!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My rolling stock projects and the odd building  (Read 9582 times)

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
Re: My rolling stock projects and the odd building
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2020, 07:56:06 PM »
The wagons I bought for Clifton Wood were made by someone for my mate who sold them to me, it was only a week after I'd received them that he realised that hed sent me the wrong wagons!!!

The ones I'd been sent were built as pipe wagons not timber wagons so the stanchions were too far apart for prototypical log wagons. Alan gave me the option to return them so he could send me the proper timber wagons BUT not one to be beat I hacked off the original stanchions and another mate @njee20 3d printed me 180 legs that were suitable for these wagons.

I did look into buying some of the NGS kit 54b KSA wagons, I may still do but after reading Ben Andos build thread on the initial trial build of the kit, as much as I'd love all the ratchet straps and bulkhead detail I dont think I'm quite up to building that standard of kit yet.  :uneasy:

So these are a very long way off being able to run on the layout but hopefully they look a bit more authentic. A bit of sanding and  a lick of paint and then a few hundred hours of cutting my willow into 18mm slices to stack onto them  :-[

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+36)
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2020, 08:10:46 PM »
that's right,
blame your supplier  :-[

the new stakes do look good, and AFAIK the paint scheme was Halfrauds red oxide primer.

by the way, am I right that the chamfer on the top of the stakes is now the other way round ?

by the way, the black log wagons are still available, should you want a rake of 16? >:D
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2020, 08:19:21 PM »
Theyll get recoated in Red oxide rattle can and then white and rust stanchions,

I did have a discussion with Nick about which way round the chamfer goes as one drawing had the angle into the wagon, I chose to have it away from the wagon so it matched the headboards, I dont know which way is right or wrong  :dunce:

Ha, I'd definitely love to have a rake of 16, along with another 23 of Nick's biomass hoppers, problem I have is that Clifton Wood is already 3 times the size it was meant to be, to run the stock volume I want it would need to be 30 times bigger!!!!!

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+36)
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2020, 08:27:20 PM »
you have other barns don't you  >:D
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2020, 08:53:00 PM »
I did have a discussion with Nick about which way round the chamfer goes as one drawing had the angle into the wagon, I chose to have it away from the wagon so it matched the headboards, I dont know which way is right or wrong  :dunce:

I suspect the chamfer should be inboard - so that when the logs are dropped in if any hit the stanchions they get deflected inwards rather than out.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2020, 09:14:33 PM »
In this part of Ireland we have a lot of forestry. I know I am talking about road haulage, but all the tree trunk carrying trailers I have seen have the chamfer inboard, probably for the reason mentioned by @chrism .
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2020, 03:39:52 PM »
In my box of construction equipment I bought off a mate were 2 Tomytec Logging Wagons

Again Hino chassis but as were up north these can belong to a penny pinching firm north of the border, the biggest problem with them was that these were destined to carry full tree loads rather then 3m cut logs that our forestry wagons deal with, and as such the loads that will arrive at Clifton Wood.

I have a proper tech spec image of the Scania forest wagons A W Jenkinson have on fleet so have an idea as to what they should look like

So luckily Tomytec wagons are all clip together make up so a quick strip down and out with the plasticard. Now this is in no way finished, theres plenty of detail to add and sort out but hopefully a start in the right direction

I'm hoping someone has detailed their own hiab to give me a few pointers on whether it's worth the hassle of attempting to fit hydraulic hoses and the like???

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2020, 10:35:27 AM »
Still under run bars to be finalised along with straightening the stanchions.

Log loads are all made to be fully removable  :'( whose idea was that!!!!!

Hiab has had a high mount seat attached to the neck and an imitation hydraulic ram for the end boom, still log grab to be built and added, I've attempted to add hydraulic hoses but it's more hassle then it's worth and they looked a good bit over scale so easier to go without.

Luckily with Clifton Wood as small as it is I cant run more than 1 of these, I am tempted to try an articulated version rather then a drawbar as well though.  :hmmm:

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2020, 05:58:18 PM »
Well with the structural side of Clifton Wood complete I'm waiting on a few additional details while I'm building stacks and stacks of willow blocks, 18mm cuts of willow  16mm high and 240mm long!!!!!

The main loco is to be an 08 gronk, this, at this moment in time (mainly because I want to play) is BR Blue, I have a replacement body that is part way through a paint job.

So as this delightful little workhorse is going to be approaching 65 years old (give or take) and the repaint into blue was probably at least 30 years ago I guessed she was going to look a bit grotty.

Like my thread begins with I've been weathering wagons, even top quality revolutioN ones I've had a go on, a couple of coaches and 1 N class Mogul (which got a good reception from you on here) not being a diesel man, or even modern image modelling this was going to be a risk!!!

So I mixed up a somewhat faded BR blue, it looked good to me, shot a quick couple of coats of varnish over the box fresh finish. This was then dry brushed with my homemade br blue. Couple of coats of grime and then a very thin black wash over bits and pieces.

Drama when I came to peel of the maskol on the glazing  :'( the side panel just fell inside!!!! I do need to get inside to get her chipped but still something I didnt want to be doing.

I'm very happy with how shes come out, I need to polish the buffer heads but after honest opinions and what I've missed as this is a bit out of my comfort zone 

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2020, 06:17:17 PM »
Stunning.i would leave alone. Really must be pleased. Polished buffer heads would only look good if hauling an express or an important top link duty

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2020, 06:20:50 PM »
Cheers Chris, yeah sorry my mistake, polish the grime off to make them look like theyve been shunting and the grime has been worn off by contact!!

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2020, 06:22:33 PM »
What are you using craig to polish ? They look ok to me

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2020, 06:28:07 PM »
Cheers Chris, yeah sorry my mistake, polish the grime off to make them look like theyve been shunting and the grime has been worn off by contact!!

Maybe just a dab of silver paint in the centres?
Buffers are usually convex so they wouldn't have made contact across the whole face, just the centre - possible a horizontal ellipse shape to show contact wear when working tight curves.

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2020, 09:19:23 AM »
Well after looking at the pictures again last night I thought the gronk looked a bit dark. The faded blue didnt seem to show itself well enough.

I know that fading BR Blue is a notoriously hard job and I'm definitely only a weathering beginner, as in I've attempted to weather 10 bits of stock!!!! So this morning I sat back down at the bench and found a few faults......

the blue didnt show faded just dirty
I'd not rusted any hinges or door corners
the buffer heads needed signs of use
the chassis didnt have any clumpy grime or rust
the glazing is too pristine

So I've made a start,

I've rubbed some of the airbrushed weathering off to try to show more faded blue.
Added rusty patches to hinges and door edges
Attempted to show buffer wear
Added powdery grime to the chassis

The glazing I will tackle once I've popped the cab off and stuck the one side back in.

Hopefully shes looking a bit better now? When I sit down with my coffee and sausage sandwich in a bit I'll actually read the NGS BR blue supplement, I never knew I'd need to read it!!!!

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2020, 09:44:06 AM »

the buffer heads needed signs of use

They look right to me now.
 :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31