!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)  (Read 8639 times)

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)
« on: September 25, 2019, 02:45:17 PM »
Hello everyone. At last I have started to actually BUILD a layout. As I have started threads before hypothesising various schemes which came to nought I thought I'd wait until I had something tangible to show. My reason for these earlier ideas falling apart was that, over the years, I have collected stock from US, European as well as British outline. I felt that trying to build a layout which was dedicated to one type of stock would preclude other types and, although Rule 1 does indeed rule, I would want a layout which could equally incorporate them all.

So, what to do? Raise the mythical island of Atlantis? Building all those pseudo Greco-Romano temples didn't appeal at all but, a few months ago, I HAD AN IDEA! :D

Well here is the tale:

There is a bunch of friends. They are all successful in their respective careers such as Media, Music, Medicine, Pharmaceuticals, Civil and Mechanical Engineering and such like. They have 2 particular passions in common - all things Cornish and all things Railway. Due to them all being pretty well-off they have, between them, amassed a tidy collection of items of rolling stock which they keep in separate locations about the country. Some are interested in US Railroading, some have imported and restored German locos and, of course, there is a die-hard core of solidly UK, mostly, diesel-lovers.

One day, whilst having lunch at the place that sits out on the sand at Perranporth Beach (I guess I can't use it's real name The Watering Hole) one of these guys looks up from his Carbonara and says,

"Look guys. I've been thinking. Instead of us having all our engines and everything littered about the place, why don't we find somewhere down here where we can lay some track and pool our collection?"

"Good idea", said another, "but where? The only piece of decent-length abandoned track down here is the old branch that ran from Chacewater, through Perranporth and out to Newquay. I don't fancy having to fight with all those landowners to buy the track bed.  It'll take forever and cost a fortune!"

"Fair point," said the first. "How about we find an old disused quarry and build something there? If we can lay 200m radius curves we could build a circuit of track with sidings etc. and make a nice job of it - like a standard gauge version of a miniature railway. We could even have a volunteer society and open it to the public occasionally. It'll make nice tourist attraction."

They all agreed this was a wonderful idea.

And so the search for a suitable place began. 

Here is where they chose:

This is Cornwall from above. That is Falmouth and Falmouth Bay at bottom right. The site is labelled "South Cornwall Railway Centre" as this was the initial idea of what to call the place. It has since been changed to "The Maen Quarry Railway" as, although, there is no reference I can find to the place having an actual name, the word "Maen" (pronounced like MAIN) is found nearby.

A closer view. Don't take your eyes off the little blue loco!

Now, the little blue loco is located in what was, indeed, a former quarry which is covered by the trees/scrub running down the left side of the 2 buildings on the right of the picture. If you look leftwards across the fields, you will see another area of trees. This, I have imagined, was the western boundary of the quarry. The distance across this area is, pretty much, 400m so is big enough for my fictitious 'prototype'. The lane that runs through this area is a public right-of-way so will be diverted. However, there is an actual stream running through the trees on the right-hand side and this will be kept on the model to supply a lake.

Happy?  :goggleeyes:

Anyway, our noble band of friends put in a bid to buy this land along with planning permission for their dastardly scheme and were successful!  :claphappy:

Let's get this party started!
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
Re: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 03:00:22 PM »

I have just finished the first of 4 legs to support the framework which will, in turn, support the layout. The underside of this frame will be used to store things. Each leg will have castors so the layout can be rolled away from the wall for access/modelling. The front set of castors will have lockable wheels.

The dimensions of the main part of the layout will be 7 feet by 3 feet. It is, obviously, a compressed rendering of my 'fictitious prototype'.

I will post a track plan once I have drawn it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 04:22:46 PM by chrispearce »
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 04:24:03 PM »
Text keeps being cut from my post above. I try to modify it but I keep losing words. Why is this? :(

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 04:27:32 PM »
Not sure I understand what you mean Chris.
It reads ok to me.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online class37025

• Trade Count: (+36)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 04:30:41 PM »
you haven't set the program to 'overtype' instead of 'insert' have you ?
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 04:33:36 PM »
Glad it's OK now. I had more text but each time I opened and read it it was getting cut-off mid-sentence. I have cut out the text that was having problems. Oh well, I shall see how subsequent posts go. Perhaps it was an aberration.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 07:53:41 PM »
First, this is a brilliant idea for a layout. 

Second, I had the same problem with text disappearing a couple of days ago when I copied and pasted from Word.  No matter what I did, the text just disappeared,.  In the end, I had to paste piecemeal to get it to work.  So this may be a bug in the forum.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 08:04:49 PM »
First, this is a brilliant idea for a layout. 

Second, I had the same problem with text disappearing a couple of days ago when I copied and pasted from Word.  No matter what I did, the text just disappeared,.  In the end, I had to paste piecemeal to get it to work.  So this may be a bug in the forum.

Thanks Laurence for both comments. Glad you like the plan. I didn't have the text problem with the first post but I did with the second. The only difference I can think of was the images in the first post were screenshots from Google Earth and the image in the second post was one that had been taken on my phone and uploaded to my laptop. Whether or not this makes any difference I do not know. However, I will see what happens in subsequent posts.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 08:29:47 PM »
Perhaps it was an aberration.

Not sure about Cornwall but isn't Aberration in Wales? :confused2:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 08:33:52 PM »
Perhaps it was an aberration.

Not sure about Cornwall but isn't Aberration in Wales? :confused2:

It could be an excellent fun name for a layout. Possibly one themed to the LNWR? :P

Offline crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 08:37:03 PM »

Perhaps it was an aberration. of a name

Not sure about Cornwall but isn't Aberration in Wales? no its in the english language

It could be an excellent fun name for a layout. Possibly one themed to the LNWR?  abermaen sounds more like a good name

Perhaps it was an aberration. of a name

Not sure about Cornwall but isn't Aberration in Wales? no its in the english language

It could be an excellent fun name for a layout. Possibly one themed to the LNWR?  abermaen sounds more like a good name

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 07:13:47 AM »
Great theme.  :beers:

Good luck with the build. Look forward to following progress.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 08:14:03 AM »
Hi Chris,

Great idea and looking forward to your build and seeing all your different rolling stock.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 09:10:24 AM »
As it is Cornish I’ll be following this with interest.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 09:33:23 AM »
Thanks all for the interest and encouragement. I have completed 2 of my support legs and hope to get the remaining 2 done today. I expect to receive my castors through the post today or tomorrow. If all goes to plan I should be ready to start baseboards in the coming week or so.

Track planning, for me, is very much a case of laying the actual track (of which I have a decent amount from years of gathering) on my living room floor to try out and measure various configurations. None of these new-fangled software packages for me!

Once I get me some appropriate pens I will produce a track plan so you can all get the general idea.

Stand by, stand by...………………...

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal