!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My rolling stock projects and the odd building  (Read 2115 times)

Offline martyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
Re: My rolling stock projects
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2019, 08:12:04 AM »
Hi Craig;

yet more excellent work.

For brickpaper, Steve Wright uses Scalescenes for  'James St; he reckons its the best he's found.

martyn

Offline springwood

• Awards
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2019, 01:34:25 PM »
On the subject of wagons, I am looking to build up a rake of 46te HEA hoppers in BR Railfreight livery, as per this link

https://www.hattons.co.uk/18109/graham_farish_373_507_46_tonne_glw_hea_hopper_wagon_in_railfreight_livery/stockdetail.aspx

I have an option to buy (second-hand), some very similar hoppers but would be looking to convert them to the example on the above link. It would be my first venture into this, so looking for suggestions on what paints to use to closely resemble those on this wagon as it was originally produced. I guess we've got three colours to consider here; the red, the grey and the black for the frame? Additionally, where might I obtain the BR logo, Railfreight writing and the little warning symbol? Thank you

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2019, 04:47:03 PM »
For paint try Railmatch or Precision. Available in model shops or online.

For the transfers try Fox or Railtec. Only available on line I think.

Other suppliers are available - just use Google to find them,

HTH Norman

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2019, 03:57:12 PM »
Well a while back I hinted about trying something on my 700 Blackmotor that I wssnt going to say anything just in case it didn't work out.

Well after a morning out at a Remembrance Day Parade of which we enjoyed some wonderful MOD hospitality I felt I was in a chilled state of mind and able to tackle the job.

The handrail knobs were drilled out yesterday and they are just all placed in at the moment so lines not perfect. But the problem is getting the right curve around the Smokebox door  :veryangry:  :censored: :veryangry: Luckily I ordered quite a few packs of wire from Nick for this very occasion!!

The other part is the brake blocks and rodding. Again the blocks are fixed but not 100% definitively where they will finish up and still need to join all the rods underneath and get fully set.

The loco will enjoy a full flat and repaint as I've made a massive mess of carving the old handrails off. Luckily for me this was a relatively cheap ebay purchase but I do wonder, as much as i admire the skills of @Dr Al, @Stevie DC, @thebrighton and many others I dont think I have the skillset to be attempting all of this. And am now questioning whether all the effort, time and money for these tweaks leave me with a better model?

Offline acook

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2019, 04:21:01 PM »
Looking at what you have there, and its O gauge on the screen, yes they do. Very worth it.
The next one will be easier.

Alan

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2019, 06:14:06 PM »
The loco will have the full flat and repaint as I've made a massive mess of carving the old handrails off. Luckily for me this was a relatively cheap ebay purchase but I do wonder, as much as i admire the skills of @Dr Al, @Stevie DC, @thebrighton and many others I dont think I have the skillset to be attempting all of this. And am now questioning whether all the effort, time and money for these tweaks leave me with a better model?

Hi

From the picture above I think you do have the skills and are following the right path by practising on cheap models.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2019, 07:19:38 PM »
Carving handrails off is always hard to achieve - I always do a full repaint as it's easier to see that the areas are fully smoothed when stripped.

Saying that though, your model looks very good to me, both handrails and brake gear.

Minor thing - wheelset looks in upside down, so make sure you invert it again before running, or it won't!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2019, 07:43:20 PM »
 :thankyousign: @Dr Al

Yeah wheelset  was dropped in to make sure I'd left enough room between the brake blocks.

I'll finish working on it before giving up and get it as good as I physically can. Like has been said from normal distance it looks better but that's not an excuse to allow poor quality work or bad attempts at details.

Etch brass and wire are certainly not the easiest to work with so the skills you have really are phenomenal

:beers:

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2019, 07:49:37 PM »
Etch brass and wire are certainly not the easiest to work with so the skills you have really are phenomenal

I have an extremely large swear box....  :censored: :censored:  :D :D

Cheers,
Alan

Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2019, 01:34:39 PM »
Well as I'm struggling on with attempting to detail locos and putting off the wiring on the layout I thought I best have a go at a bit of scenery!

I'm going through a bit of a kit building process at the moment to practice my weathering (or attempts at) skills.

So with the water tower built and trying to make it look used and a good vintage about it, it's not going on the layout as it's too small and technically got the wrong shape roof on it, it was prime for a small diorama.

Never done one before, never done scenery before. Theres still a ladder, fencing and a few tweaks here and there but.......

John the driver has just turned up for his shift start in half an hour, seeing Richard (his firemans) bicycle leaning up against the wall hes hopeful hes currently making him a cup of tea.
Bert has managed to collar Roger the scammel driver to bore him with more tales of when "he was taking a container into town for the furniture store"  :sleep:

My matchbox lid diorama thrown out for the masses to comment either way  :hmmm:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 01:35:54 PM by exmouthcraig »

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2019, 02:24:20 PM »
Looking good and you've lost the central join in the roof too. Seems a shame not to have it on the layout though!

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2019, 02:31:21 PM »
Thanks mike, I built my own replica of exmouth junction coaling tower just to practice scratch building, that wont grace the layout, I have shelves filling up with unusable models

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2019, 02:50:52 PM »
Both look very good

I have shelves filling up with unusable models

Then build a shelf layout to put 'em on :D

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2019, 08:29:08 PM »
Thanks mike, I built my own replica of exmouth junction coaling tower just to practice scratch building,...

Wow!
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2019, 08:52:00 PM »
Thanks Mike @maridunian it has been seen on here before but to refresh

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00