!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Peco Set track insulfrog and DCC  (Read 186 times)

Offline Justin

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Peco Set track insulfrog and DCC
« on: October 06, 2019, 02:02:04 PM »
Hi
Does anyone know if using insulfrog points will prevent me from having DCC multiple trains with their SOUND running and LIGHTS on ? I have been informed that I may have problems so just want to be sure before I change my plans
Many thanks
Justin

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Peco Set track insulfrog and DCC
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 02:07:25 PM »
Insulfrog points won't prevent you running DCC sound.  Just as with any DCC layout you'll still need to make sure sidings and loops etc. are wired to remain live when you have a loco stopped on such trackwork and the points are set against it, otherwise the sound and lights will simply cut-out when the points are against the track, and the loco will probably go through its "start-up" sounds when power is restored.

Insulfrog points naturally have a short dead-section. As long as your loco has a reasonable wheelbase and good pickups throughout then that shouldn't be a problem. Short wheelbase locos such as shunters may suffer (which is why live frog pointwork is always considered a better option).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 02:10:24 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Justin

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 02:30:17 PM »
Thank you, so putting for example an class 08 through insulfrog points could be a problem, is there anyway to mitigate against this? and why would it sometimes be a problem and other times not ie intermittent?   Also could the shunter trip into its sound start up when stopping at the points dead section or would that only be if power is entirely lost as you mentioned previously ?
Justin

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 02:46:03 PM »
The 08 has a shorter wheelbase than something like a Jinty or Pannier Tank loco so you could argue it is more likely than those to stall on the dead spot on an insulfrog point.  In theory the other wheels should still be picking up power, so it tends to be a combination of factors of low speed, dirty track, dirty wheels, bad pickup wipers, or bowed points which sets up the possibilities of a stall. 

The good the thing is that the Setrack points have the shortest dead frog of the Peco insulfrog designs. I have used them in my fiddleyard purely as a space-saving design, but for all my visible/scenic trackwork on my exhibition layout where there may be slow shunting moves I always use live frog points.  That was well over 20 years ago and the Setrack points still work ok, but I mostly run long wheelbase diesels and electrics so they're unlikely to trip up on short dead sections.  The next fiddleyard I build, I will go for live frogs there as well.

I would say that whether the shunter might trip its startup sounds on a slight stutter depends on how bad/long the power loss is, the design of the decoder and whether it has a "stay-alive" capacitor.

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned is if you want to ensure the best reliable running use live frog points.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Justin

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 02:58:17 PM »
 :thankyousign:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP