!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Journal 5/19  (Read 2500 times)

Online exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+6)
    • Awards
Journal 5/19
« on: September 26, 2019, 08:13:48 PM »
Well I managed to get down to my post box at 7pm a full 14hrs after leaving my front door!! It was a shock to see it with a bunch of magazines (horse & hound and Farmers Weekly) so as my good lady is outside working till 9.30pm trying to earn us some money I'm sat at my dining table eating my birthday dinner alone, doing something my mum would kill me for.....reading whilst eating at the table!!

Well @NeMo I must say it's another cracking edition with some very interesting articles in there. But the best bit......

A mere 48 words into the editorial you thank THE TEAM you work with and admit although it's your name it's a massive team effort. And I think that's wonderfully refreshing in a dog eat dog world of self promotion and selfishness.

So I look forward to enjoying the journal but congratulate the whole NGS for this well informed insight into our hobby

:thankyousign:

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Journal 5/19
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 08:28:16 PM »
Thank you @exmouthcraig for those very kind words.

I've been really blessed with some great articles to include, and it's good to know that people enjoy reading them. If you're thinking of submitting something, please do get in touch.

Hopefully the next issue will also include a BR blue supplement that will go down well with the members, and perhaps jog a few memories for those who remember that era.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 09:11:39 PM »
My copy arrived today at lunchtime, so guess what I read whilst have yesterdays leftovers? I had a quick skim through and read a couple of articles, (have to save some for tomorrows lunch  ;)) and the thing that struck me was the 'readability' - it was so pleasant to read, which is something I never really thought about with the previous editor, (although I did enjoy reading my copies!). Well done @NeMo  (and team  :)).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 12:22:21 AM »
Yet to get mine, but agree with exmouth's comments having seen the first - refreshing to have the editor, editing. Previously between 25 and 50% of the content was consistently written by the former 'editor' (so not really an 'editor'...).

I hope this positive attitude helps diversify further the number of contributors in time.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 06:42:05 AM »
I love Duncan’s Shirebrook layout, so enjoyed the front cover. That’s as far as I’ve got, I suspect removal from the plastic will be necessary next  :confused1:

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 07:04:15 AM »
I hope this positive attitude helps diversify further the number of contributors in time.

That's the idea!

And don't forget, @Dr Al that you are more than welcome to send in something about any of your marvellous creations! Even if you don't fancy writing a whole article, a couple photos with appropriate captions would be more than welcome.

Same goes for anyone else on here. Please do get in touch.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline honk843

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 1800
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 08:46:58 AM »
Brilliant.

I agree totally with sentiments of those who have gone before.

Online Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 08:50:03 AM »
All going to plan I should have some rare “me time” tomorrow (SHMBO our with Rainbow Guides, Gremlin at Grandparents), so I really should crack on with my next submission....

Have started reading this issue of the journal, loving it. The article on the German layout (forgive me, forget the name) is fascinating. I wouldn’t normally be interested as it’s not a U.K. model, but the choice of track, use of a helix and automation mean I am hooked.

Congratulations to @NeMo and all involved...

P.S: The accompanying news letter is also very refreshing...the chairman’s report even includes the phrase “all good news”  :D

Skyline2uk

Offline acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 09:01:31 AM »
P.S: The accompanying news letter is also very refreshing...the chairman’s report even includes the phrase “all good news”  :D

That just means @NeMo has done a really good job as editor of removing any bad news!  :P (only joking before I am hung drawn and quartered for my insolence)

But seriously @NeMo  and all the good folks who put the Journal together well done it's been a really good read with a nice mix!

:thankyousign:

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 10:02:54 AM »
And don't forget, @Dr Al that you are more than welcome to send in something about any of your marvellous creations! Even if you don't fancy writing a whole article, a couple photos with appropriate captions would be more than welcome.

I will make the same offer that I made to the previous 'editor' (which was totally ignored) - have a look at my workbench thread when you have a moment ( https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=27336.0 and https://www.flickr.com/photos/68426125@N07/), and if there's anything of interest, let me know and we can look to pull something together.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 10:50:42 AM »
I will make the same offer that I made to the previous 'editor' (which was totally ignored) - have a look at my workbench thread when you have a moment

In fairness to Grahame, there's 43 pages of your workbench thread for him/me to go through! Much easier to simply say, "I like this particular model, what do you think?"

Still, I like the 2-6-4t Fowler and would happily have that featured somewhere in the Journal.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 11:40:58 AM »
In fairness to Grahame, there's 43 pages of your workbench thread for him/me to go through!

Sure, though there was less than half that back then. Truth is, previous 'editor' simply wasn't remotely interested in anything from me.

Still, I like the 2-6-4t Fowler and would happily have that featured somewhere in the Journal.

That one isn't quite finished yet, but we could do something.

At a glance, there are:
LNER K3 3D print build
LNER K1 3D print build
WD 2-10-0 build
Fowler 2-6-4T kitbuild/superdetail
LNER V1, V3 tanks 3D print build
Conversion A1 Tornado backdate to A1 production (and I have another to do)
Class 31 renumber
UM B12 superdetail
UM 2F Superdetail
BHE LMS Patriot rebuild
Langley Standard 4MT kit builds/superdetail x3
LMS Stanier 2-6-0 build
LNER J52 build
SR Merchant Navy 1948 loco exchanges conversion
LNER A4 streamlined valve gear enhancement
GCR L1 2-6-4 tank build
LMS 4P Farish model update
Peco Jub repaint
GW 47xx rebuild
LNER A3 subtle detail and weathering
LNER D49 build x2 (1 unfinished)
Class 86 backdate to original condition (unfinished)
LMS Ivatt 4MT build (unfinished)

Also, I have older ones, probably not on here
LNER W1 4-6-4 build (rebuilt design)
LNER J50 build
UM D20 superdetail
LNER N2 kitbuild
UM J39 superdetail
LMS Garratt superdetail kitbuild
LMS Duchess 1948 loco exchanges conversion
Peco 2251 repaint

Future plans I won't reveal, but they include several large interesting prototypes, and have also got plenty on loco rebuilds, maintenance and repair as I've done so much of this.

The editor needs to look from the publishability point of view, particularly photos wise - the photos on the WB thread are basically all that I have of the progress of the builds, some aren't that great (photoshop?) so this may limit what you feel is usable. Throwing together words is less onerous as a lot of that exists on the WB descriptions, so would need pulling together into a single document.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 11:48:54 AM »
Hello @Dr Al,

Not for me to comment on Grahame's editorial decisions!

But so far as your projects go, ones that appeal to me include:

• Peco Jubilee repaint -- a popular locomotive widely available secondhand, and a repaint of the common black version into either LMS red or BR green would surely be on many people's mind.
  • GCR L1 2-6-4 tank build -- we simply don't get enough LNER projects submitted compared with either GWR, generic transition era, or modern image layouts.
  • Langley Standard 4MT kit builds/superdetail -- having seen discussions here about whitemetal kits being obsolete, and then seeing your models, this would surely prompt some modellers to look at whitemetal with a more open mind.
  • Class 86 backdate to original condition -- a personal bias showing through here, but with the Dapol 86s back on sale again, this might be a timely article for those modelling the pre-80s WCML.

Frankly, anything about building LNER locomotives and/or updating Union Mills models of LNER and LMS prototypes would be extremely welcome.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline carlwooduk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9368
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 12:06:54 PM »
2 great articles ticked boxes for me  in this journal, the soldering how to guide from Steve and Stuarts loco shed with a DCC turntable  from DCC interface.  Photos on front cover & centre spread are call outs as well.
Well done to the editor and all contributors.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 12:17:12 PM »
  • Peco Jubilee repaint -- a popular locomotive widely available secondhand, and a repaint of the common black version into either LMS red or BR green would surely be on many people's mind.

I've done a few, though these aren't well documented - there are basically just finished pictures. One is still for sale too...

• GCR L1 2-6-4 tank build -- we simply don't get enough LNER projects submitted compared with either GWR, generic transition era, or modern image layouts.

L1/L3 build starts on page 14 of the WB thread.

Most of my builds are LNER/LMS, so some to choose from in list above.

• Langley Standard 4MT kit builds/superdetail -- having seen discussions here about whitemetal kits being obsolete, and then seeing your models, this would surely prompt some modellers to look at whitemetal with a more open mind.

Fairly well documented on 4 or 5 builds over many years.

• Class 86 backdate to original condition -- a personal bias showing through here, but with the Dapol 86s back on sale again, this might be a timely article for those modelling the pre-80s WCML.

This isn't finished yet, so a bit to go before it's an option.

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal