!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Noobie Coupler Question  (Read 132 times)

Offline JHSvensson

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
The Noobie Coupler Question
« on: September 03, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »
Graham Farish locos and coaches all come with Rapido styled couplers, from what I am able to determine. Does anyone convert these to Micro Trains knuckle couplers which are much more........not glaringly large?

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: The Noobie Coupler Question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 04:03:44 PM »
Microtrains have a much larger following in the US, where you can just get replacement "trucks" with them fitted, and you've not got buffers and associated paraphernalia to interfere. IIRC they don't do NEM ones (they certainly didn't), which makes converting UK stock much more awkward.

Dapol Easi-shunts are the obvious UK/NEM equivalent, a very similar implementation, possibly a bit more coarse, but still the same principal - a knuckle coupler worked by under track magnets.

Dapol also do a cosmetic "dummy knuckle" coupler which doesn't have the uncoupling functionality, but is much less visually obtrusive than either the rapido or the Easi-Shunt.

Offline JHSvensson

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 04:12:59 PM »
Ah Yes, I had overlooked the buffers issue. I will check the Dapol version.....which I just read about. :thankyousign:

Online BobB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27926
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 04:24:01 PM »
All my stock uses easy shunts, even when they need converting because the stock doesn’t have NEM sockets. Have not attempted to convert a locomotive without a NEM socket but most seem to be NEM anyway these days.

They all work fine as well as looking a bit better.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 04:27:58 PM »
Don't know what era you model, but the Farish 66 doesn't have NEM pockets. Probably an obvious one if you model modern image.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00
Site Currency: GBP
74% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything