!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)  (Read 7398 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2019, 06:37:24 AM »
Thanks for the interesting exposť.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2019, 07:45:09 AM »
Thanks for the interesting exposť.

My pleasure good sir! We're here to share aren't we?

Now I expect you all to study those pics and revise them.

I will be testing you all later!  :D
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2019, 07:48:33 AM »

PS I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in the last paragraph but just to say, still being a schoolboy at heart, that there are few fnarr fnarrs in there that might be commented upon as, surely, I can't be the only one  ;). It was the Forney and Porter after the Climaxes that got me  :). Sorry. I'll shut up now.

OK weave. I get the fnarr fnarrs now I've read it through again. So if I try a Camelback Forney with a Porter in a Minaret do I end up with a couple of Climaxes? Good Lord!

You dirty little beast! :goggleeyes:

:D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:06:17 AM by chrispearce »
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #168 on: November 24, 2019, 02:45:43 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
  Thanks Chris all very interesting, hope the op goes well
      regards Derek

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: November 24, 2019, 03:34:15 PM »
Hi Chris - was fascinated to encounter a Shay at the BC Forest Discovery Centre in Duncan, British Columbia this summer. Never seen anything quite like it!

More info on Wikipedia

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #170 on: November 24, 2019, 05:14:47 PM »
Thanks @maridunian. They are rather unconventional. Suited to low-speed high-traction running up impossible grades and round equally impossible corners. Thankfully Atlas have done all the hard work for me! Interesting and useful pics.  :thumbsup:

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2019, 12:02:29 AM »
Although nothing to do with the purpose of this forum, I thought that as people had so kindly wished me all the best for my op, I can gladly report that I am now convalescing at my Sister's house until tomorrow afternoon. All has been grand. This is now the beginning of the up and up and I am looking forward to mending and getting on things - like the MQR!

Just an aside (of an aside) which MIGHT amuse someone and demonstrate my personal philosophy that "half a joke is better than no joke at all" I share this event from this morning.

I was seen very swiftly by an array of staff to check me in etc. They all asked me the same questions - name, date-of-birth, any allergies etc. The usual. Anyway, during the last staff member's questions, another nurse came into the assessment room and said," He needs to go to theatre now, they are really desperate to start".

I replied," Oh so it's an all-female surgical team then?".

They shook their heads in what looked like pity.

Seems fair enough to me.  :(

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2019, 10:47:46 AM »
As a tonic to my bruised and tender soul I have just heard that my Shay is (poetically) on its way. I bought it from a Harrow-based company called N Scale American Trains and have to say I am already impressed with the service. I originally ordered a painted but unlettered version but received an email saying that during testing the loco was running fine in reverse but stuttered a lot when going forwards. Would I like the shop owner to continue running it in to see if that resolved the issue or would I like to choose a different version? I chose the latter and an 'East Side Logging' Shay is (again, poetically) on its way.

Perhaps this kind of thing is usual but I thought I share. Nice and considerate chap, I thought.  :thumbsup:

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2019, 11:06:37 AM »
Always nice to hear of good service.  :thumbsup: I'm sorry Chris, I did not realise your soul had been operated on. Hope the recovery is going well   :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 11:08:26 AM by dannyboy »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2019, 04:27:52 PM »
I bought it from a Harrow-based company called N Scale American Trains and have to say I am already impressed with the service.
Perhaps this kind of thing is usual but I thought I share. Nice and considerate chap, I thought.  :thumbsup:

I used this shop - Tony is the chap's name as I recall - a lot when modelling US 'N' scale a few years ago.  Very good service.  He used to run the 'N' scale part of a big US outline dealer in Slough.  It appeared to decide to go 'H0' only and he started up in Harrow.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2019, 04:54:01 PM »
Hopefully your recovery proceeds perfectly well Chris.
Iím looking forward to further progress on MQR.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2019, 08:35:34 PM »
I bought it from a Harrow-based company called N Scale American Trains and have to say I am already impressed with the service.

I used this shop - Tony is the chap's name as I recall - a lot when modelling US 'N' scale a few years ago.  Very good service.  He used to run the 'N' scale part of a big US outline dealer in Slough.  It appeared to decide to go 'H0' only and he started up in Harrow.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Best wishes.

John

Yes, the shop in Slough. Its name escapes me but I did look on the website to see what it had and, indeed, it seemed to be all HO!

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :veryangry:

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2019, 09:42:10 PM »
Model Junction?

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: November 27, 2019, 10:08:30 PM »
Yes; that's it.  Thank you.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #179 on: November 28, 2019, 04:48:10 PM »

My Shay arrived today. Mine has a very slightly different paint job and has 'East Side Logging' on the bunker but the basic model is identical. I really love this little loco.

Funny isn't it but if one buys a tank engine in N Gauge one can open the box and think just how small it is. I look forward to getting on and providing my growing fleet with a 'playground'. At least I can walk normally now but bending and moving is unpleasant so I shall have to stick with building the New York Central on my laptop for the time being. :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal