!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: You're from Norfolk aren't you!  (Read 419 times)

Offline MichaelW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28359
    • Awards
You're from Norfolk aren't you!
« on: September 20, 2019, 04:57:27 PM »
Which is how I was greeted when I moved to rural Suffolk, actually it's worse than that as I was born in Kings Lynn.

But let bygones be bygones. I've moved out of oo into N because for one thing there's just too much rtr in oo and it's not satisfying for me when commercial stuff is way better than anything I can build but I want the challenge and experience of building my own.

And also because I like the extra space of N and the ability to model a landscape rather than just a railway line that comes with that; I'm really into the train in it's setting thing.

back to where I was born, I'm East Anglian and so wanted a mid Anglia line somewhere in the Bury St E/ Newmarket kind of area. But I wanted to have container trains (a family joke but it's true I love containers) along with anything that took my fancy. Then I hit upon the obvious- a preserved railway! So it's kind of Fordham to Mildenhall with the Mildenhall section preserved and containers on the main line and Fordham June is now Fordham Parkway with a shuttle to Cambridge.

Well, it will be one day! Serious work is scheduled to start in about 6 months when I retire, so for now it's collected items for building and use. building being a key word as I want lots of kit built rolling stock and buildings!

Yep, I'm NfN - Normal for Norfolk.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Re: You're from Norfolk aren't you!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 05:14:43 PM »
Welcome aboard.
I think that you have made a great choice in choosing N Gauge. It offers enormous scope for scenic modelling.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 05:20:27 PM »
Best of luck with your retirement and future modelling! I retired a year ago, and much of my spare (!) time has been doing modelling for James St.

One reason I chose N after modelling in 4mm for many years was to be able to see a loco and 10 coaches or 30 wagons go by; just not possible in 4mm in the space I had available.

As a fellow East Anglian (just-Essex/Suffolk border) I like your thinking for your proposed model; I also model Saneham Tey, which is based on Marks Tey, with the Sudbury platform also modelled, an we do run container trains when we use Stuart's/grid 078s stock. We haven't yet run the Sudbury branch as a preserved line, but it was one of the reasons we chose to model Marks Tey.

I won't say what I have heard Suffolk people also say about Norfolk people-its libellous  :D

Martyn
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 05:21:58 PM by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 05:53:23 PM »
Hi Michael :wave: and welcome aboard! :wave:
We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland, UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 06:50:59 PM »
 :D  Welcome to the forum.  I could tell you were from Norfolk from the way you'd typed your letters!  ;)  Enjoy!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 07:05:20 PM »
Welcome aboard.

That sounds a great plan for a layout.

Best wishes

John

PS I love Norfolk (and Suffolk)!
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 08:06:20 PM »
 :welcomesign:   On this friendly Forum you will find  members who are real experts in all fields of the hobby .
I like the idea of trains running through the scenery and have now decided my whole layout is a preserved Railway with some mainline trains being diverted on to it because of engineering work on the main line and with a branchline as well .I do have a vivid imagination and Im a rule one man .so I can run whatever I like ,
 We are a  nosy lot so keep us posted on what you are doing on this main Forum or on the Facebook page .
Bob Tidbury

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 09:44:41 PM »
Hi Michael, and welcome to the forum :wave:
When I moved to Lancashire so many folks asked me if I was from London. When I said no and asked why the question, I was just told it's obvious I'm not from Lancashire.
Ergo, there are just 2 places in this country for some folks - Lancashire and London ::)

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 10:53:18 PM »
G'day from Australia, Michael, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

When I moved here from Durham, nobody asked me where I was from. When they heard my accent, they knew straight away....

"You're a Pom, aren't you."  ;)

Welcome!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 08:58:13 AM »
Kings Lynn.... KINGS LYNN!!!!!.  You're almost a Lincolnshire yellow belly.!!!.

I'll be passing KL Next Saturday almost exactly at this time, to Drive up the dreaded A17...
Welcome from. Coastal Norfolk half way ish between Cromer and GY.

When I was choosing an area for my home layout the two losing entries were the proposed, started, but unbuilt line from Mundesley to GY and..
A preserved railway,  though it would have been based on the SRPS at Bo'ness.

There is a lot of useful info on this site and helpful people..

3years till retirement,  then work on the home layout will really progress.

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 11:49:14 AM »

back to where I was born, I'm East Anglian and so wanted a mid Anglia line somewhere in the Bury St E/ Newmarket kind of area. But I wanted to have container trains (a family joke but it's true I love containers) along with anything that took my fancy. Then I hit upon the obvious- a preserved railway! So it's kind of Fordham to Mildenhall with the Mildenhall section preserved and containers on the main line and Fordham June is now Fordham Parkway with a shuttle to Cambridge.

And welcome from another East Anglian exile (Cambridge/Newmarket area, to be exact). I think Fordham is an excellent prototype for a layout. I seriously considered it myself but eventually decided on a fictitious location with the ambience of the Cambridge-Mildenhall.

You might find this book useful https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9780905457024/Rail-Mildenhall-Story-Cambridge-Railway-0905457021/plp.

Happy modelling!

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 01:07:53 PM »

.......... have now decided my whole layout is a preserved Railway with some mainline trains being diverted on to it because of engineering work on the main...........

Great idea Bob!

Welcome to NGF Michael, as you can see there are plenty of like minded people on here!

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 09:24:59 AM »
Welcome Michael.  I lived close to Fordham for a few years, used to walk the dogs along the lane across the level crossing just north of the old station.  and also along bits of the old Mildenhall branch.  I think your layout idea is great, and I agree about being able to set the trains in a landscape.  I look forward to seeing this one develop. 

I'm at the Bury St Edmunds show next Saturday with my current layout "Longframlington", so come and say hello if you are at the show.

Richard

Offline twinklekev

• N Gauge Society Number: 9777
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 04:43:13 PM »
Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Lots of friendly, helpful people here so don't be afraid to ask. I'm from the other end of Suffolk, just down the road from GY.

Cheers,

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 08:37:11 AM »
Hi Michael and welcome to the forum. When I moved to Ireland over 20 years ago, people heard me speak and asked if I was from Lancashire! I mean, fancy saying that to a Yorkshire man  :goggleeyes:.  I retired 9 months ago and what I find the best thing about retirement is the 'freedom' I now have - love it.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here