!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Just one question left.....  (Read 234 times)

Offline Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Just one question left.....
« on: October 20, 2019, 01:01:07 PM »
Resin (Photon) or PLA (Reprap Prusa)?

Over the last couple of years Iíve been very close to biting the bullet and buying a Reprap PLA printer. Then just as iíd talked myself into it I see the Photon everywhere and people talking about resin printing. The only downside I can see is the initial purchase price; <£100 vís ~£200.

Is there any advantage to buying the cheaper PLA printer, any negatives at all about the resin printer? I feel a bit like Iíve gone back to square one in the decision making process!  :help:

Thank you in advance. Any advice welcome!

Regards
Paul
Gold Hill - my rule 1, ďjust for funĒ micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline Delboy

• Awards
Re: Just one question left.....
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 02:12:20 PM »
Hi Paul,
There is no disputing that the resin printers are more accurate from a detail point of view but from my experience with a filament printer I can confirm that with the right settings you can still get very good detailed prints, and personally I have been very happy with the outcome of my attempts at modelling in N gauge. See my link below for a few of the 3D printed parts I have managed.
From reviewing info on the internet I have been put off moving over to a resin printer simply because of the safety issues and the fact that my printer is in my study and not easy to adapt a ventilation system for that room. According to what I have noted, the PLA filament is very low in fumes and certainly has no odour. The resin printer is more dangerous (advised to were latex gloves, mask and googles) and ideally needs to be in a well ventilated room (perhaps a workshop or garage) and is far more messy, due to the "clean up" required post printing. At the end of the day the decision is yours and you can get good printers of both types for far less than they cost even 6 months ago. Good luck whichever way you jump.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=42283.msg523373#msg523373

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=44195.msg549856#msg549856

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=44444.15
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:16:29 PM by Delboy »
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 02:45:03 PM »
Thanks Delboy. I have to say that your efforts look excellent! Funnily enough, on my list of ďto doĒ regarding 3D printing is an inspection out for an engine shed. Much like your ash pit. 

Gold Hill - my rule 1, ďjust for funĒ micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 02:47:32 PM »
Yes, I have done an inspection pit, it is just a little bit deeper than the ash pit.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 03:00:09 PM »
Iíve got a Photon and really like it. I primarily wanted to print rolling stock, so didnít think an FDM printer would cut it.

They are a bit of a faff, and mrs njee20 finds the smell pretty offensive (I donít particularly), but Iím happy with my decision.

Print volume is far smaller on all but the most expensive resin printers, if thatís a factor.

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 05:46:02 PM »
About two years ago I purchased and built a Prusa based FDM printer (Hictop 3DP-12) to help me with prototyping.  After I had assembled it I encountered a bit of trouble leveling the bed so being busy at the time lost my patience, wrapped it up and stored it in the top of my cave.

However this winter it transpires I have plenty of work where I really need a 3D printer to aid me with prototyping. So got it back out of storage, blew off the dust and placed it on a table in my office with the intention to master this little beast.

It took me about a week and a half of evenings of swotting up and tweaking this machine to where I need its resolution to be for the work that I do, have to say the time spent was well worth it.

Learning to use Arduino (free editing software) is a must, as is flashing the machines EEPROM with new firmware such as Marlin not only transforms the machines ability to print a much finer resolution, but there are also safety issues such as thermal protection that prevent fires!

In a nut shell when it comes down to a very small size SLA printers will give you a smooth detailed print, thats why they are a hit with jewelers, the downside is SLA resin is expensive and brittle.

As for FDM printers when size starts to matter they take over, the build plate on my machine is 270 X 200 X200, so if your desire is to print off tunnels and stations for 'N' or come to think of it 00, this is your machine.

Unlike SLA resin FDM printers print PLA which not only is stronger but can be glued using 'Methlylene Chloride' as like HIPS or styrene which most kits that you buy are made of. And if you really want to push the boat out there is ABS filament which these printers are well capable of printing and for our hobby that's about as strong as you need!

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 06:28:37 PM »
These prints could have been improved using a lower resolution, the 360 digger could also have done with supports for its cab roof, they were printed using a 0.2 nozzle.

As they were test prints I didn't bother with tidying their edges. However unless you are someone who wears specs with lenses the size of jam jar bottoms these prints would look good on any layout!

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £10.00
Below Goal: £90.00
Site Currency: GBP
 10%
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal