!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My rolling stock projects and the odd building  (Read 2116 times)

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
Re: My rolling stock/building projects
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2019, 10:05:12 AM »
Morning All, well as the wait for detail parts continue and time is still hard to find I thought I'd crack on and build a large water tower from the ratio kits range.

Chopped it about so the door was on the end rather tjen the back BUT with these massive windows, which on the original were bricked up in photos but we believe that to of been done at the same time they knocked the steel box off the top, so modelling it with the windows still in the building WHAT was inside the room downstairs?????

I dont think an empty room is acceptable when the windows are that big.

:thankyousign:

Offline martyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
Re: My rolling stock projects
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2019, 10:21:44 AM »
Quite often this was either a stores or a crew/fitters mess room and toilets. I not actually familiar with Exmouth Junction shed layout, but this would be a best bet for me.

Martyn

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2019, 10:24:59 AM »
Thanks @martyn just a couple of false walls and junk then  :hmmm:

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2019, 11:23:04 AM »
Presumably there was a pump somewhere to put water into the tank ?

Offline bridgiesimon

• N Gauge Society Number: 12318
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2019, 11:48:45 AM »
A building like that would have been pretty dirty anyway so with a bit of smeg on the windows, you would not be able to see through them anyway.

Good looking model by the way.
Best wishes
Simon

Offline Steven B

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2019, 12:05:09 PM »
I'm sure there was somewhere on the Settle and Carlisle where the room under the water tank was used as stables for the railways horses.

On the Worth Valley railway the room under the water tank at Keighley is used for storing unused signalling equipment.

Steven B.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2019, 01:01:09 PM »
Steven im sure its appleby

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2019, 02:22:34 PM »
It's all been a bit quiet this week for me, the pain of work got in the way!! I mean it's only because of working 70hr weeks I can build this but it doesnt half upset the progress  :laugh3:

So working through my NGS kit 22 Shark brake vans.  I have 3 of these to build and 1 was always going to be a bit experimental, however all 3 have in one way or another.

Following the instructions you are meant to cut a 2mm section out of the chassis to create a 9ft wheelbase BUT fitting the running board extension pieces you are still short of the ends which shouldn't be the case. So the next one I built on the packet fresh unmodified 10ft chassis  :jawdropping: and this virtually solved the gap!

So the third one was built exactly the same. While trying to find information relating to these I found a very detailed picture of one on the Epping Ongar Railway of which they must own copyright to this picture, it certainly isn't me but it is available on google so I will assume it's safe to add here  :confused2:

Note the crimson internal paneling and cream surround on the internal wall panels, I cant find out how these left the works and whether this is a genuine colour scheme for our time period but I like it.

Number 2 was already matt black internally so left that and once the roofs fitted  :o shock horror you cant see what's what. I've tried to weather the ploughs using different techniques and they seem to be pretty acceptable. The handrails I have picked out in acrylic because I couldn't wait for my tin of enamel  :no: as I've applied the second coat the first has peeled up which is why they look very poor so they will get addressed.
Vacuum pipes fitted, hopefully the right way around!! And instead of making wire couplers I've fitted coupling hooks and brass screwlink couplers which I will test on the oval to see if they can satisfactorily be pulled on these.

Still details to address and the gap to the roof line but a very nice kit to build.

Left hand is 'in work condition' still to be fully weathered. The right is 'ex works condition' with the crimson interior.

Hi @exmouthcraig

They look really good and like you I would not worry about the 2mm if it all goes together OK.  Rather keep the build simple and robust.

Great tip.  Just a shame they are out of stock at the NGS.  :(

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbMLEwYTXc6fdwur2wOb0LA/videos

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2019, 07:12:17 PM »

Rain dictated a relatively early day for me today, we are finally starting to dry up after being considerably under water for the last 4 weeks, every time we have more then 4hrs rain everything disappears under water, the house is like a scene from WWII with our barricade of sandbags at every door!!!  Mrs EC is outside working till 9.30 earning us some hard earned so I shot into the relatively warm railway room to crack on.

This has now had a few coats of this and that and a bit of dusting and weathering. I've never weathered anything before so this is all trial and error.

I painted a course of blue bricks for the damp, obviously it should be 3 courses but these bricks are hugely over scale so 1 will do. It's hard to know what's enough. It was still in work as we still had steam and I think railway men of the late 50s were still passionate about their industry so i think this is probably as tatty as it would realistically of got but happy to be corrected either way  :hmmm:

I'm quite happy with the brickwork but think the tank needs a bit of variation of colour so the scrap tins out again and I'm trying a bit of a technique and see about applying that later.

Mistakes and corrections are invited, and even a bit of praise is appreciated if its deemed worthy  :)

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2019, 07:25:08 PM »
Hi Craig - that looks great. The brickwork and tank are fine, but the currugated roof's still rather pristine. Maybe some rust at the ends/edges of the sheets? Perhaps not as bad as this:

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2019, 07:28:32 PM »
Thanks Mike, the roof is still something I want to work on. Luckily for me our own barn has a curved corrugated roof, and is of 1974 heritage so showing its age, I plan to photograph it when I can get in the field to be able to use that as a guide as to how to weather such a roof.

Online emjaybee

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2019, 08:28:22 PM »
I think your water tank looks bloomin' great.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2019, 10:27:12 PM »
Roofs had a bit of a dusting now so hopefully toned it down a bit.

Catwalk and handrails added, only been black painted and not weathered yet. Still got depth gauge and pulley wheel to fit.

Glazing now added but will need dirtying up.

Access ladder to add and then a final weather over the whole building.

The roof is 2 sections joined together but the joint is very visible. Placed an order with DCC supplies today and stuck a bottle of Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty on the order so will give that a whirl and weather that section back in. Hopefully it will be good and work as well as they advertise.

Offline maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2019, 06:18:10 AM »
Roofs had a bit of a dusting now so hopefully toned it down a bit.

Very nice - much better.

The roof is 2 sections joined together but the joint is very visible.

Maybe more "joins" needed? I use masking tape on these roofs to pick out individual sheets. Mask, weather some sheets, move mask, repeat.

The result's not very clear in this picture; I'll try to take a better one later.

Mike

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 06:24:19 AM by maridunian »
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2019, 06:49:45 AM »
Yeah I get what you mean @maridunian, this is a proper recess rather then a sheet joint.

If I fill it I can carve a corrugation into it, the sheet joints I'm working on so think another quick blow over and weather individual sheets.

This one was another sacrificial lamb, try to get an idea of weathering brickwork and buildings.

I  could do with some proper scale embossed brickwork sheets and scratch build one to the proper dimensions.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here