!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My rolling stock projects and the odd building  (Read 10619 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: My rolling stock projects and the odd building
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2020, 06:54:24 PM »
She looks stunning ! I meant your loco.

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2020, 07:20:24 PM »

However I do know that six 60ft panels were loaded and presumably were chained onto the wagon????

I have mocked 1 up with chains but welcome advice and information as to what way they should be secured.

Some examples with chains but most with straps at https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsturgeon

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2020, 10:29:39 AM »
Not to suggest that I've not got alot to fill my days at the moment but when your out a 5 in the frost come 8.30 the necessary work is done but today is to be a quiet day anyway. We felt we deserved another Sunday type day as weve caught up with most things.

So that was me back in the office. Weathered Schools locomotives in BR black arent the easiest to find in colour photographs so working from other images of mixed traffic BR black locos I've attempted to weather my school.

:hmmm:

When I was discussing weathering with Dr Al for my Zs, it is very hard to subtly weather a steam loco. It's very very easy to get exceptionally wrong and as I'm no expert or even half an expert this was a very conservative approach to the subject.

As it's a Nine Elms loco on a return from Exeter on a rare WoE working shes travelled some miles today so passing through our layout she should look a little bit travel worn. I'm hoping that I havent ruined her and she gives the illusion of a hard days work slogging up the banks on the withered arm. ????

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2020, 10:33:04 AM »
That looks good Craig, I think the level of weathering is just right.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2020, 10:33:34 AM »
Is that real coal in the tender ?

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2020, 10:35:02 AM »
@dannyboy  :thankyousign:

Is that real coal in the tender ?

Yep, every steam loco I have gets real coal, even the ones in the shed!,

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2020, 10:35:59 AM »
Absolutely stun ning

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2020, 11:49:33 AM »
Looks spot-on to me!

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2020, 05:45:53 PM »
So today I tried to hard wire a Zimo mx616 into my Class 08 for Clifton Wood.

Soldering is something I havent done for nearly 25 years when I just started secondary school. I have a relatively decent Weller soldering iron and some semi decent flux and low melt solder but absolutely no skill in doing the job.

Needless to say I ran into difficulties and I turned to the clever people on here to help me out.

@Only Me suggested "looks like you need to practice soldering" and rightly so!!! It is horrific and no surprise why I struggled.

However that's what I needed to be told, well I already knew it was  :censored: but to have someone else have the balls to tell you I am grateful for him for that.

So still struggling with my 08 I decided as the soldering iron was on the bench practice was very much needed.

I first started soldering some brass fencing together left over from Clifton Wood, some nice Peedie models etched security fencing. Nothing elaborate just straight butt joints and corners. It needs filing back in a couple of places but it was a massive improvement. I think  :hmmm:

So once those bits had run out I had to have a rummage in th NBL box from TINGS, a few Bulleid front bogies but I cant afford to ruin one of those. So I found a couple of Platelayers trolleys and thought I'd give one a whirl.

Nothing to taxing in them, apart from 3 piece wheels but I was more then upto try to better myself.

A good hour of tiny bits of work and dabs of the soldering iron and i was left with this......

I got a couple of sets of spokes wrong as they span when I touched the iron and a few rough edges to tidy up with a file and fibreglass pencil but HOPEFULLY it can be viewed as a decent improvement on a few hours ago @Only Me ????

I will continue to practice on whatever bits I can because it is definitely a skill worth being semi good at.

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2020, 06:08:37 PM »
Sorry about that I can be a bit blunt at times but if ive helped then if say hell yer! 🤣😂
Fencing looking good.. secret is twist the wires then tin the wire first before joining to a solder pad.  My weller i use at 360 degrees for soldering small wire

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2020, 06:14:39 PM »
No apologies needed, best way to be. I see no point in telling someone it looks good if it doesn't. I knew it wasnt great but like everything another pair of eyes see plenty that's wrong.

I think I need to invest in some decent flux but once I was working, my Weller goes from 200 - 400 and had it around the 300 mark, the flux was working quite well but I think I probably used too much so it will most probably be green in the morning!!!,

On the fence i ran a line of flux then solder to 1 side, fluxed the other and needing 3 hands put heat back to the join to hope the solder flowed across joining the 2, it seemed to work most of the time, not giving up, a long way from being satisfactory but definitely worth the effort.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2020, 07:00:19 PM »
I have a piece of wood alongside my work top, saves melting plastic and when to many burn marks cover it it gets binned, but as well as preventing burns on other surfaces I also find it handy for holding some items, a suitable diameter hole will hold a wire or other metal piece, as for that fence I'd cut a slot or two in the wood and stand the fence parts in that.

The fun really starts when you are trying to assmble something like a loco cab, 2 sides, a roof, floor and front; for something like that I use a number of different melting point solders, say start with 300C+ join one side to floor, the other side to roof, turn down soldering iron to 270 and solder the side attached to roof to floor, turn down iron to next lowest solder temp and solder the other side of the roof, finally turn down further and solder the front to the sides, floor and roof, for jobs like this I prefer to use solder cream
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2020, 07:04:53 PM »
Cheers Mike, you are clearly a very skilled man in the production of your loco fleet!!!!

I doubt I will ever get anywhere near tackling a loco build but bet you had a few wrong attempts through the years to get that knowledge of what bits joined with what solder.

The Joy's of our hobby!!!  :beers:

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #193 on: April 01, 2020, 08:39:57 PM »
These 2 were what I "cut my teeth" on both scratch built from brass, I used tube for the boilers, used the lathe to scrape a bit off between the boiler rings, for the firebox just cut a "T" shaped slit at the back end and opened it out. I think splashers were probably the most awkward, if I was doing another I might use the plotter cutter to cut them from hard plastic or maybe use it to emboss a semi circle on brass sheet , assuming I can't get it to cut the brass, probably sacrifice a blade that way! Another thing I'd change is to use thinner wire for handrails. Both use UM tender drives.  The last A12 to be withdrawn was in late 1948 and never received BR livery nor number so no use for your period, the K10s did last a while though, last 2 went in mid '51  so probably still a bit before your layout time, even L11s were gone by the end of '52

Adams A12 0-4-2 "Jubilee" so called as they entered service in the year of Queen Vics Jubilee

Drummond K10 4-4-0 - mixed traffic version of the C8,

Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2020, 09:00:34 PM »
How many years ago did you slog your way through those Mike???

I really hoped that after oxford produced the Adam's Radial tanks, someone would put out a RTR n gauge version for obvious reasons.

Maybe one day

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal