!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My rolling stock projects and the odd building  (Read 10946 times)

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
Re: My rolling stock projects and the odd building
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2019, 04:12:23 PM »
And just to prove the lights work!! Down platform has now been surfaced and fences installed. Painting and weathering on that one before lights go on and platform wise this section is ready for mounting to the board and scenery.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2019, 10:53:19 AM »

Well that's it, the platforms are complete and all weathered, signage added, bench and lampposts. All that remains is the concrete and asbestos roofed platform shelter.

Road bridge is now finished after a few washes of muck and another matt varnish.

Board will be built this week, and by the weekend I hope to have the track laid and ballasted. That then leaves me 16ft of scenery to carve and cover.

I only discovered static grass a couple of weeks ago so my list to Santa has included a Peco static grass applicator, I know lots of others are cheaper and you can make your own but my local shop is a peco stockist and we have a good relationship with him so I need him to stay 15mins up the road!!! So scenery wont be complete before Christmas but it will be quite near and it will give us 8ft of mainline running over Christmas, this doesnt link up with board 2, that is nearly laid but not wired but board 3 could be built at the same time as this one (board 4) and we could then have 16ft of mainline  :claphappy:

Steady it looks like were starting to get somewhere!!!

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2019, 11:02:29 AM »
Thats a decent length to operste a train 9
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 11:12:51 AM by crewearpley40 »

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2019, 11:10:09 AM »
48ft overall running length chris with helix at each end

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2019, 11:41:49 AM »
Atmospheriic lights. Pleased ?%⁷

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2019, 11:46:29 AM »
The lights I am extremely happy with, they are as close to original as I can physically get, 10 for 6 all wired with resistors and run faultlessly out the box.

I have wired these to an old Farish trainset controller which gives me the ability to dim them down to try an imitate a set of 1950s station lamps rather then present day LED bulbs. Bearing in mind the white slab behind the platform reflecting the light back is a piece of plasticard so with that removed and the correct scenery it should look hopefully very atmospheric and realistic
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 11:48:04 AM by exmouthcraig »

Offline BRMan

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2019, 04:58:50 PM »
The lights look superb, where did you source them?  I'd like to get some for my little station.

Cheers
J

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2019, 05:02:58 PM »
@BRMan layouts4u.net

Brilliant service, not massive choice but exactly what I needed. 10 for a set of 6.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2019, 06:53:43 PM »
By sheer coincidence as AlanK I too had to build a steel girder bridge for the layout.

Luckily this fell exactly on a board joint, I mean it's as if some calculations were done to achieve such luck  :uneasy:

The bridge, as I've built it was the best we could work out from a handful of pictures during our timeframe. Typically the bridge was not the focus of the photographer so a bit of work was required to get the information we needed.

The council changed the road over this bridge in 1974 and consequently the bridge needed to be rebuilt, the current bridge is a concrete deck with face brickwork so totally wrong for our period.

The road crosses the track at a 30 angle so the pillars had to be built on the skew as I've tried to replicate. There are still buttresses to add and huge retaining walls on the NE and SW side so these will be worked out and built.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2019, 10:46:35 PM »

Well the abutments have been built and brick covered, I think I've just about managed to line the courses up  :hmmm:

Coping stones will be a dirty York stone colour, ribs and rivets run underneath the deck for some reason  :o was a good trial of my patience.

Time to dismantle the deck and send it to spray booth now, only problem is being black and white photos its impossible to know what colour 1950s steel bridges were painted ???

Any ideas or recommendations welcome...... please!!!

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2019, 11:02:17 PM »
Red lead's a good bet (think Forth Rail Bridge) for which Halfords Red Primer would suit. One near where I grew up was a metallic mid grey. Filthy, of course!

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2019, 11:07:11 PM »
@maridunian thanks Mike, I think the red might clash with my brickwork  :hmmm: not much salty sea air about where the bridge is.

I didn't know whether a rust patched matt black and well grotty would of been what 50s Britain would of allowed it to be like ??? Like my water tower diorama I made ???

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2019, 09:23:56 AM »
The 50's were actually pretty austere. WW2 had exhausted the country and the rail network in particular. Rationing didn't end until 1954. Serious investment in the railways came in the 60's. Grimy is timeless; pristine is fleeting..

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2019, 09:50:14 AM »
I'd suggest similar treatment you mete out to your Butterley mineral wagons, Craig, and just some soot/smoke staining on the abutments :hmmm:

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2019, 11:41:37 AM »
That bridge looks good @exmouthcraig . I would go with a grotty, bit rusty, grey.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal