!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My rolling stock projects and the odd building  (Read 10559 times)

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: My rolling stock projects and the odd building
« Reply #240 on: April 08, 2020, 04:25:21 PM »
It certainly does look good - just a shame about the nameplate being in the wrong place  :D

Not sure I get this comment - the positioning of the nameplates on the Farish MN seems reasonably accurate to me (+/- a small amount) - just ahead of the middle boiler band....

On the one you posted a pic of earlier, I agree. The fore-aft and vertical positioning is fine - but that particular nameplate's on the wrong side of the loco  ;)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #241 on: April 08, 2020, 04:31:37 PM »
On the one you posted a pic of earlier, I agree. The fore-aft and vertical positioning is fine - but that particular nameplate's on the wrong side of the loco  ;)

Two identical etches were supplied IIRC in the elderly set of plates I had, so I think this is a limit of pragmatism with the nameplate manufacturer.

I suspect latest supplies from Fox, for example, won't have this limitation. I'll find out on my restoration which is slated to become 35007.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #242 on: April 08, 2020, 04:49:05 PM »

Two identical etches were supplied IIRC in the elderly set of plates I had, so I think this is a limit of pragmatism with the nameplate manufacturer.

That's fair enough, I did suspect that might have been the case.

I suspect latest supplies from Fox, for example, won't have this limitation.

Hopefully not - it's something that, once spotted, sticks out like a sore thumb.

When I was a volunteer at the Watercress Line, one of the senior loco department bods must have had a decent bonus from his employer because he turned up one weekend with one of the original plates from British India Line. A while later, he had occasion to be invited to a function in P&O's offices, where he noticed that on the railing of the mezzanine floor they had nameplates from all three MNs named after companies that merged at various times to become the then P&O - namely British India Line, Peninsular and Oriental S. N. Co. and Orient Line. He was a tad perturbed to see that the BIL plate was the same hand as his and managed to find an excuse to get up onto the mezzanine floor so he could lean over for a closer look.

He realised that P&O had removed the enamel centre plate, rotated it through 180 degrees, refitted it,  painted out the original masthead and painted in a new one on what had been the bottom of the mast.

It turned out that they'd bought the wrong plate and it didn't match the British India Line company flag logo, so they modified it such that it did  :D

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #243 on: April 08, 2020, 05:32:48 PM »
That's a story to remember chris

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #244 on: April 09, 2020, 01:05:39 PM »
So way back in December I started applying CCT waterslide decals to the Pal-brick wagons.

Today i finally got round to finishing them.

Still varnish to go and a light dusting of weathering, these wouldnt of been that old during our time frame and theirs was just as short but they need something.

And a load of some description as they are very light!!!

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #245 on: April 09, 2020, 01:42:18 PM »
I was only just thinking about them the other day.

They're looking good.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #246 on: April 09, 2020, 03:28:42 PM »
The Pal-brick A wagon wasnt that well known and their life was fairly short lived, about 60% of the 1100 or so built were converted to Freightliner coupling adapters to allow those wagons to be shunted.

Pictures of them in original form are quite rare too, when I first found out about Pal-bricks I found this picture, no idea where it is and as my steam education only involved everything SR or Bulleid related (hence knowing a few LNER steamers) I dont even know what the loco is. I'm guessing 8F but not sure

So as mine are from way down south, naturally their being hauled by my recently finished detailed WC 34002 Salisbury, shes had NBL front bogie, bufferbeam detail, etched name plates, brass windows and glazing along with a light dusting.

Pal-bricks have now had a weathered dusting, nothing too extreme but look lightly weathered, a but more then they do in my replica photo

So finally I can get rid of 6 wagons on the bench, ready for the next 11 that need finishing  :worried:

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #247 on: April 09, 2020, 03:40:45 PM »
I dont even know what the loco is. I'm guessing 8F but not sure

Isn't it a 9F?
It looks like a 2-10-0, although the trailing driver is obscured I'm sure I can see a coupling rod extending behind the fourth driving wheel.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #248 on: April 09, 2020, 03:45:07 PM »
@chrism I originally thought 9F, as I have Evening Star I was going to put that there, I think the loco number is 9XXXX but cant be sure  :hmmm: its definitely not a SR engine  :D

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #249 on: April 09, 2020, 04:03:28 PM »
@chrism I originally thought 9F, as I have Evening Star I was going to put that there, I think the loco number is 9XXXX but cant be sure  :hmmm: its definitely not a SR engine  :D

I've had a closer look and, although I can't even make out the 9 in the number, it's definitely a ten-coupled with a front pony truck. The last driving wheel is obscured by steam from the injector but the 4th one definitely has a coupling rod extending behind it. The running plate's way too high for a WD 2-10-0, ergo it's definitely a 9F since there were no other UK 2-10-0's built.
Your initial thought was correct.
 ;)

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #250 on: April 10, 2020, 08:51:28 AM »
The smoke deflectors are the tell tale its a 9F... :D

Martyn

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #251 on: April 10, 2020, 09:40:24 AM »
I agree with Martyn.  Definitely a BR Standard '9F'.  Looks like a BR1C tender which was the LMR's preferred type as I recall.  I have been squinting at the photograph attempting to decide if it's a single or double chimney example.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #252 on: April 10, 2020, 07:21:59 PM »
Back to the workbench, I've had my allotted 1hr of playing running trains. The workload is still as massive so I have to start somewhere.

About 4 years ago i managed to get to chat to a bloke who knows alot of where were building and he willingly sold my copies of a load if photos he took in 1996 just prior to another wave of bulldozers rolling through the site!!!

This is the original SR built water tower. They built a few on this scale, others were at Amesbury and Exmouth junction (any ideas @Bob G  :D) my footprint is exact as we know what size that was but obviously my arches are slightly out as the original had 6 and I've only managed to get 5  :-[ primer has highlighted a few bits especially that front corner that looks like its be chewed off at the angle  :(

I did create the illusion of the corbelled brickwork, still the windows to be cut into the side arches and then brick paper it all up. The roof we are unsure of. I think most were curved corrugated iron so that's what this will be receiving with timber panels on the ends.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #253 on: April 10, 2020, 07:25:55 PM »
 :greatpicturessign: that's a pretty decent representation craig.

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #254 on: April 12, 2020, 01:01:34 PM »
Well a water tower isnt any good without water columns. Luckily for me  :-\ we have copies of the official drawings of the type of column we require.

Standard height of 17' 4" as were not on a platform with an overall projection of 11' 2". By some form of miracle it measures up to be pretty close!!!!

The bracing at the top has been made out of handrail wire and a handrail knob to provide the angled metal work at the back.

NBL brass wheel at the top of the standard.

In matt black at the moment but will be toned down to weathered black. In 1963 these were pretty well worn.

Only 18 to go  :doh:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal