!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My rolling stock projects and the odd building  (Read 2117 times)

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
Re: My rolling stock projects
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2019, 12:56:35 PM »

Now here's a dilemma. Our oil trains consist of revoloutioN Regent class B tanks and GF Esso 14T tanks. We have 15 of each BUT I dont fancy weathering a revolutioN tank as I'm very inexperienced and not sure I'm mastering it all that well  :doh: and as they were particularly hard to get hold of I cant afford to ruin the best wagons we own!!!!

The only tanks I have to practice on are 7 peco Express tanks that are very incorrect for our time frame seeing as though they are on a 4 wheel chassis being one very big problem of a few!!!

So this is my first attempt at weathering an oil tanker rather then the milk tank it appears to be. I'm relatively happy with it but it's only a £5 peco wagon that I wont ever run. I've got various pictures of Regent tanks and Esso branded 14T to try to vary the process but just wondering if it looks right to others????

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2019, 01:33:25 PM »
craig
looks realistic what with the milk residue, rust stains, discharge stains, really well captured and the lettering picked out

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2019, 01:50:27 PM »
Looks fine to me, Craig, bearing in mind milk tanks could look filthy on the outside but were spotless inside. I'm sure not many folks would drink contents of a fuel tank wagon :no:

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2019, 02:01:51 PM »
Yeah I have milk tanks to do but they need serious weathering so will wait to master more before attempting them.

Thanks chaps, not sure I'm confident to attempt a Regent class B just yet so I'll condemn another milk tank to make sure their going the right way!!!

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2019, 04:14:46 PM »
I think I've got this one better!!!!  :hmmm:

Has anyone else been brave enough to weather any of their revolutioN class b tanks yet??????

Offline Papyrus

• N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2019, 04:28:59 PM »
I think I've got this one better!!!!

Just as good, I would have said! They are both excellent - far better than my clumsy efforts. Every wagon would be weathered to a different degree, so both your tankers would look absolutely right in a mixed rake.

:greatwork:

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2019, 04:42:31 PM »
Thanks Chris, they were the sacrificial lambs towards working up the courage to attempt to weather my revolutioN class Bs.

So I bit the bullet after lunch and tried one of the unbranded versions I have because I'm still to scared to ruin them  :'(

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2019, 04:50:20 PM »
Absolutely love it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2019, 04:52:37 PM »
These look good to me. Only small change I would suggest is satin rather than gloss spillage, depending on cargo and recentness of the spill.

NB that 'oil' tanks come in two basic types, Class A for volatile spirits (eg crude oil, ethanol, petrol, diesel, kerosene) and Class B for heavier oils (fuel oil, lube oil, bitumen). Spirit spills leave less residue, and can even have a cleaning effect!

Have a look at these:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=class+a
https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=class%20b

Mike
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 04:57:22 PM by maridunian »
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2019, 05:04:49 PM »
 :thankyousign: @maridunian these will carry Fuel oil and yes my Oil stain is gloss so will matt it down a bit once its dry, that picture was literally just after I'd applied it and got it on the rails.

Having just placed another class B upto it, I have coupled them using N brass screwling couplings, has anyone ever coupled a complete train with these??? They will run in their complete rakes and wont be shunted as the refinery is a good 80 mile down the line but these fantastic wagons do look amazing prototypically coupled!!!

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
Re: My rolling stock projects (now progressing to buildings)
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2019, 06:47:58 PM »
Right well as I wait for decals and detail parts for current projects I thought I'd have a go at weathering a building.

All of our buildings are scratchbuilt as we weren't lucky enough for any manufacturers to think anyone would want to model our location. The buildings are going well but all will need weathering as it was 50s Britain and steam covered everything!!

Even worse then weathering a revolutioN class B is attempting to weather a building you've only built one of and unless you commit another 50 hours into it your not getting another.

I found a line side hut kit in the box a long time ago, built it and it was the first thing I'd primered with my airbrush and it sat on the bench for probably 9months.

So yesterday I thought I'd give it a lick of paint. This wont actually grace the layout but it gave me wood, stone doors and windows and a slate roof to practice on.

It's a bit run down and more suited to late 70s abandoned BR hut from the past.

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2019, 10:13:48 AM »
It's all been a bit quiet this week for me, the pain of work got in the way!! I mean it's only because of working 70hr weeks I can build this but it doesnt half upset the progress  :laugh3:

So working through my NGS kit 22 Shark brake vans.  I have 3 of these to build and 1 was always going to be a bit experimental, however all 3 have in one way or another.

Following the instructions you are meant to cut a 2mm section out of the chassis to create a 9ft wheelbase BUT fitting the running board extension pieces you are still short of the ends which shouldn't be the case. So the next one I built on the packet fresh unmodified 10ft chassis  :jawdropping: and this virtually solved the gap!

So the third one was built exactly the same. While trying to find information relating to these I found a very detailed picture of one on the Epping Ongar Railway of which they must own copyright to this picture, it certainly isn't me but it is available on google so I will assume it's safe to add here  :confused2:

Note the crimson internal paneling and cream surround on the internal wall panels, I cant find out how these left the works and whether this is a genuine colour scheme for our time period but I like it.

Number 2 was already matt black internally so left that and once the roofs fitted  :o shock horror you cant see what's what. I've tried to weather the ploughs using different techniques and they seem to be pretty acceptable. The handrails I have picked out in acrylic because I couldn't wait for my tin of enamel  :no: as I've applied the second coat the first has peeled up which is why they look very poor so they will get addressed.
Vacuum pipes fitted, hopefully the right way around!! And instead of making wire couplers I've fitted coupling hooks and brass screwlink couplers which I will test on the oval to see if they can satisfactorily be pulled on these.

Still details to address and the gap to the roof line but a very nice kit to build.

Left hand is 'in work condition' still to be fully weathered. The right is 'ex works condition' with the crimson interior.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2019, 11:08:45 AM »
Following the instructions you are meant to cut a 2mm section out of the chassis to create a 9ft wheelbase BUT fitting the running board extension pieces you are still short of the ends which shouldn't be the case.

Interesting point Craig. I've a kit that has been stalled for a ~decade at the point were the 2mm section is removed. The uncut chassis already looks very short to my eye for the specific prototype I'm modelling - of which I've only ever seen one photo, now lost. I may never be certain enough to proceed with it.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2019, 11:16:05 AM »
The bottom 2 of mine in the picture are both sat on unmodified chassis and from what I can tell the axle boxes dont seem too far way from where their meant to be. The ploughs finish in a satisfactory position to allow coupling so for the sake of 2mm I'd build it, like I've said before if someone can spot I've got a wagon 2mm longer then it should be they'll be able to find plenty of other faults.

If your not happy with it on a 10ft chassis a new replacement is £4 so your not losing anything by trying. The  van part of the kit is fantastic and can be built totally independent of which ever chassis you mount it on  :thumbsup:

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2019, 01:47:31 PM »
Hi

When I built mine I cut the chassis in half then filed the middle until they fitted between the buffer beams after attaching the supplied extension pieces to the buffer beams.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here