!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Journal 5/19  (Read 2499 times)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Journal 5/19
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2019, 12:21:44 PM »
I have said what I have said, @Dr Al!

Some suggestions have been made. Now up to you what you'd like to write and send off to me via the usual channels. Otherwise this gets like when the wife says she'd like to go out for dinner but then doesn't actually tell me whether she wants Indian, Chinese, a steak or whatever... just becomes circular. So just tell me what YOU would like to write about most.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2019, 12:48:10 PM »
I have said what I have said, @Dr Al!

Some suggestions have been made. Now up to you what you'd like to write and send off to me via the usual channels. Otherwise this gets like when the wife says she'd like to go out for dinner but then doesn't actually tell me whether she wants Indian, Chinese, a steak or whatever... just becomes circular. So just tell me what YOU would like to write about most.

I have no problem with doing something for any of the completed models, and no strong preference.

However, I have very limited time to consider devoting to this (likely only 1/2 hours at lunch time at work), so I think you do need to cherry pick what you want specifically, whether it be a single article or series (again, I have no preference, but if you wanted LNER as you say, there could be a series), and then look at the material available as I said before, as to whether there's enough (particularly photos) of truly publishable standard. I simply don't want to dedicate time to something that will ultimately be rejected for that (perfectly reasonable) reason, so that input is absolutely essential to go any further.

Other aspects also need consideration - e.g. the material is already in the public domain here, so some may grumble, and moreover, I myself may wish to use it again on say my own dedicated website. I'm not sure how that kind of thing fits in with NGS.

I'm happy to discuss by PM to pull together our thoughts and decide on what's suitable.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces. Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2019, 01:40:54 PM »
@Dr Al,

As I said some messages back, I really like the Fowler tank engine. Completed model or not seems unimportant. The pictures look fine as they are, but what we need for publishing will be the raw images (as they are direct from the camera) because the publisher prefers to do the editing rather than have the article writer do it.

Beyond that Dr Al, I don't want to be prescriptive. I know time is limiting for many people here, so it's entirely up to you whether you send 3-4 photos for a gallery piece, a single model with a paragraph or two explaining some of the details, or a longer article with photos showing a succession of important steps. Entirely up to you!

We can indeed discuss via email or PM, as you prefer. But did want others to know that I'm not about telling people what to write -- and don't want to start doing that here! -- and more about welcoming what people feel they want to write.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 01:56:26 PM »
Keeping things on thread that may be of interest to all:

As I said some messages back, I really like the Fowler tank engine. Completed model or not seems unimportant. The pictures look fine as they are, but what we need for publishing will be the raw images (as they are direct from the camera) because the publisher prefers to do the editing rather than have the article writer do it.

Ok, thanks. Many of the photos are as off the camera, except they've been cropped to remove the detritus of the workbench. I presume original but cropped is ok?

We can indeed discuss via email or PM, as you prefer. But did want others to know that I'm not about telling people what to write -- and don't want to start doing that here! -- and more about welcoming what people feel they want to write.

Absolutely. I just feel that guidance is useful to submit something that is close to what you need in terms of standards; rather than making more work for everyone by submitting things that are wide of the mark.

PM me on it if you so wish. I'm happy to privately discuss a couple of forthcoming projects, that I won't post publicly yet, to see how they might fit in also.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces. Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Stevie DC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 06:23:46 PM »
Ive managed to skim read some of the Journal today and would like to thank Nemo for taking over the role and hitting the ground running in fantastic style.

Id also like to thank him for taking the time to read my idea, giving me the confidence to put pen to paper and agreeing to publish my waffle. Having previously held voluntary positions (not modelling related), I can appreciate just how much time they can take away from work/home/family life. I cant even begin to imagine just how much time must be taken up by reading through all the submissions, deciding what is going into the latest issue of the Journal and then editing it all into a format suitable for A5 publication.

While I note that Nemo rightly acknowledges and thanks those who have been helping him, I think that he also deserves thanks for taking on what must be a monumental task.

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2019, 10:21:26 PM »
Landed on my doormat this morning, and another fine effort. Thank you @NeMo! Very useful and interesting article on soldering etched kits, also a long, detailed article on Rheinbrucke, a German-based layout which got a bit technical for my little grey cells. And no less than two articles by Ben Ando. Also the Chairman's report shows the Society is back on a very positive footing.

Well done, all.

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Online Ted

• N Gauge Society Number: 28852
  • Needs. More. Grime.
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2019, 10:33:58 PM »
I've just subscribed 👍

Offline Tonye

• N Gauge Society Number: 11231
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2019, 07:30:38 AM »
 :hellosign: Received my copy on Thursday and got a shock!, I won the competition , yet to receive the prize which I believe is a loco .  :bounce:
Tonye

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2019, 09:37:51 AM »
Reply #19, Steve;

And thanks for the clarity of your own article.....

martyn

Offline 5944

• N Gauge Society Number: 9265
    • Twitter
    • My Flickr
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2019, 09:54:45 AM »
Agree with all the other comments - a very good magazine. The first one was getting there, but absolutely nothing wrong in this edition. I've only had time for a quick flick through (getting married today so not much free time!) but should be able to have a proper read next week. A good variation of articles too, especially that one about melting lumps of metal together by some Steve bloke...  :thumbsup:

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2019, 10:01:01 AM »
congratulations from us all 5944

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2019, 01:34:57 PM »
I've only had time for a quick flick through (getting married today so not much free time!) but should be able to have a proper read next week.

Congratulations, although maybe someone close might have something to say about your 'proper read' :uneasy:

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2019, 03:02:25 PM »
Congratulations to you both. You could start out as you mean to go on and tell your bride that you have brought a magazine to read and you will be reading it later after the speeches.  ............ On second thoughts .............. maybe not such a good idea.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2019, 05:16:25 PM »
Agree with all the other comments - a very good magazine. The first one was getting there, but absolutely nothing wrong in this edition. I've only had time for a quick flick through (getting married today so not much free time!) but should be able to have a proper read next week. A good variation of articles too, especially that one about melting lumps of metal together by some Steve bloke...  :thumbsup:

It may be a good idea to N gauge with her in a different way tonight if you want your marriage to stay on the right tracks and not hit the buffers too early  :(

Congratulations though  :claphappy:
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2019, 05:26:58 PM »

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00