!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)  (Read 9278 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 09:36:39 AM »

Track planning, for me, is very much a case of laying the actual track (of which I have a decent amount from years of gathering) on my living room floor to try out and measure various configurations. None of these new-fangled software packages for me
Stand by, stand by...………………...
A man after my own heart.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 12:26:41 PM »

Well Gentlemen, here is a rough plan of the Maen Quarry Railway. It is not to scale and not to be taken too literally as it is, obviously, free-hand!

The idea is that the main circuit (red) is under the control of Controller A (I have a Morley twin track controller), the Maen Station and yards along with Carnellis Station and yard (blue) are switchable between controller A & B and the branch (orange) is controller B only. This branch will ascend to a higher level than the main line so it above Carnellis station. The green track in between the main Maen Station platforms is controlled by a DPDT switch which enables the triangle to work electrically. Whether or not I decide to use microswitches to tie the DPDT's job into the bottom point of the triangle, thus making it an automatic function governed by the switch of the point rather than a separate switch-action, has yet to be decided.

I feel this plan gives a great deal of operational flexibility and triangle allows trains to start and terminate at Maen Station as well as turning locos of any length. 2 train operation can continue on the main (red) circuit without being interrupted by station/loco movements.

I have chosen to not include a loco-release crossover in the main terminus platforms as loco length can vary from 0-6-0 tank engines to mainline locos which could be 10 inches or more in length. The length of head shunt plus crossover will mean a lot of wasted platform space. Shunt release will be performed and I have several suitable locos for this role.

The branch platform line does have a (probably set track point) loco release as the branch will be the haunt of 4 wheel carriages and so train length will be much less than mainline carriages.

Other advantages of this plan are:

NO HIDDEN TRACK! I like this idea. Easier to maintain:

All points no more than 2 feet away. Also easier to maintain and due to their proximity to the front of the layout will be operated with a special tool using the in-built plastic tie-bar lugs rather than the hassle and expense of point motors.

I envisage colour light signals rather than semaphores as there really isn't a commercially available range of working N gauge semaphores and I prefer working signals  :angel:. I see the need for bracket and multi-headed signals and these would be too difficult to make.

As an aside, Carnellis station gets its name from a contraction of 2 words: Carn - which is a recurring word in Cornwall e.g. Carn Brea, and Nellis - which is the name of a Las Vegas USAF base. It is supposed that one of my fictional characters had an Uncle who served as a Fighter Pilot in the USAF and liked the name.

Any questions or comments, please feel free.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:49:42 PM by chrispearce »
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 01:37:55 PM »

As I sit here with my patio door open, enjoying the breeze and a decaf coffee, I thought it might be useful to show more clearly how my track plan relates to my fictional 'reality'.

The top image is, of course, the same image as from the first post. It shows the area orientated as it is in reality.

The second image is rotated so to appear as it would if the railway actually existed and is the view-point for the layout with the yellow pins showing the location of the main places.

The third image is a repeat of my track plan so you can relate it to the actual location where all this is supposedly built.

Hope this makes sense.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 01:52:45 PM by chrispearce »
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »
It makes perfect sense.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 03:05:55 PM »
Looks good to me and I agree, plenty of  operational potential.
And as for the name, it’s not far off a real place, Carnmenellis being just up the road.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2019, 03:28:25 PM »
Looks good to me and I agree, plenty of  operational potential.
And as for the name, it’s not far off a real place, Carnmenellis being just up the road.

Thanks Martin and Laurence. Yes, Martin, Carmenellis is close by. I have to admit it was an inspiration for my station name. Oddly enough there are several references to 'Carnellis' on Google but they are limited to the names of shops or roads. I can't find any reference to a place by that name. This, really, is good news for me though!

I am having a day off from building today. I am currently on pain-killers (Tramadol for an annoying inguinal hernia) which are not far-removed from Morphine so I can get rather knackered rather quickly. I have been building the support legs for my layout over the last 2 days so I'll do the remaining 2 tomorrow and get the wood for the horizontals sorted on Saturday.

I am, however, glad to report that my castors have just arrived through the post from EvilBay and are perfect for the job.

All is good in Chrissy-land!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:38:24 PM by chrispearce »

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2019, 10:40:02 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
    Interesting idea Chris, looking forward to seeing this build
       regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2019, 01:59:43 PM »

My support legs are finished! :claphappy: Obviously upside down but I wanted to show the newly attached swivel castors. The ones farthest from the camera have lockable brakes. The green triangles are waterproof MDF that was fashioned to look like 6 inch square tiles. I had cut the squares out and then cut each square into a triangle with the intention of using them as corner braces for a bathroom DIY project. I since decided that they weren't practical and 'kept them for a rainy day'.

As luck would have it I had EXACTLY the right number to build these legs!

How good is that?

Anway, after a mug of decaf and a phone call to my Brother-in-Law to wish him Happy Birthday, I will venture out to my nearby B&Q and buy the next 8 6 foot lengths of 44mm x 44mm strip wood to build the horizontals.

More later.  :thumbsup:

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2019, 04:57:25 PM »
Hi Chris,

Very neat and professional looking  :thumbsup:.

Keep up the momentum but be careful on those stairs. Not so much falling down them but damaging pictures or wallpaper. Sort of thing I'd do (done)  :doh:  :).

Cheers weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 05:14:01 PM by weave »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2019, 05:27:02 PM »
Hi Chris,

Very neat and professional looking  :thumbsup:.

Keep up the momentum but be careful on those stairs. Not so much falling down them but damaging pictures or wallpaper. Sort of thing I'd do (done)  :doh:  :).

Cheers weave  :beers:

Thanks weave. However, I have neither pictures or wallpaper. You are right, such things are at risk when carting timber etc. up and down.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2019, 10:25:12 PM »

All points no more than 2 feet away. Also easier to maintain and due to their proximity to the front of the layout will be operated with a special tool using the in-built plastic tie-bar lugs rather than the hassle and expense of point motors.

An excellent and imaginative layout plan, Chris.

I agree about point operation and I produced the Poppingham Pole to operate the points, some of which can be 2'6" away, depending on how my layout is orientated.

Best wishes

John

PS A chum of mine was at Nellis for a while.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2019, 06:43:46 AM »

An excellent and imaginative layout plan, Chris.

I agree about point operation and I produced the Poppingham Pole to operate the points, some of which can be 2'6" away, depending on how my layout is orientated.

Best wishes

John

PS A chum of mine was at Nellis for a while.

Thanks John. It is true that Poppingham was one of a number of NGF layouts that got me scratching my head about all this in the first place so thank you for being an inspiration.

Glad that someone else uses a pole/tool to change points. So much simpler if the track plan allows for such things.

May I ask what aforementioned chum did?

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2019, 07:23:55 AM »
Very nice legs Chris.  :-[

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2019, 07:30:27 AM »
Very nice legs Chris.  :-[

LOL. I was SOOOO tempted to post that joke myself! Thank you for doing that for me.

Once I've designed and built my point changing implement I wil, of course, be sharing a picture of my tool.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ ;)

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2019, 12:16:07 PM »

Well, this is the left side 3 foot frame built.

Now, before I go any further with this thread, I would like to warn everyone that the walls of this room are LAVENDER/LILAC. I have got the impression that this colour can invoke feelings of disgust and outrage however I liked the idea when I painted this room many years ago. I did not want to have the hassle of redecorating before starting the layout and the backscenes will be quite tall so any pics of the layout will NOT feature this colour much in the future.

Anyway, it looks OK in the pic.  :D

Just to repeat the process with the 4 foot right side frame!

The walls should be a deep blue by the end of this anyway. :censored:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal