!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Resistance Substitution Box: A Review  (Read 1257 times)

Offline ronp849

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Resistance Substitution Box: A Review
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2020, 12:44:38 PM »
If it is just to find a resistor for a suitable LED brilliance, I run an led from a constant current power supply, (Cheaper than some of the resistance boxes posted here :laugh:) and then I calculate what resistance I need to deliver that current. I have not used a resistance box since my school days in the last century.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2020, 11:58:40 PM »
The June edition of Aussie magazine Silicon Chip has a new design which looks most interesting. They say it was inspired by the very resistance wheel in my earlier post, which has now been discontinued.

Their new design though is an RCL box all in one, with a colour touchscreen, and fitted into a compact UB3 jiffy box.

It uses Geoff Graham's Micromite BackPack (for those who don't know, the Micromite is an Aussie success story, and utilises a very comprehensive version of BASIC).

The RCL box uses 30 relays!

This looks like a good bit of gear for circuit prototyping, providing as it does, inductance and capacitance as well as resistance substitution.

It naturally uses SMD components, and the relays are SMD too (Panasonic TQ2SA-5V).

Construction details to follow in July.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2020, 12:53:01 AM »
Geoff Graham's Micromite
How do i put Bealman on ignore? Just as i was getting over my  addiction to ardunios  he  mentions a 3 quid chip that can run basic  has 19 i/o lines and is in stock with RS who deliver next day . :censored:
Don't fart before your arse is ready

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2020, 12:56:54 AM »
I must admit I have no experience with them, but I'm thinking of ordering a Colour Maximite for a play around. I'm a lot more comfortable with BASIC than I am with C.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2020, 01:00:26 AM »
Point of information for UK members: most Silicon Chip projects end up in the UK mag Everyday Electronics, and parts and kits are available through that magazine.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2020, 02:33:38 PM »
Point of information for UK members: most Silicon Chip projects end up in the UK mag Everyday Electronics, and parts and kits are available through that magazine.
Thats a blast from the past I haven't read EE in 40 years, since I started doing the stuff for a job..

Ah I see EE hasn't existed in it's own right since 1997, it was merged into Practical Electronics, which dropped Everyday back out of the title in 2019..
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 02:36:48 PM by The Q »

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2020, 03:19:07 PM »
Thats a blast from the past I haven't read EE in 40 years
If you want to catch up theirs plenty of old issues at https://worldradiohistory.com/Everyday_Electronics.htm
Don't fart before your arse is ready

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2020, 01:01:09 AM »
Thats a blast from the past I haven't read EE in 40 years, since I started doing the stuff for a job..

Ah I see EE hasn't existed in it's own right since 1997, it was merged into Practical Electronics, which dropped Everyday back out of the title in 2019..

You are quite correct of course, but I must admit that until your post, I never noticed that in the newsagents!!

Most of the articles are still from the Aussie source, though.  :thumbsup:

No doubt the RCL box will show up in there soon. I'm very impressed with the design - it even has a 'ramp' feature built into the software to automatically select a substitute without damaging the circuit.

The relays combine RCL values within the box to obtain other values. Clever!

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal