!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)  (Read 8703 times)

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2019, 08:16:43 AM »

This is the fruits of my recent labours. Finished yesterday, I have integrated 3 removable shelves into my layout frame to tidy/organize the place.

I also built the box which lurks on the floor under the left-most shelf. It actually contains the chassis for an electric 5 inch gauge loco which, one day I will build a body for.

Obviously, it won't be making an appearance on the layout as it might not fit alongside my platforms!  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2019, 09:47:46 AM »
Great thread Chris and great progress - very neat carpentry skills on display  :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing how this layout develops

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2019, 05:30:26 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
  Many thanks Chris, very interesting locos & stock, nice woodworking too, all looking good.  :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2019, 06:02:11 PM »
 :thankyousign:

After a short Mentorship Update meeting today at work I put some finishing touches - a couple of hinges and a magnetic catch - on my 5" gauge loco's storage box.

I have now taped a number of sheets of A4 paper together so I can doodle curve radii and point location for the left side of the plan. The turning-triangle has caused much head scratching (and subsequent removal of wood splinters from under my fingernails) but I am getting there! It's amazing how track geometry can take such working out - how placing track components will influence where other things can/cannot then go.

If I had a barn or an old aircraft hangar at my disposal I am sure this would all be so much easier - a lot more room! Then again, it may be just as bad or, even, worse.

Tally-ho!
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2019, 01:41:16 PM »

Evidence that I am, actually, building a layout rather than just building storage units! This is my version of SCARM (or whatever).

The idea is to plan the shape of the baseboard where the turning-triangle will be so the triangle is all contained on one board with track crossing joins at 90 degrees or as close as possible. The carriage is sitting on the top chord of the triangle. It is all fitting together pretty well and I am happy with the way the plan is translating into reality so far.

It appears the minimum radius for the layout will be the equivalent of Peco 3rd radius which delights my simple mind more than just a bit. I should, therefore, be able to run any loco that I should happen to acquire without problems.

I have just come back from my nearby B&Q with the first 2 sheets of 6mm 4 ft x 2 ft MDF to cut to size.

Progress, progress, progress. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 01:44:00 PM by chrispearce »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2019, 03:57:35 PM »
Thatís my method of track planning.  :D

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2019, 04:04:22 PM »

But it works!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2019, 04:42:50 PM »

But it works!
Certainly does. I like to be able to perceive the scenery on my layouts before track is laid and I find that impossible with track planning software.
Laying the track out loosely on a baseboard gives me the scope to imagine how things will look.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2019, 04:47:42 PM »

But it works!
Certainly does. I like to be able to perceive the scenery on my layouts before track is laid and I find that impossible with track planning software.
Laying the track out loosely on a baseboard gives me the scope to imagine how things will look.

I absolutely agree, Martin. I also like being able to place stock on the track to see how it will look when negotiating a curve such as the carriage in my pic. I think it looks fine so I know the 3rd radius curve will function and look alright when built. Not sure if you can do that with software. Anyway I will be building with real track so I may as well plan with it!

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2019, 06:11:39 PM »

Mine too!  I ended up with an additional siding that didn't work in theory.

But worked in practice when I laid out the Setrack!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2019, 07:04:52 PM »

Well, this is the left hand board cut. The odd shape in the bottom left is where the turning-triangle's board will interface. The board will be supported by strip wood framework underneath and a separate track bed will be raised an inch or so above this. The board in the picture will form the bottom level of scenery ie. the bottom of the lake.

Due to 3 night shifts starting tomorrow there will be a break in construction for a few days. Then, due a week of leave I will plough on! :laugh:

P.S. At the very bottom of the pic are my toes/socks. I formally apologise for the hole in the right-hand sock. :-[
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:06:50 PM by chrispearce »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2019, 08:32:27 AM »

P.S. At the very bottom of the pic are my toes/socks. I formally apologise for the hole in the right-hand sock. :-[

That's one way to nail it ;D

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2019, 08:35:42 AM »

That's one way to nail it ;D

To my mind, this is a sure sign that my thread has been accepted and embraced to the bosom of the NGF community.

I am beginning to have my own collection of awful jokes and puns.

Bring it on!!!! :smiley-laughing:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2019, 09:18:09 AM »
Nice sock. Sure sign of being a bit heavy on the car's accelerator  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2019, 09:29:07 AM »
Nice sock. Sure sign of being a bit heavy on the car's accelerator  ;)

I drive like a Fighter Pilot. Low 'n' fast, banking 'n' cranking. :D

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal