!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Elegoo Mars - My first adventures with 3D resin printing  (Read 199 times)

Offline cjdodd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Owner of Colworth Hill and Billybrook Yard
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Elegoo Mars - My first adventures with 3D resin printing
« on: October 26, 2019, 11:27:38 PM »
So i'd been pondering getting a 3D printer for a while, after many YouTube reviews and forums visits i decided to go for the Elegoo Mars. I put my order in at myminifactory.com and a few days later it arrived.

Setup was so so so simple, and within the hour i had my first prints running. The results have been extremely impressive with just standard out of the box settings. The biggest learning curve is the slicing software but its one of the simpler ones I've used. And so far I've only had one print fail and that my my fault for not putting in enough supports.

My first few prints were some missing Lego parts and some n scale pallets. Then i threw a mini darth vader into the mix to try out the process of hollowing out a model.

You can't really see in the photos but you can see the grain individual planks on the pallet and all the spacing etc... spot on.

Today i thought i'd try something a bit more adventurous, an n scale wind turbine.

I need to trim away the support maternal and cure it but so far its looking really good. The blades are currently printing at the moment, They should be ready when i get up in the morning.

More photos to follow once it's got all the parts cleaned up.

Online Shropshire Lad

• Awards
Re: Elegoo Mars - My first adventures with 3D resin printing
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 08:55:28 AM »
Great stuff! I've not had chance to unbox my Mars yet! It'll probably have to wait until next weekend now
Cheers Colin

Offline cjdodd

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 09:07:07 AM »
Stock up on paper towels and disposable gloves. Iíve also got a UV nail light coming on Wednesday to cure the prints as the British sun is just not strong enough this time of year.

Online Shropshire Lad

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 09:46:54 AM »
I've got a UV LED strip on order to make a curing 'bucket' so I'm hoping that will do the job. I was going to get an ultrasonic cleaner too but I think I'll try some water washable resin first.
Cheers Colin

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 11:11:23 AM »
As someone in an identical position 2 months ago with a Photon Iím watching this with interest!

Iíve got an ultrasonic cleaner, definitely much easier, but I have noticed that the plastic Ďlipí around both the bath and the lid is cracking up after less than a month. Not sure if itís the IPA or the resin within it that causing it to degrade. I think itís cosmetic, as the actual tank is metal, but not ideal.

Offline cjdodd

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 11:31:34 AM »
I'n going old school at the moment, Tupaware with a straining basket in it :-)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002ARYAQQ

Offline cjdodd

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 11:33:16 AM »
I also picked up from Amazon this solar powered turn table. The UV light will power it and turn the prints round while they cure

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07P5T6TC1/

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal