!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: coach lighting  (Read 500 times)

Offline stephen lewis

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
coach lighting
« on: October 21, 2019, 09:41:24 PM »
I have 3 sets of coaches; GWR Colletts, BR crimson and cream, Stannier Crimson lake, (rule 1?) I have fitted battery powered lights to the Stanniers with a flickering tail lamp to the end coach, I have saved up some money to purchase a second set of lights, and realised I don't know which is suited to my coaches as in flickering, flashing or solid tail light, I am certainly not prototypical, mainly due to a lack of knowledge but would any or one of these options be correct/wrong.
Is fitting working front lamps a possibility?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Steve

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
Re: coach lighting
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 08:31:38 AM »
Flashing tail lamps on UK stock is a modern thing, so "Collets" and "Stanniers" would be either scrapped or in the hands of a preservation group before those came into use. 

In use, they'd carry a red oil lamp at the rear, which should be constant.  There's not much to cause it to flicker. 

Coaches don't have front lamps.   

- Nigel

Offline stephen lewis

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 05:04:00 PM »
Thanks Nigel, logical thought process would have told me that, if only!
Sorry I meant to say is it feasible to fit working front lamps on locomotives,
Thanks again Steve

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 05:36:30 PM »
Yes its possible to fit working lamps to fronts of N locos.  Depends how determined you are, and how close to dead-scale you want it to be.  Thin fibre optic is one way of getting light to a close-to-scale lamp on the front footplate of a loco, with the light source (I'd use a surface mount LED) buried underneath/inside. 

Diesels and electrics generally come with working front lights from the factory.  Its less common on steam locos,  though the Minitrix ones of the 1970's had front light bulbs on the Britannia and 9F. 

- Nigel

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal