!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New boy confused as to the next step.  (Read 342 times)

Offline Eric the Red

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
New boy confused as to the next step.
« on: September 15, 2019, 07:11:52 PM »
Just started with a Graham Farish Northern Freight trainset, to get the feel of N gauge. I seem to have vague recollections of my Triang OO trains in the '60s.
I don't really want to commit to building a display yet. I just want to build up a bigger set (is DCC the way to go?) and get used to wiring/tracking for two or more trains and lines. The more that I read about the technical side of the hobby, the more frightening it gets.
Any suggestions as to my next step, please? :doh: What to buy?
ERIC

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 07:13:15 PM by Eric the Red, Reason: afterthought »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
Re: New boy confused as to the next step.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 07:32:49 PM »
hi eric

welcome. you are in the right place. please feel free to share your thoughts, ideas, questions, read the sub boars. there are many sklls to learn,talented modellers.  mick newport nobby, our global moderator wrote :

A Beginner's Guide to Model Railways - search for this in the search section

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556.msg416493#msg416493

Just started with a Graham Farish Northern Freight trainset, to get the feel of N gauge. I seem to have vague recollections of my Triang OO trains in the '60s.

that set is a good way to start

I don't really want to commit to building a display yet. I just want to build up a bigger set (is DCC the way to go?) i do not have dcc but sure someone will help

and get used to wiring/tracking for two - again someone will help with that

join a club
make friends here on the forum
develop new skills
start basic oval / sidings
make scenery , buildings
add to collection

best site on the planet

choose baseboard carefully
plan ahead either on SCARM or old fashioned paper

good luck

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 07:39:43 PM »
Hello Eric and welcome aboard.

You might find this useful; I know I did.

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556.msg416493#msg416493

The author posts very regularly on the Forum and is a very helpful chap.

As to DC or DCC for a newcomer.  You can easily do either as you don't have lots of existing equipment.

I happen to prefer DC.  Others prefer DCC.  If you like digital-type stuff, DCC is almost certainly to appeal.  It can do amazing things - including sound.

I'm a bit of an enthusiast for an analogue life and I can (just about) understand DC.  I grew up with it and like it.

One thing to, perhaps, think about regarding DCC is when it is suggested that it is a two-wire control system.  In my limited experience, DCC needs a fair bit of wiring in order to ensure continuity of the signal.

Perhaps the best option for you is to play with a couple of layouts DC and DCC and make up your mind.  At the risk of being thrown off the Forum, the scale of the layouts probably doesn't matter that much!

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 07:41:09 PM »
Hi Eric and welcome to the forum.  There are plenty of talented and knowledgeable people on the forum, so when the technical side gets "frightening", ask a question. We all started at the beginning one day.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 07:48:24 PM »
Welcome aboard Eric.
Youll find plenty of very helpful folk on here so you are in the right place.
As for DC or DCC, thats entirely your choice, as others have said.
If you are into electrics and digital stuff then DCC is probably for you.
Im very much in the DC camp but thats just me.
The set you have purchased, is that DC or DCC? Whichever, get it set up and see how you go.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 08:26:51 PM »
Hi Eric :wave: and welcome aboard! :wave:

The more that I read about the technical side of the hobby, the more frightening it gets.

Any suggestions as to my next step, please?

Just, chill. Go at your own pace, no one can be expected to know everything straight away. Enjoy the hobby. :beers:
We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland, UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 08:45:36 PM »
Hi and welcome

Endorse all that has already been said so take your time and be sure that asking a question here will get you at least one answer!

If you are thinking of planning your layout there are 2 (at least again) software packages that can help.

SCARM has already been mentioned. Find more info here: https://www.scarm.info/index.php

AnyRail is the system I use and can be found here: https://www.anyrail.com/en/download

Have fun and keep us posted with what you decide to do.

Dave G

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+88)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 10:45:03 PM »
Hi Eric, and welcome aboard :wave:
Yeah - it can be somewhat intimidating at first but just remember the only daft question is the one you don't ask. This forum can (and will) save you money, time and a lot of of angst.
Prepare to do a lot of reading!!!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 10:59:19 PM »
G'day from Australia, Eric, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

My first port of call would be to decide on which track system I was going to use. Peco Code 80 or 55, Kato, or one of the numerous others.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 01:30:59 AM »
Eric, I started modelling about eighteen months ago and before buying anything I read Making a Start in N GAUGE Railway Modelling by Richard Bardsley. There may be better sources for the beginner, but I was fine with this one. Nevertheless, I've bought a lot more than I'll ever use for my layout, so I'd caution restraint until you've decided on a track plan and then only buy what you need for each stage of construction. I'm still changing my track layout! See the latest iteration at https://photos.app.goo.gl/vxLDLTZiAAwHbKhLA.

I've received (and continue to receive) much help by Forum members, to whom I'm enormously grateful, but in the end, one has to start and learn through trial and error. My layout is DC and the most recent photo I've taken can be seen at https://photos.app.goo.gl/ysQUuVD71EmWcTGq5.
You're among "friends" here, so I endorse the advice of those who've already posted - don't be shy to ask questions!

Leon
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:44:07 AM by Leon, Reason: Additional info »
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 07:04:14 AM »
Since it's not been mentioned yet, @Eric the Red, I'll take a moment to recommend joining the N Gauge Society.

https://www.ngsjoin.com

There are numerous benefits, but the first time you join (21, vs 16 thereafter) you get a big (200+ page) handbook all about N gauge modelling. It includes all sorts of useful information, as well as stuff specific to the NGS such as photos of the kits. You will see that many of us on the NGF are members of the NGS as well, since we often include or NGS numbers in our forum profiles. So don't imagine they do the same thing. This is the best place to get comments on your models, answers to queries, or inspiration on what to do next. The NGS provides a Journal (six times a year) full of reviews, layouts and modelling projects, a shop with exclusive kits (many of which are quite easy to build and include the necessary decals as well), as well as various other less obvious benefits. Within the next few months the NGS will release its much anticipated Hunslet shunter ready-to-run model, for example. This is an exclusive, and while it'll doubtless appear on eBay eventually, if past experience carries forwards, it'll attract a premium way above simply joiningthe NGS!

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 06:39:18 PM »
Its a good idea to go to local Model Railway shows - lists here

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/local

The site also lists local MR clubs - worth visit to see how much local N activity.

You could also consider getting an oval of Kato Unitrack ( often available s/ h at shows) to compare with the Farish offering in terms of ease of use, and ease of wiring .

DCC is a complex subject - perhaps get use to   running trains and seeing different DCC systems in action ( local clubs/ shows) . Tey DCC threads will offer a range Id strongly help , and varying opinions!

Basically the divide  is between button based systems, and the App based systems ( although they also,often offer a hand set option ie ROCO Z21 + Rocomouse.

They are also an extra level of expense - basic DCC loco chips 20, sound chips 100, and controllers 150+.

However  modern UK / US / EU locos are DCC ready ( plug in chips, and some Japanese are DCC equipped. Older locos - buy a soldering iron!

Good luck and NGF'rs are here to help

NickR
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 10:23:11 PM by Railwaygun »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 08:44:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  :)

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything