!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My rolling stock projects and the odd building  (Read 2114 times)

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
Re: My rolling stock projects
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2019, 06:00:43 PM »
The SR actually had lines into Cornwall and actually ran freight out of there as well as the 'noisy neighbours' who history leads us to believe were 'THE Railway" well there were others that were just as good and then there was the SR which were the best!!!  :-[

I cant actually prove whether the SR did haul any china clay wagons but I quite fancied some. After finding out 5 plank wagons had been dumped for coal way back we got ourselves the 16T mineral wagons for that and I had 10 Peco 5 plank kits now technically surplus.

A good forum member, could of been Martin @port perran however it's a few years ago now so sorry if I'm wrong sent me some genuine cornish china clay.

Now, yes they should be on a 9ft chassis, yes they should have tie bars BUT as I dont even know if their 100% accurate for my metals these are 2 details we can over look.

I'd managed to loose 2 pages of brick paper in the 'office' and the only way I could think of finding them was to have a proper good clean up and sort out, I opened a box and found my 10 kits, painted bauxite and fitted to chassis, all the wheels were there in a nice container and 2 packs of SMITHS BR TARPAULIN SHEETS, absolutely no idea where I got them from but this afternoon I decided it is time to clear the backlog of wagons and get them ready for running so.....

Loads were made from tissue wetted with 50/50 PVA /water mix, scrunched up packed into the wagons and left to dry, tarpaulin sheets were cut up and glued to the load and sides before being folded around the wagon ends, and weathered with some real china clay.

They might not be accurate but I can run a rake of china clay wagons now, which hopefully they look like????

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2019, 06:09:38 PM »
Looking very realistic craig those china clays. Thank you for sharing with a mini tutorial and photos. Chris

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2019, 06:35:56 PM »
Hi Craig
Yes indeed , I did send you some clay.
Regards
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2019, 06:36:05 PM »
Yes, love the random lumpyiness and white dusting of wagons and sheeting!

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2019, 06:40:58 PM »
@port perran well thank you Martin, I've FINALLY got round to using it and brilliant stuff it is too.

Might make myself a nice china mug with the leftovers  :bounce:

@maridunian thanks Mike, amazing what a soggy bit of tissue paper can create!!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 07:34:52 PM by exmouthcraig »

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2019, 07:32:49 PM »
 thanks Mike, amazing what a soggy but of tissue paper can create!!!

I think there should be a double 't' in butt. :D
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2019, 07:35:30 PM »
@RailGooner

Or an I like it should of been  :doh:

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
Re: My rolling stock projects and the odd building
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2019, 05:43:10 PM »
Well as I cant get comfortable to crack on with high intensity detail jobs I thought I'd attempt some scenery.

The platforms were worked out to be

UP = 114ft long (228mm to scale)
DOWN = 244ft long (488mm to scale)

These were built using peco concrete platform edging and a layer of plasticard over the top, I'm trying to find pictures that will dictate what surface is laid on top of these.

Just at station limits we have an over road and the embankments have paths cut into them down to the platforms, typically the road is not at 90° to the track but the bridge was built out of local sandstone of random pattern.

Now yes the peco ones are tunnel mouths so we have a bit more of a round on them then necessary but everything else worked perfectly. I hacked a few up to enable the copings and corbel course all to run in line and gave her a quick paint.

No copings are needed ontop of the mid section of wall, the bank literally sits behind it and the weeds all hang over the top.

Still weathering powders and washes to go but I'm quite happy so far with the way this west face has come together. The east face is quite similar but skewed from this one, the lining section will take some working out!!!

If I struggle to get back to work this week then I might even get the station board built with track laid and scenery formed  :laugh: maybe my leg will hurt more then I think  :-X

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2019, 05:48:36 PM »
Hope the leg does not hurt, (in real life), too much.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »
Thanks @dannyboy remarkably still no pain and I can climb the stairs leading with my left so massive improvement. As much as I'd like to see this section finished I need to get back to work to pay for it all :o

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2019, 04:39:03 PM »
On closer inspection and few more photos I managed to work out I'd built the west side retaining wall wrong. This was highlighted by another one showing how close to each other the platforms ended.

No drama, quick snap of the glue and it all came apart. I'd never built a bridge, let alone one skewed, or one that needed lining!!

On the UP line, a very short 2 coach platform, the loco stops right beside the west side retaining wall, hence the heavier weathering.

The lighting is still showing a slight gleam to everything so another blast with the matt varnish once it's all settled in.

Because these are tunnel mouths there is no inside face so that was filled and a few courses of brickwork put in to tidy it all up. Bridge deck still needs road surface but there were no footpaths on this bridge and today it is single file traffic so presumably it's always been quite tight in width.

The east side has much remarkably cleaner retaining walls, the ground has more of a natural slope to it and drainage is probably better.

This is one of 5 bridges to be built, the next one is just steel plate so hopefully quite easy to do.

Weathering still needs work, blending and a few more details to pick out but hopefully it looks a bit like a 85 year old (built in 1887 and we model 1960) sandstone bridge well seasoned by the steam locos plying their trade under it 200 times aday!!!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2019, 05:02:05 PM »
Looks an excellent job.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2019, 05:43:34 PM »
Looks very realistic.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2019, 05:45:43 PM »
Thanks @dannyboy I will get to hide the vertical stone joints with overhanging growth and bits once the scenery is coming together. Try and make it a bit more real!!!

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2019, 11:50:03 AM »
The Grand Opening ceremony by the local mayor is yet to happen so for now the running in board remains covered, it should of been a beautiful shade of SR Green but for some reason sky blue will have to do.

This is exactly as the platform was, the fenced recess is to allow for a platform shelter which is still on the drawing board although enough information has been compiled to know exactly what style and size it was.

Peggy and Mavis are sat waiting with their egg sandwiches waiting for the ceremony to begin (I think Christmas might come and go before that happens).

Totem signs for the lamps are made, just impossible to cover as you can read the names so they can wait till lamps are wired and scenery is finished.

Board should be built by end of next week and might even have some ballasted track.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here