!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My rolling stock projects and the odd building  (Read 2118 times)

Offline martyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
Re: My rolling stock projects
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 01:44:31 PM »
Over twenty years ago, I did in fact use the Peco reefer van as the basis for some Banana vans.

They're still in use.....together with some more recent Farish ones.

Martyn

Offline exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 06:28:10 PM »
Following a conversation with @martyn today it would appear the information box on the wagon side of the Peco banana vans are incorrect for my time frame.

The text style is listed to of been introduced in 1957 however various sources have questioned this and it appears BR began using this style after 1964!!!!

To late for me to run!! Now it is only a text box and most people will accept that and ignore it, and on this rake I am probably tempted to do exactly that. However with the various other faults with the actual van itself I am wondering whether to build and decal a rake of time frame prototypically correct banana vans  :uneasy:

So for the time being this rake will be tucked back in the tray ready to run and I will move  onto another set of wagons while a bit more research is done into banana vans for 1959 -63.

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 06:34:15 PM »
@exmouthcraig -you only need to change the numbering, rather than building a whole rake! At 'normal viewing distance' it would be almost unnoticeable.

The difference between the Peco reefer van and an LNER banana are small; I can't remember exactly what, but I think it only amounts to some thin bracing on the side, but there are two small ventilation panels on each end to change, for better accuracy.

An easier conversion is the BR diag 242 van (built 1952-56); this just needs the thin strapping on each side, from the roof /side corner diagonally downward to the base of the doors. A photo dated 3/63 shows the yellow circle on the LHS, with the Fyffes, etc, on RHS.

Martyn.

Addendum-the Peco van looks to be very close to the final BR design, diag.246 (built 1959/60).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 06:51:36 PM by martyn »

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 06:57:27 PM »
I'll set my research and development executive (better known as my dad) who this layout is actually for!! To spot the differences between them and decide what we do, the unfortunate thing is he will say to ignore it and just run them, I think hed be happy with an oval trainset. Mind you at least that would be running  :D

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+33)
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 07:24:31 PM »
Craig ........

relax ........

use RULE 1  :smiley-laughing:
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 07:30:18 PM »
My version of Rule 1 or the widely accepted and recommended version of Rule 1????

:-[

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 07:47:29 AM »
Can anyone recommend a very good detail airbrush??

I have a decent compressor and spray booth with ventilation ducting all sorted and 4 airbrushes.

Problem is now I've got my new compressor I cant seem to get any of them to provide a very nice small thin line. I've changed to 0.2mm needle and nozzle and air pressure right down but I cant seem to get the spray pattern I want.

I spent so long trying to set them up for priming so I can cover wagons quite quickly in primer and full colour coats but detail for weathering is where I'm struggling.

I want to buy a good new airbrush and not change it, get it set for the small works and leave it.

I could keep playing around changing one that I have but I think it's easier and less hassle to just buy a new one.

No preference of make or amount to spend so happy to buy cheap if one can come recommended.

:thankyousign:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2019, 08:13:02 AM »
I prefer the previous advice.... relax!  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2019, 09:15:06 AM »
Craig;

I rarely use an airbrush, but was given this site by another member of the Forum when I needed spares;

https://www.everythingairbrush.com/airbrushes.html

You may find ideas there; I phoned them and got a very good reply and suggestions to my enquiry.

martyn

Offline N_GaugeModeller

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2019, 09:31:16 AM »
The recomend an Airbrush minefield is almost as big as the recomend a Hi-Fi minefield

Many will recomend one of the hi end Iwata models and you would bo no wrong in following that advice.  Some years ago I was into military modelling and needed a few different airbrushes for base coats and super fine detail and also ended up down the Iwata route, I then see a recommendation for a cheap obvious Iwata clone from China under the Veda brand name, at the time IIRC they were about 15 compared to the equivalent Iwata which was over 200.  I just for the fun of it bought 2, one with a 0.2mm needle set and one with a 0.5mm needle set.

After testing them I sold all my Iwata brushes and still use the Veda brushes today.

Unfortunately someone in China decided to clone the Veda brushes and the ones you see sold today are not as good as the original maker.

Not much help I know, but whst I am saying is you don't have to spend a fortune if you don't want to, to get a good brush

If you do want to then that's ok. ;)

NGM

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2019, 10:15:52 AM »
I don't think I'm worthy of a 200 airbrush.
 :no:

I read one description about one capable of producing 1mm lines, (which is perfect for what I want) but then came the crucial line

"When skill allows"

And that is the vital thing, very good people can work wonders with cheap stuff and clueless people fail with the most expensive.

I'm quite happy to buy a cheap one to try to get satisfactory results for me, so it was just a throw out see if anyone can tell us good things about one they expected to be useless which didn't cost the earth

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2019, 04:13:26 PM »
... the equivalent Iwata which was over 200 ...

Iwata-ing indeed!
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 07:16:52 PM »
Well I managed to track down a 0.2mm airbrush from a company that shipped with Royal Mail so at least I'll receive it for less then 20 so that will give me something else to try and master.

As with most families ours does have and has had many members serve with the forces  :claphappy: ours were RAF and RAAF over the last 80years even my gran served her country! Being Southern Region modellers and big Bulleid fans Battle of Britain locomotives are plentiful for our layout. We also have photographs linking the Household Calvery to Okehampton barracks and taking plenty of their horses on summer vacation to the moors. Much of these pre date the second war and there is no definite date as to when they stopped this great movement of horses from central London to Okehampton, most of which were transported in cattle wagons!!!!

We right now have a very good professional relationship with the Animal Defence centre and MOD rehabilitation programmes although for obvious reasons that isn't very common public knowledge at this moment in time. We do know plenty of MOD horses are now brought by truck up from London to Melton Mowbray for their summer break and rehabilitation. So with our somewhat limited knowledge of their 'pre war activities' but our knowledge of their 'current vacation plans' we plan to run a Waterloo - Okehampton express with 10 BR horseboxes and a couple of coaches for personnel and a SR luggage van for tack.

This is one of the 10 horseboxes that is now ready to be coupled onto some coaches ready for the journey.
I am hoping that some standard  yellow coach numbers will be the correct size to allow 6 to be renumbered.

This is my first step between weathering wagons and before I attack my great stock of coaches. Again the right hand is box fresh for comparison

Offline martyn

• James St
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 08:38:31 PM »
Nice start, Craig.

if you go to another of David Hey's webpages

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page87.htm

and scroll down just a little you will find a colour photo of 30246 at Guildford shunting green horse boxes. It could help you with weathering ideas.

martyn

Offline exmouthcraig

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2019, 09:05:23 PM »
Thanks @martyn i do especially like the recently replaced lower ramp on the first box!!!

Roof colour variation is worth noting too!!!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here