!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)  (Read 9812 times)

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)
« Reply #180 on: November 28, 2019, 04:58:43 PM »
I agree that the Shay is a very nice model.

If you like the New York Central, then a viewing of the first part of 'North by Northwest' is highly recommended.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: November 28, 2019, 06:00:13 PM »
I will keep an eye out for that film. Thanks John.

I have noticed that I am, predictably, collecting not only locos from Bemo, Bachmann and Atlas but 2 different types of couplings. Even Bachmann uses both! There is the ELC-type coupling with which we are all so familiar and another one which I cannot for the life of me remember the name of but looks like a buckeye with a curved metal projection underneath. The pic of the model Shay shows the latter.

These latter couplings are expensive (almost 10.00 a pair) whereas the ELC type cost about the same for 20 pairs! I have decided to make the ELC type the standard on the MQR simply for cost considerations.

Now here is where I need to tap the knowledge of other members. Am I right in thinking that it's down to something called a standard NEM coupling attachment and I simply unplug one type of coupler and plug in the replacement? I see the plastic projections on the rear of the couplings in advertising pics with the little lugs poking out the sides. Just want to check.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2019, 11:36:18 AM »
Just a blip of an update. Having got happy with prancing around the house with a new vacuum cleaner like a veritable domestic goddess (  :goggleeyes: ) yesterday I have just drilled and countersunk a decent number of holes in one of my trackbeds ready for attaching to the frames. There were no screams of anguish from me so I am happy that I can now get back to work on my own layout.

Yip yip! :bounce:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2019, 12:08:18 PM »
Take it steady, Chris.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: December 03, 2019, 01:18:05 PM »
I have noticed that I am, predictably, collecting not only locos from Bemo, Bachmann and Atlas but 2 different types of couplings. Even Bachmann uses both! There is the ELC-type coupling with which we are all so familiar...

The generic name is Rapido, ELC being Peco's variant.

and another one which I cannot for the life of me remember the name of but looks like a buckeye with a curved metal projection underneath. The pic of the model Shay shows the latter.

These will be KayDees (KDs, geddit?)

These latter couplings are expensive (almost 10.00 a pair) whereas the ELC type cost about the same for 20 pairs! I have decided to make the ELC type the standard on the MQR simply for cost considerations.

Now here is where I need to tap the knowledge of other members. Am I right in thinking that it's down to something called a standard NEM coupling attachment and I simply unplug one type of coupler and plug in the replacement? I see the plastic projections on the rear of the couplings in advertising pics with the little lugs poking out the sides. Just want to check.

Possibly... Not all couplings attach to rolling stock using NEM fittings - depends on age of design and policies of maker.

Pragmatic fix is to have one wagon/coach with different couplings at each end!

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:Maridunian's Models

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2019, 02:03:03 PM »
KAYDEES!!!!! Thank you.

I also forgot about Rapido. Thank you again. :thumbsup:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #186 on: December 07, 2019, 10:49:11 AM »

I have had plenty of thinking time of late so I decided to work on the basic plan for Maen Station layout. I originally said that there would be no loco release crossover between the main platforms but then a better idea came along - as they do. From left to right we have:

1) A carriage siding. This will probably become 2 which will, most likely, be covered by a wooden shed to protect stored carriages from the ravages of the Cornish weather.

2) Platform 1 - a bay platform which terminates by the station building. The principle (but not exclusive) use for this bay is for the 3 car DMU shuttle to/from Truro.

3) Platform 2 - a main platform which can receive loco-hauled branch line trains. As the locos will be shorter, there is a loco release crossover.

4) The Centre Road. This allows locos from Platform 2 to run round or escape their trains. The short siding that comes off the bottom will be the refuge for the station pilot.

5) Platform 3 - the main platform for receiving trains that have longer locos which will be too long for the head-shunt in platform 2. Station pilot-release will be used here as I will explain in a moment.

To the right of this plan will be the MPD for tender locos. Inside the triangle you will see an arrow pointing to a 2nd MPD which will serve tank locos as they do not need to turn on the triangle.

The operating plan for this station is that when a train arrives in Platform 3 the pilot will move from its refuge to the right chord of the triangle, attach itself to the rear carriage and pull the train along the right chord. The train loco will reverse up the left chord until it clears the top point, then move forwards along the top chord then stop. The pilot will then propel the train into Platform 3, uncouple and return to its centre road refuge. The train loco will then clear the top right hand point of the triangle and, now turned round, can either reverse onto the train for another journey or reverse into the main MPD.

This scheme makes far more logical sense to my mind and gives greater flexibility. The MPDs will be finalized when I have a more accurate idea of the space available but I have some ideas. It's a case of trying to fit a Diesel stabling point, steam shed with enough space to house the steamers and Coal/Water/Ash facilities into a sensible plan.

I have been a bit busy of late but have managed to screw down another section of track bed this morning. My goal is to complete this process on the 4 foot board today which, to be honest, is not a major task. I will post some pics in due course.

Seasons greetings to all! :thumbsup:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2019, 06:50:48 PM »

Well, I have achieved my goal for this afternoon. Track-beds attached with the gap at the bottom left for a short embankment which will contain a culvert for the upstream end of the, um,  stream which actually runs through the prototype location. A similar arrangement, albeit slightly lower (obviously), will exist at the other end of the layout.

The lampshade in this room is one of those 'stringy sphere' things which is why the wood looks rather grainier and grander than the MDF it really is.  :'(

Didn't want anyone to think that I am so well-off that I am using seasoned oak or anything.

Now to do the left-hand 3 foot board, then fettling, then track-laying looms on the fast-approaching horizon. :thumbsup:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: December 08, 2019, 10:14:57 AM »

I do intend, however, that when I next visit Cornwall, I will stick my pack on my back and visit all of these places in person. A brace of good pics will help enormously. A visit to Constantine sounds like a great way to spend some time and, if I take Martin's (PP) advice and wander into the back room of the village store...................

I don't know why, but I had a sudden memory of Mr Benn when I read this  :)

Just caught up with all the comings and goings (and climaxes) of the MQR ... great progress so far Chris, and glad to hear you are back on the mend post op

I am sure that there can be an interchange of biomass (weave.... don't say it!) between Perthshire & MQR :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 06:15:27 AM by Milton Rail, Reason: tpyo »
Thanks for looking - Andrew

My attempt at a box layout - Bogindollo

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50114.msg652980#new

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #189 on: December 09, 2019, 09:17:33 PM »
And, as if by magic (see above), I have managed to attach some trackbeds on my 3 foot board today. Family gatherings-of-the-clans yesterday and an urgent need to do overdue housework has limited my progress a bit but so far so good. Hopefully, this part of proceedings will be done over the next day or so.

Whilst vacuuming the rug in front of my sofa today I saw a tiny glint of silver. It turned out to be a Peco N Gauge fishplate which had dropped there recently when I was trying out track arrangements on my living room floor. "I'll be needing that soon", I thought. :)

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #190 on: December 11, 2019, 06:48:17 PM »
2 more trackbed sections attached today with the last piece cut to size. I need to cut the foam to fill the void between the support frame then I can glue/screw this last piece on.

My place of work requires my presence tomorrow but I hope this last piece will be in place on Friday.

Seasons greetings to all.  :thumbsup:

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: December 11, 2019, 08:49:02 PM »
 :hellosign:
  Thanks for the latest updates Chris, looking forward to seeing more
  Merry Christmas to you and yours
       regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2019, 03:46:24 PM »

At last, the last piece of trackbed is in place. As with the 4 foot board, the gap is for the stream, this time it will be the downstream end.

I can now trial-fit the 2 boards together. I have used MDF strips to act as interlocks between the boards instead of Pattern-makers dowels as this isn't a layout which will be taken apart very often.

Now to test how well they work!  :worried:

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2019, 04:54:04 PM »
Looking good on the MQR  :beers:
Thanks for looking - Andrew

My attempt at a box layout - Bogindollo

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50114.msg652980#new

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2019, 05:03:33 PM »

This is the 2 boards joined for the very first time. Almost perfect. There is a 2mm gap but I can do some sanding to eliminate this. The levels are perfect which will help hugely with track-alignment across the join.

The difference in width seen on the left-hand side is where the turning-triangle board will interface. This will 'fill the gap' and allow a 90 degree crossing of the track.

Onwards and upwards. Tally-ho. To infinity and beyond etc. etc. etc. :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal