!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Duncragg - 80s Diesels in Scotland / North East England BLT  (Read 286 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28030
    • Instagram
    • Awards
Duncragg - 80s Diesels in Scotland / North East England BLT
« on: January 25, 2020, 09:46:37 AM »
Duncragg is based somewhere in in the lower West Highlands.

I wanted to choose an area that could double up as the West Highland and north Northumberland as far as backscene/scenery goes.  This is to allow me to run either 80ís WH diesels or disels/units typically seen in the North East of England in the late 80/early 90s. This goes back to my childhood, raised in Durham, spent a lot of my youth on holidays in Northumberland and the West Highlands, especially around the Dalmally/Loch Awe area.

For the layout I wanted to keep things small and simple to allow me to get back into modelling properly and finish a layout. Finishing a layout is something I have never actually managed to do!

Layout size is 4ft x 1ft scenic with a 3ft storage section, built on re-used Tim Horn baseboards.
Control is standard DC.
Peco point motors will be used along with the switch to control the polarity, controlled by push buttons via a CDU.
Track is Code 55 with medium radius Unifrog points.

Progress will be steady as family commitments and travelling for work can get in the way. 

Hereís the start.

Offline Rockhopper

• Instagram
    • Awards
Re: Duncragg - 80s Diesels in Scotland / North East England BLT
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 09:54:20 AM »
Backscene and LED light strip added.

Buffer stops painted, weather and fitted.

The whole track area has been sprayed with Railmatch sleep grime and tracksides (in some areas) painted with a light rust wash.

The light strip is 3 1/2 ft so fits quite nice.  It was from ebay and cost £15 and is meant for under kitchen cabinets. Gives off a good light, especially as the layout is in the garage. The work desk lights were ok for working but when I wanted to take pics of the layout itself were not that good.

Next is the sort out the platform and then get some ballasting done. Work travel for the next couple of weeks will see a short break though.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 09:57:28 AM »
That looks terrific.  I saw a lot of 'eighties diesels in Scotland, including on what was left of the C&O.  A group of us used to spend a fair bit of time at a cottage beside the line.

The track layout rather reminds me of Dornoch.

And... welcome to the Forum.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Rockhopper

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 10:15:59 AM »
That looks terrific.  I saw a lot of 'eighties diesels in Scotland, including on what was left of the C&O.  A group of us used to spend a fair bit of time at a cottage beside the line.

The track layout rather reminds me of Dornoch.

And... welcome to the Forum.

Best wishes.

John

Thanks. I've been lurking for a while, but better thought I should contribute also  :)

We use to stay regularly in cottage on the north east shore of Loch Awe.
I'll always remember when I was young staying in a B&B near Dalmally and hearing 37s roaring in the distance, echoing around the hills. That time it was a stop off for a trip further north to Fort William.

Even though it's a through station, I took inspiration from Taynuilt for the trackplan. I remember stopping off there a few times as a kid also,  Still spent a lot of time on Flickr looking at stations in that area though, as well as reading through the two Ian Futers' books.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/85954524@N02/43376799165

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jbg06003/40522429933

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 12:08:41 PM »
welcome to the forum and layout looking good!

tim

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 12:33:34 PM »
80s diesels in Scotland - can't go wrong.  As a teenager I did Inverness-Kyle (class 26) and Glasgow-Oban (class 37) in the school holidays.  The Oban trip was part of an epic journey from Lincoln, via Leeds and the S&C on the way out (40 122 / D200 in green Leeds-Carlisle), back on an overnight train via Crewe in a carriage full of drunken Glaswegian soldiers. Crewe - Lincoln in a Class 120 DMU as the sun came up. Happy days.

Richard

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 02:06:34 PM »
Looking good so far. Can I suggest you find a way to disguise the 90 degree corners at each end - maybe some largish trees or the like?

Offline Rockhopper

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 02:49:01 PM »
Looking good so far. Can I suggest you find a way to disguise the 90 degree corners at each end - maybe some largish trees or the like?

Thanks.  Yes, I'll have to try and disguise them. I plan to have plenty trees on the layout, so it should hopefully work in disguising the corners.

The initial plan had been to curve them round, but I made a bit of a mess when doing it (trying to use the self adhesive along with a foam board backing)  :( so I had to revert to the way it is now.  Lesson learnt for the future  :)

Offline Rockhopper

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 02:55:15 PM »
80s diesels in Scotland - can't go wrong.  As a teenager I did Inverness-Kyle (class 26) and Glasgow-Oban (class 37) in the school holidays.  The Oban trip was part of an epic journey from Lincoln, via Leeds and the S&C on the way out (40 122 / D200 in green Leeds-Carlisle), back on an overnight train via Crewe in a carriage full of drunken Glaswegian soldiers. Crewe - Lincoln in a Class 120 DMU as the sun came up. Happy days.

Richard

That reminded me, I have a picture of D200/ 40122 sitting at Carlisle in 1987.

Not a great quality pic though.

Offline Rockhopper

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 03:28:37 PM »
Quick stop off on the way back from the Stafford show to pick up some 9mm ply for the platform.

Managed to get it cut and edging on to see what it looks like.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal