!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My rolling stock projects and the odd building  (Read 10616 times)

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
Re: My rolling stock projects and the odd building
« Reply #225 on: April 08, 2020, 08:05:05 AM »

So like @emjaybee suggested, a coat of primer reveals the horrors that lurk beneath. It didn't come out too bad but there were a few bits I was unhappy with. As such I stripped her back to bare metal and will sort out the problem areas before trying again.

Once she was back to bare metal I temporarily added a headboard and headcode discs and she drew alongside 35022, this was how I thought super detailing 3 years ago would look, a horrible plastic coupling hook and a wrongly positioned vacuum pipe.

I'm pleased with how 35018 is coming along, lots of fettling to do and I think this is where all the good builders, who I'm pleased and honoured that most do comment on my work, these are who I would love to be able to get somewhere near half as good as, all these magnificent builders spot the problems and know how to overcome them and produce the perfect pieces they do. This is where I am right now, and it will take a while I'm sure but i endeavour to get it to the very best of my ability.

One problem is that dad has seen the comparison picture and first comment was "when are you looking at doing the same to 35022??"  :( :doh:

Online chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: April 08, 2020, 08:35:43 AM »
I'm pleased with how 35018 is coming along,

Aha, so that's the name/number choice.
The first to be rebuilt and, incidentally, the second loco I worked on in restoration until the then owners ran out of money and we had to stop work on her.
I then moved across the shed and joined the Urie Locomotive Society guys working on Urie S15 (30)506 and, for a short spell partway through, the Drummond T9 (30)120

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: April 08, 2020, 08:44:00 AM »
Is that c 79 / 80 up to 2 012 when BIL was owned by Messrs heather and bunch down the mid hants @chrism ? And plenty of footage craig of her on railtours specials page @exmouthcraig . Chris

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: April 08, 2020, 08:45:00 AM »
@chrism  :hmmm: not quite, that's what she started as and so currently known as.

I gave dad the opportunity to rename and number her but he gave his usual response of "I have no preference,  if you do, do that"

So I have, numbers and plates have been ordered from Fox.

That's not to say shes even being renamed and numbered either  :P

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: April 08, 2020, 08:59:22 AM »
Is that c 79 / 80 up to 2 012 when BIL was owned by Messrs heather and bunch down the mid hants

Yep, that's it.

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: April 08, 2020, 09:08:35 AM »
Nice job so far, Craig.

Don't forget the TIA tank on the tender top; it can't be be seen from your photos. I also added cylinder drain pipes as well as the front steps, but the pipes had to come off as they fouled on even 15" radius curves.

Just one slight thing for you to consider; according to 'Bulleid Power; the Merchant Navy Pacifics' by Fry, some of the pipework was different on BIL compared to the other rebuilds. The lubricators were also ina different place. But who's going to notice?

I also deepened the firebox sides and added some of the injector pipework to my 35009.

martyn

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: April 08, 2020, 09:23:04 AM »
Thanks Martyn, the tender is about to go through the modifications shop, just simple bits and pieces but hopefully to make a better appearance.

Luckily for us the locos only run in straight lines, the pipework gets us over the points and upto the turntable so this has allowed me to get away with adding everything out of the packs, even cab doors can be put on the tender!!,

Indeed BIL does have different pipework, so IF it gets changed people will know shes staying as '018 however if they dont then people in the know will clock that she is to be renumbered  :uneasy:

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: April 08, 2020, 09:39:02 AM »
Built 1945 Eastleigh. 1956 became the first MN to be rebuilt   8 years after having the honour of being 1 of 4 MN Class locos chosen to take part in the 1948 Locomotive Exchange trials hauling the ACE Waterloo exeter.  Certain features that made her different from later re builds: 1 ) mechanical lubricators were positioned further forward,    2 ) the filler pipes to the front sand boxes were longer and angled away from the lubricators,  3 ) the ejector pipe had a curve positioned just in front of the nameplate, 4 ) waterpipes on the fireman' s side had 2 doglegs. @exmouthcraig are you close coupling the tender ? Hope helps

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: April 08, 2020, 09:45:24 AM »
Cheers Chris, yeah tender drawerbar has been shortened by a few mil just to get her a bit better looking.

If I get time today tender will hopefully gave modifications done and be in primer!!

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #234 on: April 08, 2020, 09:50:03 AM »
If google 35018 loco difference pipework craig  go to nineelms.forumotion.com photos and mine of info there

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: April 08, 2020, 12:58:18 PM »
Once she was back to bare metal I temporarily added a headboard and headcode discs and she drew alongside 35022, this was how I thought super detailing 3 years ago would look, a horrible plastic coupling hook and a wrongly positioned vacuum pipe.

Not sure the first one looks that bad to me. I always use the spare plastic coupling hooks that come as extras with new tool Farish locos.

I'm pleased with how 35018 is coming along, lots of fettling to do and I think this is where all the good builders, who I'm pleased and honoured that most do comment on my work, these are who I would love to be able to get somewhere near half as good as, all these magnificent builders spot the problems and know how to overcome them and produce the perfect pieces they do. This is where I am right now, and it will take a while I'm sure but i endeavour to get it to the very best of my ability.

One problem is that dad has seen the comparison picture and first comment was "when are you looking at doing the same to 35022??"  :( :doh:

Fit a new front bogie to the other one as an interim - this is by far the biggest visual difference that can be made to these models.

If possible, try to recess the boxpok overlay, as this really improves the look of the front bogie also, but can be a fiddle to not damage it in the process of filing down to fit. Makes a difference though:

(rough) example that shows prior to paint - this loco is currently undergoing restoration.

One I did a long time ago ("preserved" fleet):

And a detail and weather job. This shows as far as I tend to go on these - retaining original finish, but focussing on front end detail.

Of course, for those who aren't focussed on the SR region, one can do other interesting things with Bulleids, e.g. loco exchanges 1948 version with LMS tender....

:) :)

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 01:08:32 PM by Dr Al »
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: April 08, 2020, 01:06:49 PM »
Your version of Clan Line with that very subtle weathering has always been admired by me Alan, there is most definitely no way I am adding handrails to another one!!!!

The recessed box box looks absolutely fantastic  :claphappy:

Would never of even thought to do that!!

I think we will get it right, the work horses our Zs will always be the Flagships of the fleet. The Pacifics that just race up and down can be mediocre  :D

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: April 08, 2020, 01:21:02 PM »
Good luck craig. Cannot wait to see her run with suitable stock

Online chrism

• The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: April 08, 2020, 01:27:35 PM »
And a detail and weather job. This shows as far as I tend to go on these - retaining original finish, but focussing on front end detail.

Your version of Clan Line with that very subtle weathering has always been admired by me Alan, there is most definitely no way I am adding handrails to another one!!!!

It certainly does look good - just a shame about the nameplate being in the wrong place  :D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 03:31:12 PM by chrism »

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: April 08, 2020, 04:07:06 PM »
It certainly does look good - just a shame about the nameplate being in the wrong place  :D

Not sure I get this comment - the positioning of the nameplates on the Farish MN seems reasonably accurate to me (+/- a small amount) - just ahead of the middle boiler band....

Looks pretty close to me - maybe a fraction rearward, but by a tiny amount, and pretty accurate relative to the sand filler pipes.

[Excuse the rough model - this is the one that's being refurbished, but won't be 35028 in the end!]

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal