manor and were quite awful, aero bar bubble holes, side of cab part missing, couplings only part formed. They were unable to offer replacement castings and I understand that the moulds are now end of life and no more are to be made.
So...I set to with Milliput and automotive fillers, the result is the top fully built Beyer Garratt, whilst I lost the will to live and didnt add any detail the result has been an astounding success, at my Club on two different layouts it has pulled 101 wagons (plus a brake van),with total ease, (I called it 'a dalmation train' - you should be able to guess why).
The opportunity has just arisen of a non runner box of bits of what i'm guessing is a Skytrex kit, poorly assembled, incomplete, a broken chassis, missplaced buffers, no steps - BUT - as its whitemetal I can paint strip, break open the glued bits and start again with what are crisper castings from a lesser worn mould, this time I will use solder for corrections and assembly.
I am aware of other members Beyers including the twin Fairburn; I would like to ask two points, has anybody detailed theirs with handrails etc? if yes please can you add photos and details of what you added, second a question maybe for Dr Al, the project has two chassis with white gears and larger (pastry cutter?) wheels, i'm wondering whether i'm better off keeping my original black geared chassis?
Kind regards to all.

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
Re: Beyer Garratt new project
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 11:34:29 AM »
When you've finished you can run them double-headed with a humungous long train like they do in South Africa...:

:D :D :D

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Online Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 11:52:44 AM »
Thanks Chris, thats a wow video!
When we have run my Beyer at the club the limiting factor is Peco couplings, at 101 wagons on our snaky layout we struggled with uncoupling issues. On our easier oval layout it was far more reliable with 101, the Beyer could still accelerate like Scalextric here again couplings were the limiting factor. I only wanted to run 101 wagons as a silly target figure. Maybe to double head coaches?
Kind regards from Fred

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 12:24:07 PM »
I am aware of other members Beyers including the twin Fairburn; I would like to ask two points, has anybody detailed theirs with handrails etc? if yes please can you add photos and details of what you added,

I've built about 8 Garratts in my time, a couple being superdetailed, most box built. There are old photos on my Flickr of the superdetail one.

second a question maybe for Dr Al, the project has two chassis with white gears and larger (pastry cutter?) wheels, i'm wondering whether i'm better off keeping my original black geared chassis?

Both those kits look buildable/re-buildable.

In terms of the chassis, any 5 pole Black 5 chassis is a good one. White Nylon gearing is the best Farish did (Bachmann are switching back to it!) so I always retain these type chassis, as they are rare (only made 1984).

Black geared chassis are later, but equally good. They rarely if ever suffer split gears.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 12:42:15 PM »
it has pulled 101 wagons (plus a brake van),with total ease, (I called it 'a dalmation train' - you should be able to guess why).

Presumably because it knocks spots off everything else :-X
(Yes - I know why really)

Online Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 01:45:10 PM »
ooohhh aaaa; I should have said that the complete Beyer in the photo at its top is my Beyer, ive nicknamed it 'The beast' equally Ive named my GEM 7f 'mini beast' although the 7f is only suited to pulling the skin of a rice pudding.

Ive now paint strippered the castings, they really are quite crisp, the original builder has filed too much off in places however at least these days I know how to low temperature solder. Ive had to disassemble one farish chassis whilst in the whitemetal baseframe footplate as it was hopelessly all glued in place. Ive checked the carbon brushes, they still have partial flats each side of the commutator concavity, the commutator looks unworn, ive yet to do a full 'farish strip' of this and im just wondering it it really is a low hours chassis.

Now a question, i have steps that fell off my original build, ive no steps for the new project.

Im wondering if I can make a plaster cast off an original step then use a high temp iron and some whitemetal sprue and cast myself a set of 4 steps. Will that work? if so I can then low temp solder them on.

Offline east anglian

• N Gauge Society Number: 15731
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 03:50:34 PM »
Hi    Fred,
One    I   built   years   ago,   larger    pony   wheels   and   handrails   on   the   water   cart   only

Online Fredastaire

• Awards
Re: Beyer Garratt new project progress
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 10:35:07 AM »
Progress and a surprise
Ive painstripped the castings, they are a world different to my first Beyer Garratt, very clear detail. Both chassis Ive rebuilt, they have small identical turquoise paint blobs from the factory build at Poole so I know they are year matched. Ive rebuilt the back to front chassis to normal build with a spare cylinder block for testing ease and had them following each other on my test oval, one each side to start and the speeds are near enough the same. I had a heck of a fight with the water tender chassis to extract it from the whitemetal baseplate, ive no idea how the original builder got it in; I had to bend the chassis plate and dismantle the Farish chassis to do it. ive now filed and trimmed the chassis plate proper and it now slides in and latches as designed. I'm just sorting the broken plastic cylinders.
A question - the buffer beams are glued totally wrong, one is now detached but looking at photos the castings are totally wrong ; any comments anybody? ive found reference photos on Ebay listings and found that if you view on an Ipad its possible to view full screen images, something thats not easy on either IPhone or laptop; its helping me locate dmensions for the handrail holes.
Now the surprise, yesterday I went to the Burton Railex show and bought the book 'Derby Days - Memories of a Midlands Railwayman' ; there is detail in one section for 1943 when the author was paired as fireman to my Grandad (driver), AND a few times they were rostered to - Beyer Garrats !!!!!!
I have seen my Grandads employment records, he was passed in 1935 to drive the first LMS diesel shunter, later he passed for 10,000 and 10,001 and 10,100, he also drove the turbine (?) diesels.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 10:36:35 AM by Fredastaire »

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 12:07:04 PM »
Cool about your Grandad.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline BramptonBranch

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 05:12:18 PM »
My Father took the last in service Garret from Hasland to Toton for  scrap. There was a rumour at the time that a Hasland driver wanted to buy one but was treated as a bit daft!

There's pictures of it at Toton awaiting disposal.

Online Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 09:57:00 AM »
Just thought that I would add this photo as it might inspire somebody else. The cast bogie / coupling was a rough cast plus had been somewhat abused on assembly by the original builder.
I scraped all clean, opened up the wrecked axle hole and low temp soldered in a brass axle tube. next was to add blobs of low temp solder to lengthen and square up the bogie before cutting a slot for the coupling. I used a standard Farish NEM style coupler slightly trimmed in length. To secure I drilled a hole thro and fitted a tapered clock pin. Wheelset is standard Farish wagon wheel set with the points ground off. Yet to fit is a sliver of lead underneath the bogie block to add some weight. My bogie mods enables pulling more than 100 wagons on our club tracks.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here