!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Military Webshop  (Read 960 times)

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: Military Webshop
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 12:48:54 PM »
Hi,

The only way to produce obvious layer lines with this technique is by positioning the models the wrong way in the printer, but after about 250+ unique models you will start getting the hang of it. Sometimes it’s unavoidable on parts like mudflaps etc.

Out of the 3 vehicles mentioned only a Land Rover is planned. The Land Rover Lightweight is being drawn somewhere in the near future.

Kevin

Bad news for N Irish modellers
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 12:54:32 PM »
Kevin, it'd be great to see modern vehicles like Force Protection's Ocelot (known as Foxhounds in the British Army) and Cougar (known as Mastiffs, Wolfhounds and Ridgebacks in the British Army). Personally, I'd prefer 1:150 so that there's a bit of tolerance to play with.

@Panzer-Shop.nl
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 01:36:36 PM »
They are very good Kevin and what an impressive technique.  Also thank you for your PM re. British Cromwell tank.  This to 1:150 scale would be great for Warwell loads in the 1950/60s.

Many thanks

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbMLEwYTXc6fdwur2wOb0LA/videos

Online kirky

• N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 06:32:45 PM »
Im confused as to why 1/150th is being offered for British military vehicles. Why not the correct scale of 1/148th? Surely this is just a slight adjustment in the print file? @Panzer-Shop.nl Just wondering?
Thanks
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 06:53:39 PM »
Im confused as to why 1/150th is being offered for British military vehicles. Why not the correct scale of 1/148th? Surely this is just a slight adjustment in the print file? @Panzer-Shop.nl Just wondering?
Thanks
Kirky

Be grateful for the 1/150 scale. I've looked at six different Cromwell tanks in 1/148, and they were all oversize, which is obviously a pain in the posterior considering that they hung over the edge of wagons in real life.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Paddy

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 07:01:03 PM »
Totally agree @emjaybee.  If you could guarantee 100% dimensional accuracy then 1:148 would be OK.  However, 1:150 would give a wee bit of wriggle room and not be noticeable on something like a tank.

Kind regards

Paddy
London Midland Region

Online RailGooner

• Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 07:35:42 PM »
Thanks
Kirky

For clarity, 1:150 isn't being offered. Kevin offers the British vehicles in 1:160, which is fine for those modelling BAOR with Euro stock.

For those of us modelling British Outline, then yes, accurately scaled 1:148 would be ideal. But some of us (myself included) have found vehicles offered elsewhere as 1:148 aren't accurately scaled. So the same some of us are requesting that Kevin offer them in 1:150 so we have some wiggle room (TM Paddy :D ).
 :beers:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 07:36:50 PM by RailGooner »
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2019, 07:47:43 PM »
Thanks guys. Thats cleared that up then. Ask for 1/150th so that it is nearer 1/148th. What ever next?

Cheers
Northallerton will make its next public appearance at the LINCOLN MODEL RAILWAY CLUB ANNUAL EXHIBITION Feb 29th -1st Mar 2020

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline Paddy

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2019, 07:57:44 PM »
Hi @kirky

It all comes down to loading gauge if your plan is to use the models as train loads.  If it is over scale then your train will be out of gauge and may hit other stock on curves, whack platforms and/or other line side features.

If the tank is a wee bit too small then it will at least be within the British loading gauge.

Kind regards

Paddy
London Midland Region

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2019, 08:06:35 PM »
Hi @kirky

It all comes down to loading gauge if your plan is to use the models as train loads.  If it is over scale then your train will be out of gauge and may hit other stock on curves, whack platforms and/or other line side features.

If the tank is a wee bit too small then it will at least be within the British loading gauge.

Kind regards

Paddy
Hi @Paddy
I understand all of that. I am merely pointing out the absurdity of wanting the correct scale but having to order something different. Im beginning to wonder if when the cottage industry 3d printer bods work out their scales they are going down a 2 mm/ft rather than 1/148th. That would make it smaller though, as 2 mil is 1/152.
Cheers

Online Panzer-Shop.nl

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 09:18:30 PM »
Hi all,

A lot to unpack here,

There was a question about an Ocelot, I don’t have that. I do however already have the Cougar MRAP 4x4. I just linked it into the British section. I can get other versions of the Cougar pretty quickly as I already have the files. No problem, let me know if you want them and which specifick version you are looking for. Then i can take a look to what I do and do not have. @RailGooner

@others:
The whole scale thing is no problem for me. If you want a model in 1:148/1:150 or whatever you feel is good for you, just send me an email and I can rescale them for you. It won’t take much time, I will probably charge you €1 extra per models to compensate for material costs and time spent on rescaling and (if needed) test printing.

Interesting discussion though, the whole 1:150/1:148 thing. To me, as someone not from the UK, so not being used to that scale it feels like limiting yourself in available models, as N scale is regularly made in 1:160. Is British stuff usually made in 1:150/1/148? Genuinly a question, I do not know. I drive German WW2 or German Cold War trains.

Kevin
Panzer-Shop.nl

Online RailGooner

• Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2019, 09:46:01 PM »
Hi Kevin, thanks for your last post. I'll hopefully be ordering a Cougar or few after pay day.

The standard for British Outline N Gauge is 1:148.
 :beers:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 09:47:45 PM by RailGooner »

Online kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2019, 09:54:26 PM »
@Panzer-Shop.nl
And just to complicate things, the accurate 2mm scale used by 2mm finescale Modeller’s is 1/152.
Japanese N scale is 1/150
Europe and US is 1/160
Hope this helps.

Online RailGooner

• Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2019, 10:04:57 PM »
 I do however already have the Cougar MRAP 4x4. I just linked it into the British section.

:smackedface: Doh! Of course as soon as I read that, it dawns on me that I might find the Cougar in the USA section. And, sure enough.

While browsing the USA section, I noticed the WW1 Holt 120 Artillery Tractor. The Holt 75 was built under license in Britain by Ruston & Hornsby in Lincoln. Holt models were titled after the horsepower produced - Holt 120 produced 120 hp. In N I doubt that anyone could tell a 120 from a 75 or a 60, so I reckon you could list that in the British section too.

Online Panzer-Shop.nl

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2019, 10:44:46 PM »
Hi,

@RailGooner, Allright. Let me know if you want other Cougars! I will also take a look into the visual difference between a Holt 120 and a 75. If it’s virtually the same vehicle I can link that too!

@kirky, I knew the Japanese had a different number, I didn’t know they used it this close to home though. But like I said, small scale changes are no problem for me. I’m fine rescaling them!

With kind regards,

Kevin

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything