!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Transpennine Express loco-hauled service makes its debut today  (Read 360 times)

Offline gc4946

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
For lovers of loco-hauled trains, today was the launch of Transpennine Express class 68 + Mk5A 5-coach push-pull sets (Nova 3) between Liverpool and Scarborough.
Initially only one diagram is running but more services will be converted to LHCS as more crew are fully trained.

For up-to-date details on deployment see https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/tpe-mark-5a-coaching-stock-progress.143579/

Diagram from today until 29th August
5F48 0454 from Longsight sidings to Manchester Victoria
then
Mondays-Saturdays
1F84 0555 Manchester Victoria-Liverpool Lime St(0632)
1E25 0656 Liverpool Lime St-Scarborough (0940)
1F25 1041 Scarborough-Liverpool Lime St (1332)
1E39 1356 Liverpool Lime St-Scarborough (1640)
1F76 1744 Scarborough-Liverpool Lime St (2033)
1J53 2056 Liverpool Lime St-Stalybridge (2153)

Sundays:
1E29 0856 Liverpool Lime St-Scarborough (1140)
1F66 1241 Scarborough-Liverpool Lime St (1532)
1E43 1552 Liverpool Lime St-Scarborough(1839)
1F80 1944 Scarborough-Liverpool Lime St (2232)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 04:44:54 PM by gc4946, Reason: Added train diagram info »
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Offline GroupC

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Transpennine Express loco-hauled service makes its debut today
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 04:58:53 PM »
Thanks a lot, saw it - the one active revenue-earning set - go through York earlier carrying lots of people sea-ward. Makes a much more impressive trainlike noise than the ubiquitous units, even if the coach wheels look really titchy and pathetic and the driving cab (coach) looks like it was badly put together from several different designs.

Thanks for the diagram, v helpful.

I will refrain from saying "about time" (noooo, just said it!) regarding their late introduction.

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+33)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 05:00:38 PM »
ohhh, nearly proper trains  ::)

of course proper trains have the engine at the front, but these days you take what you can get  :thumbsup:
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 05:03:05 PM »
 the driving cab (coach) looks like it was badly put together from several different designs.

Should be easy for me to model it then. :D
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline gc4946

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5936
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 05:08:10 PM »
I've been following the topic on UK Railforums and lost count on how many times the dates slipped for Transpennine Express to place the first set in public service!
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Online acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 04:45:34 AM »
Hi All,

well I take this from a few people I know and well my prospective boss as well the Mk5 set that is been used while in public service is in effect a test! While you can carry out all the tests you want for reliability mileage accumulation, etc the real test after all this is real time usage so having real bums on seats so this set and possibly more sets will come in prior to widespread introduction to test the real world factors of the sets before wide scale introduction which well has been pencilled in for a few dates already.

Which to me makes sense when you consider post introduction issues some trains have had when operated in the real world (Pendolino toilets anyone), so while they have the fall back of the 22 class 185s that will become excess it makes sense in my eyes.

Just be interesting to see if they do the same for the Nova 2 (class 397) although considering they Nova 1 (class 802) are already in use elsewhere I would take a guess that they would be rolled into service more directly!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 04:49:01 AM by acko22 »

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 07:11:02 AM »
Agree with you there acko. The test for me would be reliability, punctuality, comfort and service and hopefully more positive comments

Online acko22

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 08:33:23 AM »
The test for me would be reliability, punctuality, comfort and service and hopefully more positive comments

Now reliability in the mechanical sense has been done with mileage accumulation (Off the top of my head I believe its 10,000 miles without major mechanical fault), punctuality they have proven with the test runs also (if anything ambitious turn arounds in the region of 20 minutes will do TPE the harm as it gives you little room for error if a service is delayed).

As for comfort well in most aspects yeah things will improve generally from what has gone before, although the seats on all modern units is a bone of contention the padding is err well I know i am not a fan personally but there is a reason for the rather bolt upright seat backs and it is all down to crash survival and well the design of seat has scored well when compared to other designs and in the industry safety is the number one factor (as well it should be).

These runs are mostly to test the human factor in the sense of designers and engineers look at things logically but you have to add in the chaos theory and the only way to do that is to introduce it to the illogical world of the travelling public nothing can break things better than a hammered adult or a 3 year old who is intent on destruction!
If you want proof of the chaos theory in action go to any station and watch those people that all crowd in front of  door to get on and wonder why the people cant get off when they are stood in the way!  :worried:

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 09:03:26 PM »
thank you for that helpful response, see whether anybody has experienced part of or whole of the journey and what opinions may be, but such a modellable , for better want of the word, train

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 09:25:19 PM »

As for comfort well in most aspects yeah things will improve generally from what has gone before, although the seats on all modern units is a bone of contention the padding is err well I know i am not a fan personally but there is a reason for the rather bolt upright seat backs and it is all down to crash survival and well the design of seat has scored well when compared to other designs and in the industry safety is the number one factor (as well it should be).

Crash survival - I smell a rat! So everyone has to suffer an uncomfortable journey all the time, just in case the one-in-a-million chance crash occurs. Or the chance of a crash is a lot higher than one in a million, so more people might be injured.

I don't see either of these cases leading to increased traffic on the railways!
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Online acko22

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 01:55:51 AM »

Crash survival - I smell a rat! So everyone has to suffer an uncomfortable journey all the time, just in case the one-in-a-million chance crash occurs. Or the chance of a crash is a lot higher than one in a million, so more people might be injured.

I don't see either of these cases leading to increased traffic on the railways!

No rat to smell - crash survival doesn't need to mean a huge horror crash, hitting the buffers at 10 mph is still a crash scenario and does cause injuries and happens more often that you may realise (Less that one in a million). Even an none emergency scenario when full brake application is induced on modern trains can be harsh so the design of the seats are there to reduce injury and have been proven to do so hence the shape of them.

As for why there is so little cushioning well that one I can't honestly think of a reason why they have skimped, as for increasing rail usage well honestly a good comparison is airline seats they have never been what I would call comfy in fact the opposite as many would agree but air travel continues to increase!

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 06:17:27 AM »
Another good point. A lot of investment, planning, thought and tests have been conducted and i would rather be safe than sorry though i would be happy on a comfortable seat designed with safety in mind than one i sat  on which broke under my posterior, sags, falls to one side and forces me to move like i experienced on a unit a while ago

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations