!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Jeff_W's Railfanning Thread - U.S. Railroads (mostly)  (Read 3414 times)

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Jeff_W's Railfanning Thread - U.S. Railroads (mostly)
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2019, 08:52:47 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Nice pics. Good to see a passenger train and fair play to you for braving the weather. In the third pic, did you think, well I'm soaking wet anyway, might as well get in the stream for this one  :D.

Seriously though, great stuff and keep it coming, it's one of my regular Forum breakfast reads now.

Cheers weave  :beers:

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 10:12:18 PM by weave »

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2019, 08:57:47 AM »
Some nice pictures again Jeff. The fourth picture with the loco' going over the bridge - is it an optical illusion or is the track sagging as it crosses the bridge?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2019, 10:06:21 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
    Very very nice Jeff, many thanks for posting
        regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Jeff_W

• Flickr - Bluegrass Railfan
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2019, 11:12:49 PM »
Some nice pictures again Jeff. The fourth picture with the loco' going over the bridge - is it an optical illusion or is the track sagging as it crosses the bridge?

I think there's a bit of a dip there with the terrain, but nothing too serious. My photo angle may exaggerate it a little bit too.

Offline Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2019, 11:06:49 PM »
A busy day on CSX's LCL Subdivision - September, 2014

On a late September morning back in 2014 I made my way north to CSX's LCL Subdivision, better known as "The Short Line". The LCL is a former Louisville & Nashville Railroad line, the L&N purchased it from its original owner way back in the 1870s. The line got the nickname "The Short Line" as it was shorter than competing routes between Louisville and Cincinnati, like the Southern in central Kentucky and the B&O across the Ohio River in Indiana.

The first train I came across was southbound Q573-28, a Cincinnati to Nashville manifest. I drove out of Sparta,KY on KY 35 (state road), which climbs a steep hill going out of town. There's a nice pull off about 3/4th of the way up, and if you're willing to stand by the side of the road, shots like these can be had. The barns are a favorite photo prop of many a railfan.
CSX Q573-28, Sparta,KY 9/28/2014 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr
After 573 passed, I went back down to Sparta and got on KY 467, in time to catch Q243, a southbound autorack train.
CSX Q243, Sparta,KY 9/28/2014 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr
I turned south, and drove about 15 miles to Worthville, where the main line between Louisville and Cincinnati meets the "Carrollton Railroad". The Carrollton Railroad is a branch line from Worthville that runs into Carrollton and onto Ghent, another little place along the Ohio River. Numerous industries are worked there, and today local train J767 (Cincinnati-Carrollton and return) has a variety of freight cars as it rolls onto the branch. This particular branch was also the location of the last revenue run for L&N steam in 1957.
CSX J767-28, Worthville,KY 9/28/2014 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr
I continued south, and had reached Campbellsburg in time to see Q504-28 rolling into the long siding there. I positioned myself and waited for the southbound train, which turned out to be Q511-28, and photographed them right near "downtown" Campbellsburg.
CSX Q511-28/Q504-28, Campbellsburg,KY 9/28/2014 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr
I rounded off my day of railfanning by catching Q133, an intermodal train and the only stack train on the LCL at the time, near Crestwood,KY, a suburb of Louisville.
CSX Q133, Crestwood,KY 9/28/2014 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2019, 12:11:33 AM »
Lovely late summer photos.  :thumbsup:

Oldham County Parkway looks very well kept!

And I love those high ballast shoulders!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2019, 11:35:22 AM »
Kato Unitrack ?

Offline Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2019, 02:01:18 PM »
I've been meaning to dig into the archives again and post something, I just haven't done so yet. I did photograph CSX train J765 the other day leaving Louisville. J765 is a "local", working industries between Louisville and Bowling Green,KY. The consist of the train usually tells you what they have to do that particular day. 765 works at Brooks (hoppers), Lebanon Junction on the old L&N Lebanon Branch (boxcars for Publishers' Printing), Elizabethtown (green Cab-o-Sil hoppers for Dow), with frame cars and scrap gons for Bowling Green. I think they may work one or two other places in between as well.

CSX J765-08, Fairdale,KY 10/8/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

I also haven't been out railfanning much because....
New arrivals by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
Kittens. These two guys were living under the outbuilding in my yard where I keep my N scale stuff. They were in pretty rough shape when I found them, needing to be bottle fed every few hours. After two weeks they're doing a lot better, up and around like they should be. Guess I'll have a few more spectators when I run my trains sometimes.

Offline Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2019, 03:15:39 PM »
Southern 4501 Chase, 10/4/2014

After arriving the night before, I made an early start from Chattanooga and drove south across the state line to a small town called Rock Springs, GA. I wasn't sure how traffic would be getting out of Chattanooga so I wanted to reach a spot where I wanted a photo. I'd seen other pictures with the old house so I knew it was something that would be decent. After being the first person there, more and more railfans started showing up. The guy who owns the car in this photo drove by our group (of about 35-40 people)and asked if we wanted the car in the shot. Nobody said no, which was the sensible thing to do! It made this shot all the better.
TRM 300, Rock Spring,GA 10/4/2014 (1) by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
Leaving Rock Spring, the pack of chasers headed south on the main highway. We finally reached a point where the road opens up enough alongside the tracks for a photo...there were a good 30-40 cars parked all along the road here.
TRM 300 / Southern 4501 /  10/4/2014 (1) by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
Not knowing the line well kinda limited my shots. Another photo, at LaFayette. The hi-rail truck kinda ruins any chance of making this shot look "old-timey".
IMG_9626a by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
We continued south towards Trion. There was another shot at south of town that I thought would look decent, with a steel trestle over a small stream.
IMG_9642 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
My final shot of the southbound run was of the train pulling into Summerville by the depot. A festival was being held in town and train riders had about 2 hours to look around.
IMG_9748a by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
While I had some downtime I went and shot this Central of Georgia caboose. The line 4501 ran on this trip belongs to a short line these days, but was originally CofG.
Central of Georgia X17, Lafayette,GA 10/4/2014 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
On the return trip, I snagged a shot of the train crossing over a Central of Georgia bridge at Rossville,GA. This required standing on a somewhat busy highway to do!
IMG_9774 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
Getting close to Chickamauga,GA. The hills around here are covered in kudzu, a weed that will literally overtake anything sitting around...be it structure, automobile, telephone pole or anything else that happens to sit around for awhile.
IMG_9790 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
Another shot at Rossville.
IMG_9813 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

I took one last photo of the train passing the Chattanooga National Cemetery. The small locomotive surrounded by tombstones in the foregrounds is the gravesite of eight of the Andrews' Raiders, who during the American Civil War, stole a train on the Western & Atlantic (in the middle of a Confederate army camp, no less) in attempt to destroy the railroad as they proceeded north. The raid might've failed but the story of it has certainly caught the attention of many over the years. The two main locomotives involved in the chase are still around, both located in museums in Georgia. More information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Locomotive_Chase  There's also a book on the ordeal called "Stealing the General" that is well worth the read.

The next morning I went into Alabama, to the small town of Bridgeport. There were several pieces of equipment sitting around.
345 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
349 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
355 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
While lurking around a BNSF powered coal train came through. BNSF rails do not run through here, but trains with run-through power do frequently. The coal comes from out west.
BNSF coal train, Bridgeport,AL 10/5/2014 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

More of the oddball power in the yard at Bridgeport. These belonged to a short line that operates there.
373 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
377 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
379 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

At Bridgeport, the former railway bridge over the Tennessee River has been converted into a walkway, where you can walk all the way across the old bridge to a small sitting area. The new railroad bridge parallels the old one, and offers some interesting perspectives when trains pass. Another BNSF powered coal train passed while I was on the bridge.
BNSF 8576 North / Bridgeport,AL 10/5/2014 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

After leaving the bridge I drove into Bridgeport proper, and heard CSX train Q133 calling signals. I snapped this photo of him from a hillside while knee deep in kudzu. The SD40-2 was a nice surprise.
CSX Q133-03, Bridgeport,AL 10/5/2014 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
Working back into Tennessee, I stopped at Tullahoma and photographed the power for another short line railroad, the Caney Fork & Western:
437 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
While in Tullahoma, I heard another southbound CSX train, Q211, with another SD40-2 leading.
CSX Q211-04, Tullahoma,TN 10/5/2014 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
I finished my long road trip with one final CSX southbound, seen here at a place called "Fosterville".
559a by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 03:20:31 PM by Jeff_W »

Offline RailGooner

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2019, 03:35:41 PM »
Thanks for the pics and narration Jeff. I can feel an Andrews Sisters song coming on! :D
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2019, 04:49:18 PM »
Wow!  :goggleeyes:
Great pictures as usual!!
We have our own prototype library here!  :o
Your descriptions makes so special on this phenomenal archive!
It makes so easy and useful when we translate these pictures for modelling usage.
Thank you very much for your tremendous contributions!
You should have your own independent section on this forum!

Hopefully kittens are doing well.

Dats
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Online cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2019, 07:29:25 PM »
 :hellosign::greatpicturessign:
 Many thanks Jeff, more superb photos & description really brings them to life
      regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2019, 08:04:33 PM »
Having just taken delivery of a 'BNSF' in orange, it is nice to see a picture of a real one doing its work.  They are all excellent pictures though, as usual.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2019, 08:06:51 AM »
Having just taken delivery of a 'BNSF' in orange, it is nice to see a picture of a real one doing its work.  They are all excellent pictures though, as usual.  :thumbsup:

I've got shots of nearly all of their paint schemes from one point or another, except the infamous "Vomit Bonnet" that was around and gone before I started. I do have that model in N from Kato though!

Offline Jeff_W

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2019, 08:41:22 AM »
Yesterday I traveled out to Western Kentucky to CSX's Henderson Subdivision. I had at least one new photo angle in mind that I wanted to try. I made it to Nortonville and all the way up to Slaughters (about 25 miles), parking at a farm implement place along U.S. 41. A small field sits between the RoW and 41 and was cleared not too long ago, opening up the view towards the tracks. After a short wait, Q029 came south, with nearly 9,600 feet of train.

CSX Q029, Slaughters,KY 10/17/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

I noticed it had CSX #1 leading, the "Spirit of West Virginia". Low numbered CSX diesels aren't common (for obvious reasons), so I gave chase. I've shot a few single digit CSX locos before, including #1, but wanted some more photos. (#3 is the one I'd really like to get, simply for the story behind it about its apparent "collision" with a UFO in 2002)

I raced down to Nortonville, my usual spot these days, and waited. When the train got close a large cloud rolled over, and I was thinking my shot was going to be ruined. The cloud moved on though,  and I got lucky.
CSX Q029, Nortonville,KY 10/17/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr
CSX Q029, Nortonville,KY 10/17/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

Fifteen minutes later, a second southbound, Q025 arrived, once again showing up just as the clouds cleared. 025 was over 10k feet in length and had CSX 819 as the DPU.
CSX Q025, Nortonville,KY 10/17/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

After Q025 passed it got quiet for awhile. There were several northbound trains (L512, J732, E013) but the light for northbounds isn't that great. I called it a day and began making my way towards home. When I got close to Leitchfield, I heard the Paducah & Louisville dispatcher talking on the radio. A local was working at Leitchfield, but a southbound had just been cleared through Vine Grove to the north. I got off the parkway at Eastview but couldn't find a photo angle I liked. I drove up the road a mile or so to Stephensburg, and gave this angle a try. Leading the train was one of the PAL's University paint schemes... I always seem to get the UofK engines...I want the UofL one.
PAL LG1, Stephensburg,KY 10/17/2019 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
117% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal