!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Lightweight filler - any good for scenery?  (Read 263 times)

Offline silly moo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
Lightweight filler - any good for scenery?
« on: August 28, 2019, 02:17:34 PM »
You probably all know about this but it was new to me.

We needed some Polyfilla type stuff for repairing holes in the walls of our house. My husband came back with a small tub of One Strike Filler.

It is so lightweight that at first we thought the tub was empty. On opening it I was reminded of melted marshmallow. It spreads on easily and seems to work well.

I wondered if any forum members had used it for scenery. Iím building up the scenery on my layout using polystyrene and I think it will work well for filling gaps.

Has anyone else used it?

:NGaugersRule:

Online chrism

• Awards
Re: Lightweight filler - any good for scenery?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 02:42:03 PM »
I used something similar, just a different brand name I suspect, on Coniston and it seemed to work very well.
Like you, I started the scenery with polystyrene (the insulation board stuff, not packing material) and/or offcuts of wood, topped off with multiple layers of the filler. The tub says it can be used to fill holes up to 75mm deep in one application, but I found that a deep fill took ages to fully harden and couldn't be sanded without distorting it where the subsurface was still unset, so I prefer to apply thinner layers.
Once properly set, it sanded well and doesn't seem to have shrunk.

Offline silly moo

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 03:04:33 PM »
Iím using a combination of polystyrene insulation board and white styrofoam for my scenery. This lightweight filler promises to be quite good as itís much lighter than plaster of Paris and my layout is designed to be portable.

I have contacted the manufacturers to see what they say about its use with polystyrene/stryrofoam and have just done a test section on my layout.

Offline ScottishModeller

• N Gauge Society Number: 24524
  • 2mm Association Number: 4622
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 03:27:19 PM »
You probably all know about this but it was new to me.

We needed some Polyfilla type stuff for repairing holes in the walls of our house. My husband came back with a small tub of One Strike Filler.

It is so lightweight that at first we thought the tub was empty. On opening it I was reminded of melted marshmallow. It spreads on easily and seems to work well.

I wondered if any forum members had used it for scenery. Iím building up the scenery on my layout using polystyrene and I think it will work well for filling gaps.

Has anyone else used it?

Hi there,

I've been using the stuff since it became available in the UK.

Not all the DIY sheds keep stock though - it's a case of remember to look whenever you visit them.

Shelf life if unopened is about 3 months though - so don't buy too much at one go!

Thanks
Phil H
Thanks
Phil Holman

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 03:35:53 PM »
Thanks for the tip off, Veronica, and to Phil for the caveat

Online Bartercode

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 04:16:34 PM »
Although they set hard, they are soft enough to permanently indent if you apply pressure later - say dropping something heavy on a patch or accidentally pressing a finger in. Not a reason to stop using the stuff, but slight care when handling is necessary once set.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 11:00:47 AM »
The light weight stuff is good its just that generally ive found it more expensive than pollyfilla equivelents..

Offline silly moo

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 04:59:29 PM »
Iíve just discovered that you can thin this filler down with water and paint it on to the surface of styrofoam to fill in small indentations which makes it even more useful for me in particular.

Online chrism

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 05:40:48 PM »
Iíve just discovered that you can thin this filler down with water and paint it on to the surface of styrofoam to fill in small indentations which makes it even more useful for me in particular.

On a similar vein, I've found that a wetted finger works very well for smoothing the surface before it's fully hardened - saving on sanding afterwards.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 06:42:05 PM »
Definitely. Use the cheapest stuff available and use a wetted finger to smooth things off. I usually buy cheap tile grout.

Iíve been using that technique for years and it works a treat. Much better than over priced commercially available stuff like plaster bandages etc.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here