!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: LMS 40 Ton hopper wagon.  (Read 1408 times)

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
LMS 40 Ton hopper wagon.
« on: October 01, 2019, 10:13:26 PM »
So, while I'm waiting to resolve an issue with some resin Cromwell tanks I'm struggling with I've made a start on something else....

....to turn this....

...into one of these....

I purchased two of these Fleischmann wagons on FleaBay for 15.

I've stripped one down and started by reducing the height of the hopper by a scale foot. I've got to alter the shape of the hopper top a bit, so I'm having a go with some MilliPut. I'm not sure if this product is the most suitable, I'll find out shortly.

Has anyone got any other suggestions for products to build up areas for re-shaping?

Does anyone do custom transfers? I know there's a few sites that do standard wagon letters/numbers, but is there anyone who will do you a sheet of custom numbers for beasts such as these?

:wave:

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: LMS 40 Ton hopper wagon.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 10:25:23 PM »
Can't answer your questions, but what an inspired idea! How did you come up with it?

I didn't even know of such an LMS wagon!

The idea is very original, and I hope you get the help you need.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 10:58:47 PM »
Can't answer your questions, but what an inspired idea! How did you come up with it?

I didn't even know of such an LMS wagon!

The idea is very original, and I hope you get the help you need.  :thumbsup:

I have two socking great big books....

LMS Wagons, Vol 1, & Vol 2 by R.J.Essery.

There's wagons in there you wouldn't believe, from the sublime to the ridiculous!

:goggleeyes:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 11:01:07 PM »
Ah, yes, by the LMS guru himself.  :thumbsup: :thankyousign:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 11:05:56 PM »
They look far too similar to be co-incidental. Were the LMS trialing German rolling stock captured during the war by any chance?

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 11:11:29 PM »
They look far too similar to be co-incidental. Were the LMS trialing German rolling stock captured during the war by any chance?

I'm with you, seriously, what are the chances of two companies in two different countries coming up with almost identical wagons?

I'm guessing one was inspired by the other.

Offline Safety Engineer

• N Gauge Society Number: 11721
  • 2mm Association Number: 3923
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 11:52:16 PM »
Always thought the originals brought coal to the LMS power station at Stonebridge Park (for the Euston/Watford DC trains). We used to see them going South, on the WCML at Hatch End when I was train spotting in the early 60s.

Martin

Online honk843

• N Gauge Society Number: 1800
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 12:04:54 AM »
I did think of trying this but other projects got in the way. I think I would have gone for the Minitrix ones though.

I used MilliPut to repair a damaged resin signal cabin. It took the paint OK to blend in with the original and is still in place over a year later but I am not sure how thick you want this to be. Try to have a look at what the Pottery experts do on the Repair Shop if you can.

The development of railway rolling stock has always been pretty international (the Southern bought L1s from Germany just before the War and used American  designed bogies on their original 40 ton hoppers-forerunner of the Seacow etc.) even if the loading gauge prohibited the widespread direct use of foreign wagons and these wagons. To me they also look like a forerunner of the Consett Iron ore wagons of the fifties/sixties.

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 12:05:59 AM »
Always thought the originals brought coal to the LMS power station at Stonebridge Park (for the Euston/Watford DC trains). We used to see them going South, on the WCML at Hatch End when I was train spotting in the early 60s.

Martin

You're quite correct sir, have yourself a cookie.

:thumbsup:

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 12:07:15 AM »
I did think of trying this but other projects got in the way. I think I would have gone for the Minitrix ones though.

I used MilliPut to repair a damaged resin signal cabin. It took the paint OK to blend in with the original and is still in place over a year later but I am not sure how thick you want this to be. Try to have a look at what the Pottery experts do on the Repair Shop if you can.

The development of railway rolling stock has always been pretty international (the Southern bought L1s from Germany just before the War and used American  designed bogies on their original 40 ton hoppers-forerunner of the Seacow etc.) even if the loading gauge prohibited the widespread direct use of foreign wagons and these wagons. To me they also look like a forerunner of the Consett Iron ore wagons of the fifties/sixties.

Why do you think the Minitrix ones would be better. I only went for these as I got two for 15.

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 06:49:31 AM »
@emjaybee morning Sir, what exactly do you want to do to the wagon?? I know you've said "alter the shape" but which bits exactly?

I know I'd want to try and profile the lower section of the wagon, milliput might work, we have even used it to pack a split in a horses hoof too prevent debris getting inside till the farrier could address the issue!

Depending on the thickness it would add considerable weight to the wagon.

Can you cut profile ribs at quite close centres and over clad with plasticard? To get that sheet metal flatness??? I dont know how much width you need to create the right profile.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 07:08:16 AM »
here 's one for safety engineer and  emjaybee mike

https://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-and-traffic/143-lms-coal-the-40t-hoppers. Its a project he has been working on with a Keith Bristow, who ran a modelling article in Model Rail in the Feb 2013 issue. The aim here is to present some more detail about the bogie 40T wagons and their workings 1929-67 from some collieries in the Midlands to Stonebridge Park power station in north-west London

https://pjbrailwayphotos.piwigo.com/picture?/31655

Online emjaybee

• Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 07:48:55 AM »
@emjaybee morning Sir, what exactly do you want to do to the wagon?? I know you've said "alter the shape" but which bits exactly?

I know I'd want to try and profile the lower section of the wagon, milliput might work, we have even used it to pack a split in a horses hoof too prevent debris getting inside till the farrier could address the issue!

Depending on the thickness it would add considerable weight to the wagon.

Can you cut profile ribs at quite close centres and over clad with plasticard? To get that sheet metal flatness??? I dont know how much width you need to create the right profile.

I see the wagon in two halves. The hopper top above the 'waistline' and the side discharge doors below.

The lower half doors, in theory should almost have an aircraft wing profile and tuck in more at the bottom closer to the bogie. Tucking in more isn't an option as it will restrict bogie movement and I'm not too worried about the profile as I don't think it'll detract from finished article if I leave them flat. The detail between the doors will be sorted out later.

The hopper top I've lowered by a 'foot' and need to make the sides and ends more slab-sided for want of a better description. The amount of milliput is minimal, about half a sugar cube in total, so I'm not worried about the weight.

I'm not going to tell the wife about the milliput and your horses or that'll be something else that'll become 'my job'.   ;D

Online exmouthcraig

• Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 07:54:39 AM »
Should be a relatively easy job then, just another 8 to make the full rake  :D

I think I had chris isherwood???? From Cambridge Custom transfers make me some for a correct rake of Grampus wagons, someone will correct me but decent stuff, really clearly printed, nice to work with and fast turnaround for delivery  :thumbsup:

Online w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 07:58:00 AM »
Are these the same wagons that were used at thhe Consett Iron works up north ? I think it's an ideal subject for the 3D printer boffins to have a go at.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here