!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Want to train as a Steam Engine driver - UK shortage pending  (Read 381 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Want to train as a Steam Engine driver - UK shortage pending
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 08:27:38 AM »
Interesting discussion here. Interesting concept, full time preserved railway employee, but one that boils down to economics, and the government(!) I suppose.....

A job description which is "engine driver on preserved steam railways".....

Jobs advertised a a career option, full training given, young people apply, go through training, and then becomes their full time job.

On non-running days, the full time job then shifts to maintenance, etc.

In other words, a full career package.

It would solve the problem, but would require money and commitment from the appropriate powers that be, and that's not gonna happen in a hurry anywhere in the world at the moment, is it.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 09:47:34 AM »
Interesting discussion here. Interesting concept, full time preserved railway employee, but one that boils down to economics, and the government(!) I suppose.....
A job description which is "engine driver on preserved steam railways".....
Jobs advertised a a career option, full training given, young people apply, go through training, and then becomes their full time job.
On non-running days, the full time job then shifts to maintenance, etc.
In other words, a full career package.
It would solve the problem, but would require money and commitment from the appropriate powers that be, and that's not gonna happen in a hurry anywhere in the world at the moment, is it.

Precisely what happened and happens with my mate who is a driver on the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway.

He did have some grounding having been a volunteer at another railway first but saw the advert, applied, was accepted and trained up. When they aren't running he's usually on track maintenance.

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 09:57:05 AM »
carp scrapers - fish in the water tank?? or mispront?
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2019, 10:02:10 AM »
He did have some grounding having been a volunteer at another railway first but saw the advert, applied, was accepted and trained up. When they aren't running he's usually on track maintenance.

interesting chris.i have volunteered on a preserved railway - been stuck on a gate, in a car park, putting posters up, cleaning, sweeping, cleaning carriages, hoovering, moving benches, washing up at catering at a function, watering trains ' toilets, filling up, p way. i was asked to try my hand at bucketing coal, watering a saddle tank loco -its all hands on decks and invaluable learning and experience and

people thank each other,have a cold drink, tea, cake and chew the fat over, have a bit of banter, discuss loco regulators ' , history

we have teenagaers in catering, the shop, washing coaches with a hose, guarding, on a small loco helping under strict supervision, manning gates. we have elderly in a shop, catering, welcomming guests, visitors, watering plants and those who have been there years on the engines training others

Offline chrism

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2019, 10:17:08 AM »
carp scrapers - fish in the water tank?? or mispront?

Deliferate misspooling to avoid causing offence to any swear filter  :D

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2019, 10:22:40 AM »
It does feel there must be a middle ground - obviously you don’t want to give 18 year olds a 4-hour crash course and then send them on their way as a driver.

But as Bealman suggested I don’t see why you couldn’t reward more junior volunteers with a chance helping out on the footplate (emphasis on helping out) and why that would automatically incur the wrath of the RAIB.

It’s not just about having “staying power” to become a driver, that’s not proof that you’re suited to the job at all IMO. We train people to drive main line trains with no prior experience after all. Seems outdated that you have to work your way up to prove your worthiness on a heritage line.

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 12:26:47 PM »
Just because its how its always been done does not necessarily mean it has to be done that way

Modern train drivers do not go through the Cleaning Carriages first route, they are employed as Drivers and it does not make them any less capable as a driver does it.

Surgeons do not start their training cleaning hospital wards do they and it does not make them any less capable as a surgeon does it.

Knowing how to clean a carriage has zero bearing on how a Loco runs, ok maybe being a fireman first is a good thing so you understand things like pressure and how to maintain it, but anything that goes on behind the tender has little bearing on driving the train  8)

Just because its how its always been done does not make it the only way.

If they want to attract younger people they will have to move with the times

If they only want people who regard it as a weekend hobby then that's different

Remember we are not actually in the 19th century even if we are talking about practices from the 19th century
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything