!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Palmetto 'N'orth Spur  (Read 245 times)

Offline slow8dirty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28130
    • Awards
Palmetto 'N'orth Spur
« on: September 16, 2019, 10:57:53 PM »

Evening all, I have a confession, in the last 15 years(less a 3 year hiatus) I have not finished one layout, not one. :-[ Started a few, come up with some good ideas, almost finished at least one but then sold it on. So after returning to the hobby last year, the above plan is one part of my two pronged attack on this somewhat embarrassing failure.

Its unashamedly a carbon copy of the HO plan in the Lance Mindheim book "How to Build a Switching Layout", and also heavily influenced by the Palmetto layout built from the same by a UK modeller(search you tube for it if you don't know it, worth watching). I've been really taken by the American switching genre since coming back to things and love the whole concept, also shortlines. (Is this becoming the US version of the Branch Line Terminus?)
Not worried about it being unoriginal, the plan is presented in the book as a sort of learning worked example, and this is really a proof of concept for me in N scale. The setting will be modern/recent CSX spur somewhere in Florida as the only American train I have seen in the flesh was a CSX freight down that way 10 yrs ago! I will use Peco code 55 for this project, if it works out I will look to use something more prototypical on the next project.
The overall plan should take up to a year to be complete scenically, at least that is how I've budgeted for it both in time and funds, you could easily do this in a fraction of the time( I've debated this), but I also want to make some progress on my OO layout. Nevertheless my lone CSX Geep should have a home soon.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+83)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Palmetto 'N'orth Spur
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 09:40:03 AM »
Looks good to me. I'm quite sure every permutation of track plan has been done at some point so I wouldn't worry in the slightest about originality. Besides, imitation is the sincerest form of saying it's too good to pass up :D

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 10:20:46 AM »
Wot he said.

Welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline slow8dirty

• N Gauge Society Number: 28130
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 10:21:34 PM »
We're off!

"The board's were constructed in the usual manner"

I considered using the foamboard route but decided against it, as this is a first attempt for a while and as located in the garage I wanted to go for tried and tested.
No more woodwork for a week or so as also built a wendy house for the youngest over the weekend and tried to saw a finger off  :dunce: It's not terrible, biggest tragedy is I can't play guitar for a week or so(depends who in my house you ask actually!)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 07:33:42 AM by slow8dirty »

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 05:17:53 AM »
Hi,

I don't model American but I do like the idea of them so looking forward to your build. Hope the finger gets better soon, it'll need a rest before you hit it with a track pin hammer  :D.

Seriously, welcome and have fun.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here