!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)  (Read 7270 times)

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: THE MAEN QUARRY RAILWAY (CORNWALL)
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2019, 08:23:10 PM »
Hi Chris,

Sort stuff out Monday, bit of work Tuesday and then Wednesday and Thursday to carry on with the railway. Sounds fantastic. You should start a political party, I'll tick YES  :D.

Seriously, it's good to get things done and get the mojo back or you get stuck in a rut and can't be bothered. Got my act together as well today so I've been gluing, cutting and spray painting. Good thing is you have to wait for things to set and dry so now writing and drinking  ;).

Looking forward to your progress and pics.

Cheers weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 08:25:11 PM by weave »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2019, 09:06:26 PM »
Hi Chris,

Sort stuff out Monday, bit of work Tuesday and then Wednesday and Thursday to carry on with the railway. Sounds fantastic. You should start a political party, I'll tick YES  :D.

Seriously, it's good to get things done and get the mojo back or you get stuck in a rut and can't be bothered. Got my act together as well today so I've been gluing, cutting and spray painting. Good thing is you have to wait for things to set and dry so now writing and drinking  ;).

Looking forward to your progress and pics.

It's the good thing about working 12 1/2 hour shifts. 3 a week and I'm done! Plenty of time for overtime or project development as the spirit moves. Next Tuesday is my Hernia-repair op so I will be home on Wednesday then the rest of the week off to heal. I hope track-laying will be done during next week as a gentle and light-weight task. I ordered a new Razor-saw today in anticipation of this.  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2019, 09:12:24 AM »
Chris

I hope the operation goes well and you have a swift and pain free recovery.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2019, 09:16:11 AM »
Chris

I hope the operation goes well and you have a swift and pain free recovery.

Best wishes.

John

Many thanks. It is only an inguinal hernia that I've had since the start of July but I live on 12 hourly Tramadol and it is a bit limiting. 'Tis a simple op so recovery should, indeed, be swift. Being a Nurse does give me the edge on how best to manage it all.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2019, 11:21:27 AM »
I do hope your op goes well Chris.
Take care afterwards and donít rush about. Although as a nurse you know all that stuff.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2019, 02:48:15 PM »
I do hope your op goes well Chris.
Take care afterwards and donít rush about. Although as a nurse you know all that stuff.
Hear, hear!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2019, 03:03:17 PM »
I hope the op' goes well for you Chris and recovery is quick and pain free (ish!). And don't forget, do as you are told ............by the Nurse.  :hmmm:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2019, 03:40:57 PM »
Very kind of you all. Thank you. Best thing is to take adequate pain relief and move/exercise gently within your own pain tolerance. This will stop damaged muscles etc. from locking up and being difficult to move. It goes for everything really, sprained ankles, hip/knee op, virtually all sporting/back injuries. The days of lying moribund on the sofa or in bed are history these days. Obviously monitor for any signs of infection and be gentle with oneself.

That's it really. A digression from the point of this forum but I thought it was well worth sharing as things befall us all. Especially in the perilous realms of layout-building!

Thanks once again for your kind comments. :thumbsup:

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2019, 03:46:03 PM »
The days of lying moribund on the sofa or in bed are history these days.

Do not tell SWMBO!  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2019, 04:14:31 PM »
The days of lying moribund on the sofa or in bed are history these days.

Do not tell SWMBO!  ;)

The advantages of being single and monastic - no SWMBO!  ;)

This is also good because my 4 coal hoppers just arrived. No awkward explaining to do. No extra chores. No nothing. Just grins from me.  :D

I do like my new Ford Ka Active.  8)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 04:16:52 PM by chrispearce »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2019, 04:51:29 PM »

It's the good thing about working 12 1/2 hour shifts. 3 a week and I'm done! Plenty of time for overtime or project development as the spirit moves. Next Tuesday is my Hernia-repair op so I will be home on Wednesday then the rest of the week off to heal.........I ordered a new Razor-saw today in anticipation of this.  :thumbsup:

Sorry Chris, couldnít resist doctoring your quote a little.
Iíd advise against operating on yourself  :D

Sorry....Iíll get my coat now.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2019, 05:25:56 PM »

It's the good thing about working 12 1/2 hour shifts. 3 a week and I'm done! Plenty of time for overtime or project development as the spirit moves. Next Tuesday is my Hernia-repair op so I will be home on Wednesday then the rest of the week off to heal.........I ordered a new Razor-saw today in anticipation of this.  :thumbsup:

Sorry Chris, couldnít resist doctoring your quote a little.
Iíd advise against operating on yourself  :D

Sorry....Iíll get my coat now.

Martin

Very clever Martin. Very clever.

To take the concept a bit further - I guess I left myself wide open for that one.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #162 on: November 23, 2019, 08:09:46 PM »

Slow progress at present, but I have started filling the spaces between the stripwood which supports the trackbed with upholsterers' foam. I have also glued and screwed the first corner piece (bottom left) and am pleased with the result. I am hoping that the foam will reduce excess noise from running trains. Whether or not this is a success I have yet to find out. The 'knock' test has, so far, shown positive results - I knocked on the MDF over the foam and again over MDF which had no foam beneath and there was a noticeable muffling effect.

I have also managed to track down what has, so far, been an elusive Atlas Shay Logging loco and have placed an order. Hopefully that will arrive soon. A pic will follow in due course. My loco policy is to acquire, ASAP,  a list of particular types. The hit-list has included all the ones I have managed to find/buy so far and all that remains is an F7 in ATSF Red Warbonnet livery, An RS1 and an old time 4-4-0. I have located a source for the first 2 and will keep an eye out for the last one.

I intend to scratch-build bodies for RTR chassis but these will be mostly logging-style tank engines. I have schemes for a couple of Climaxes using Kato chassis and, hopefully, a Minaret saddle tank. I would love to achieve a Forney and, perhaps, a Porter but I will have to see. Then there is a plan for a 4-6-0 Camelback but let's get some progress on the actual layout first!

Hoping all are well.  :thumbsup:

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #163 on: November 23, 2019, 10:02:50 PM »
Hi Chris,

Looking good. The best progress is always slow, I've rushed and regretted many a time.

PS I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in the last paragraph but just to say, still being a schoolboy at heart, that there are few fnarr fnarrs in there that might be commented upon as, surely, I can't be the only one  ;). It was the Forney and Porter after the Climaxes that got me  :). Sorry. I'll shut up now.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #164 on: November 24, 2019, 03:06:41 AM »
OK weave. I hear you. Allow me to explain:

This is a Shay. Typical US logging loco. Note the small wheels all of which are powered through the horizontal articulated drive-shaft running down the side. This shaft was driven by the rack of vertical pistons near the cab. This rack of pistons required the boiler to be offset to the left.

Atlas' N Gauge rendering. The prototype pic at the top is of a '3 Truck' Shay - note the 'tender' behind the loco the wheels of which are also linked by the drive shaft.

This is a Climax. Another typical US logging Loco. The main difference is the drive mechanism. The boiler is central as the drive mechanism is 2 pistons mounted 1 each side of the boiler but at about 45 degrees. A centrally-located drive shaft transmits power to the front and rear bogies. The simplicity of this mechanism lends the models well to being built on a Kato chassis due to the lack of that awfully complicated Shay drive shaft.

Climaxes came in various guises. Some looked like sheds with a wooden (or sometimes metal) shroud:

This wooden-bodied example is typical of the other type of Climax I would like. Probably it will be built first as it is less fiddly due to the bodywork.

The 3rd type of US Logging loco was the Heisler. The difference again, being the drive mech. The notable difference being that the wheels in each bogey were joined by external connecting rods.

This is a Minaret as manufactured by ALCO:

Albeit a model, I think it conveys the chunky saddle-tank look well. Some suitable 2-8-2 chassis will be needed.

A Forney. Back in the days when railways were young, such locos would be found pulling suburban passenger trains even in such metropoli as NYC!

This is Porter. cute little saddle tank. Again, a model but the best pic I could find.

Finally, an example of a Camelback, so-called because the cab is on top of the boiler. This gave great views for the driver but did put him at risk in the event of a boiler failure. This is why they were, ultimately, banned. The fireman had to put up with a tiny shelter at the rear of the boiler. Once, these were common and various wheel-arrangements were to be found.

An interesting list of potential projects. I have a Kato B-B chassis in stock which will form the basis of my first Climax. There is a kit available from the US but it is expensive and being a model of the wooden-shed variety, lends itself well to a scratchbuild. I have built bodies for N Gauge locos out of brass before and found it a lot of fun. Perhaps I may even take of pic of my GCR C13 4-4-2T which I built at the turn-of-the-millennium. Maybe  ;)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal